Your Views on T'Pol

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Captain Zog, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Alex1939, please keep in mind that per the TrekBBS Rules, posting 3 times in a row is considered spamming. In future, use the "edit" and "quote" functions to respond to multiple posts.

2. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Me too, which is why I started to become more fond of her the further into
    the story we got. The more she played the character the more she became
    the character and by the end of season 4 I loved T'Pol.

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Well in that case, sorry about the spoiler. Thought maybe you'd just overlooked the scene in B'land.

4. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I view her breasts mostly...:lol:

5. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

Did not have a problem with T'Pol.

It did talke me almost a full season to understand the Vulcans of the 22nd century. They were so alian to me then understanding Spock and what I understood of the Vulcans of the 23rd century on.

With T'Pol and the Vulcans of her era, they were in a shift from having ships and fighting wars to a very passive type of Vulcan of Spock's era. It would have taken seven seasons to understand the change. Still, the damage to Enterprise because they did not have a long term plan with development of the series undermined the development of the Vulcans from being warlike to passive pushovers.

6. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

They were interesting! Still, with it being post 7 of 9 I do not think it had the same draw with the series. In fact, I think it was a total wash because it did drive people to the show as much as it did drive people away.

Fans of Voyager and Enterprise had to deal with it as this. Been there, debate that, and was tired of it.

7. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I'll be repeating what was said already:

Blalock knew her character could have been handled better, but she did a good job in portraying T'Pol. (She follows the previous Trek actors--Nimoy, Russ--who have portrayed Vulcans, and knew how Vulcans should have been portrayed).

I would have mentioned Mark Lenard, but I'm not sure whether he was vocal on his portrayal of Sarek.

8. flightmech73

flightmech73 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know Ive come in late on this thread but Id take any view of T'Pol I could get.

[​IMG]

9. Lashmore

Lashmore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My veiws on T'pol....

note these are my own opinions.

Anorexic, would hurt to make love to with those bones digging into you.

Badly written, not the best portrayed.

Final scene in Enterprise- she looked like she was coked up to the max on drugs barely able to stand on her own two feet.

Overall- never found her that attractive, never found her that convincing on screen....most of the time found her to most likely be stoned. And too skinny and fake...

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

::SOBS::

You just don't understand her.. and she's not anorexic she's gamine. Think anime.

11. Lashmore

Lashmore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hence 'fake'

12. cyph

cyph Captain Captain

Yup, it's her charming akward moments that allowed her to grown on me. Especially in season 3 as she became more in touch with her emotions, I was constantly rooting for her character to become more and more human! Kinda like my feeling with seven of nine... only without the limitations of her stupid corticle node

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Actually, looking at season 4 T'pol makes me wanna sob too. BTW IIRC, the reason behind Blalock's appearance was illness, but did she ever say what exactly was she suffering from? Anorexia is an illness to, no?

14. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

I thought Jolene did an excellent job of developing her character over the four years and could have done even more if they had the next three. TPol was my second favorite character in the series. It was interesting to see that over her four years on board Enterprise, many of her beliefs as a Vulcan and been challenged. Jolene took the T'Pol character from a Vulcan who disliked Humans and progressed her to tolerating them; to eventually becoming part of the crew; all the way to falling in love with a human. We learned that she always had difficulties controlling her emotions and that deep down, she really wanted to embrace them. While I've always thought Jolene was a marginal actress at best, but what she did with T'Pol was outstanding.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  15. Bluejay

Bluejay Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like T'Pol though I wasn't very sure of this "new" Vulcan, since Spock is the model of all Vulcans I have in my mind. :P I like the evolution of her character. One question that came to mind was why did she continue to stay with the humans after the initial mission? I put that down to :

curiosity : about humans, emotions, possibly an obligation to Archer for saving her and that she would not have another opportunity to access / observe humans up close if she returned to Vulcan. If she resumed her post on Earth, her contacts with humans would be limited since Vulcans are supposed to remain in the compound after hours. In a way, it's a route out of the rigid strictures of High Command.

Her gradual warming up to the humans could be seen when she no longer smell :p them, exhanged little digs / jokes with Trip and Archer and became more cordial with the rest of the crew ; getting another half hour of sauna? I mean Hoshi and Malcom were so sure she'd agree to it. Which she did. :)

Did Jolene do a good job? Yes, to me she did. I like T'Pol. And I'm very sorry the writers misused the char (and Jolene) by being lazy to build up the foundations of the relationship between her and Trip.

I don't have a problem with the catsuit although I thought maybe she should be wearing something stiffly formal (Vulcan uniforms) initially before it gave way to something else when she resigned her commission. By rights, she ought to be wearing a Starfleet uniform once she signed on with them. But I guess, the powers that be thought differently. Which is a pity. Character is more important.

Too bad the series was cancelled, I figured given a chance (really, if some ppl would pull up their socks), T'Pol would have shone as brightly as Spock. As it is, I'll have to look to books to keep a tab on the development of this char.

She'll definitely never read this but ...

To Jolene Blalock, thanks for your efforts in giving us T'Pol. May you succeed in your future endeavours.

16. Middleman

At one point there were rumors going around that Jolene had "cocaine problems" around that time. If that was true, it would explain a lot of things. As far as her being "gamine", Jolene has always admitted to being a "wild child", particularly during Enterprise and before.

17. Bluejay

Bluejay Lieutenant Red Shirt

*sigh* What's with the members of the acting guild? *shakes head* Never mind, plenty of reasons abound. Whether be it hundreds of years ago or in the future, problems like these crop up like weeds. In the end, only the individual can decide whatever path he/she wants to take.

18. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Wow, this brings all that Trellium-D controversy to a whole new level of irony ;)

19. Middleman

Indeed it does, if the rumors were true.

20. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

She looked sickly in S4 because she got the flu. You'd be surprised what a bout of that can do to you when you can't keep any food down and it's hard to keep hydrated, especially when you don't have much for body fat to start with. As for looking thin, she was built like a surfer, probably because she was a surfer. People who starve themselves don't look toned and muscular the way she did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.