‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Hypothetically, if they did get Bale, they wouldn't have to waste time with a lot of setup. They can ignore Blake potentially becoming Batman, since we never actually saw that happen (offscreen, he could still be in training, but this movie doesn't need to get into that), and just say that Bruce came out of retirement for this (whatever exactly "this" is in the context of the story).

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The emergence of super-powered aliens causing mass destruction would be enought to serve as the "this".

Also, if Bale came back it would potentially open the door to other films in Nolan's Batverse, like a Catwoman film with Anne Hathaway and/or a Nightwing film with JGL.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry that just sounds like balls to me - why have such a complex backstory?

Batman turns up - what more needs to be said?

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I'd be willing to wager a great deal of money that Bale isn't coming back. They'd better go for Jon Hamm or Timothy Olyphant if they want a keeper to bring that spark to the franchise who might be interested in doing future films.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't see them casting someone in their mid to late forties - surely going to be early thirties like Superman.

6. Dorian Thompson

Who's available in their early 30s or late 20s who could provide the billion dollar spark? If they turn down the likes of Hamm or Olyphant, they're pretty short sighted IMO.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

These things happen Dohn. ;)

As for casting Bats, I think they'll want a contemporary of Cavill's. Jon Hamm would look like his uncle onscreen. It's possible that they'll look at the people who were runners up to Bale last time round (e.g. Jake Gylenhall) but even that was a decade ago and they might be casting 20-somethings.

Before Lone Ranger flopped, I would have said Armie Hammer might be a favourite but now I'm not so sure. Also, Cavill and Hammer are to co-headline Man from UNCLE, another WB movie, IIRC, and I think WB might be reluctant to have to relatively unproven (in their own right) actors topline not one but 2 franchises. I've a feeling that they might want a slightly bigger or at least more experienced name to play Batman but ultimately I think the characters, not actors, will be the draw here.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's not forget, this is the studio that insisted the sequel to The Dark Knight must have "Dark Knight" in the title...

9. The Old Mixer

But Bale requires the least amount of setup...he's already established as Batman, and comes with a tailor-made batsuit and potentially an established supporting cast (if needed). The setup doesn't need to go past a throwaway line or two to fill in those who've been paying attention to the Nolan Batfilms.

Putting more thought into it...even if they want to get Bale, it's a win/win for WB to say that they're recasting. If they don't get him, it won't be seen as a disappointment and a pre-production failure. If they do manage to get him, it can be played up as a major coup, and everybody looks good.

10. Dorian Thompson

Bale would cost a great deal of money

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

He'd be worth it from a commercial point of view.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's not about the money, it's about whether Bale even wants to do another Batman movie or not.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I was going to say the same thing, but then I remembered Robert Downey, Jr. was already in his 40s when he first played Iron Man. And contrasting the young, learning Superman with a more seasoned Batman has potential. So I agree it's more likely they'll go for early 30s, but I'm not completely ruling out the alternative.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

What would be the point in Bale? WB must want this movie to set up the new Batman franchise and the Justice League movie so re-cast because Bale is not going to be part of any of that.

15. The Old Mixer

Who says they're trying to set up a new Batman franchise. It's too soon, and they've got plenty on their plate without investing in that.

I'd dare say that if they seriously planned to start a new Batman franchise, introducing their new Batman in a Superman film would be problematic at best...but it works just fine if they only plan to use Batman in team movies for the time being.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Stark has always been middle aged though. Plus the character doesn't need to be in perfect physical shape, since he drives a high tech armor.

Batman needs to be relatively young, unless they want to go more Batman Beyond old mentor role. But I doubt the WB will want that since it is in their best interests to get another younger actor to start another solo Batman franchise.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

As I said earlier, if Bale would agree to appear in Superman vs. Batman and a couple of Justice League films I think they'd delay a rebooted Batman solo series until some years down the line. But Bale likely won't agree to it, so it'll be a rebooted Batman.

18. Dorian Thompson

I agree. I don't think he's interested at all....and he would cost too much.

19. The Old Mixer

See? WB has already done a masterful job of setting expectations low.

And RDJ costs too much as well.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Olyphant as Batman? Nooo. I mean, I love the guy on Justified, but he's no Batman.