‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/comic-con-2013-superman-batman-movie-will-follow-man-of-steel/

Let's assume this is true and does happen - how do you do such a film?

2. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure how you'd do it---we'll definitely have a great discussion about that---but I can't wait to see a World's Finest movie.

3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I already have a bad taste in my mouth over this news.

Superman doesn't need Batman's help with anything and Superman doesn't exist in his Universe; if he did there would be no need for a Batman. If they make them enemy's then that is just stupid!

They'd better have a hellava plan for this one.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Not excited about this. I'd rather have a sequel.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather have a MOS sequel... but I'd also much rather have a Batman/Superman movie than a Justice League movie.

Plus if they are heading towards a JL movie, this seems to me a MUCH better way to build up to it.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Exactly what I thought they should do...less set-up than a JL movie, but potentially bigger than The Avengers. The two most iconic superheroes of all time have never shared the screen in live action before. They're too big to be shoehorned into a JL movie.

The big question is--who's Batman? Bale? Gordon-Levitt? Or will they use this as a backdoor Batman reboot with a new actor in the role?

Bring it on, WB!

7. davejames

It definitely won't be Bale, but given the more grounded world of MOS, it seems almost certain this Batman will still be very similar to the Nolan version.

Although personally I'm hoping they finally ditch the all-black look.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't agree. Even Superman can't stop every crime, and with his power, he'd tend to focus more on the big, cataclysmic stuff. It makes sense to have another hero or heroes focusing on street crime. Also, someone who operates with a lower profile than Superman can probably achieve things he can't.

Besides, it's not as if Bruce Wayne saw a vacancy and filled out a job application. He fights crime because he has a deep personal need to. So he's going to do it even if there is a Superman. He'd see his role as taking care of the crimes that are below Superman's radar.

There I tend to agree. I think ComicsAlliance columnist Chris Sims argued very well that it makes sense for them to be allies rather than enemies:
    Anyway, I'd be a lot happier with this news if it weren't from Snyder and Goyer. Cavill as Superman, I love. But MoS got Superman horribly wrong in many ways, and the gratuitous and shallow excess of its final act turned me off of ever wanting to see a Snyder movie again. I'll be rather wary of this one as a result, which is a terrible shame, because I love the idea of a World's Finest movie.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Not sure how I feel about this. Loved Man of Steel but disliked the Dark Knight trilogy immensely.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

10. davejames

Plus Gotham has generally been regarded as being "Batman's turf", so Superman doesn't usually make many appearances there. At least not for the standard rescues and crime fighting.

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Great, Snyder and Goyer are going to drag both heroes down together now (although Goyer and Nolan pretty much took Batman to rock bottom anyway). Based off of MoS, I'm guessing we'll see Batman grab a pistol and outright shoot someone in this movie. At this rate, there won't be a good live action DC superhero movie until Goyer is too old to write :klingon:

12. davejames

Heh, you must not have seen Sucker Punch. Compared to that, MOS is the very model of restraint and good storytelling. ;)

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. Interesting. I suppose the thing will be whether it's truly a Batman & Superman movie or a Superman movie featuring Batman.

Just thinking off the top of my head - if the villain is Luthor perhaps Bruce Wayne comes to Metropolis to help with the reconstruction, discovers something shady going on and eventually he and Superman encounter each other?

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I can live with that.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The Hollywood Reporter is saying they're going to announce Superman/Batman for 2015, The Flash for 2016 and Justice League for 2017, or at least that there are tentative plans for the latter two.

16. davejames

Very cool if true. If they're going to do another standalone, the Flash seems like the best character to do it with.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Interesting. One appealing aspect of this theory is that this is something that we have NEVER seen in live-action before: not in the serials, not on television, not in the movies. And, Lord knows, it was something that SMALLVILLE fans were constantly asking for. ("When are we going to see Bruce Wayne?" was something of an endless refrain on this very board and elsewhere.)

So, you can make a case that there's a pent-up demand to see Superman and Batman together on the big screen. (Remember that "Superman/Batman" billboard in the background of the most recent I AM LEGEND movie?)

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love it if the film featured the John Blake Batman and was thus a sequel to both The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel. That would be fantastic. Probably very unlikely to happen, though. :)

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You know, you're right? Superman wasn't even in the Legends of the Superheroes comedy specials that teamed Adam West and Burt Ward with other Justice Leaguers and villains. His movie franchise was starting up around that time, so the specials couldn't get the rights to use him (or Wonder Woman, who had her own show).

Batman was a frequent guest on the Superman radio show in the '40s, mainly filling in for Superman when Bud Collyer was on vacation. But other than that, they've only met in animation.

Well, they gave us Bruce Wayne, but they called him Oliver Queen. ;)

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd rather have an alternate-universe Supergirl movie. :p