Your Views on T'Pol

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Captain Zog, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

T'Pol looked like being an interesting character, and then the writers decided to give her emotions, which totally ruined it for me. I liked Spock and Tuvok because they were emotionless and reacted to situations completely differently from everyone else.

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Imagine Tim Russ in a purple catsuit...

Spock was hardly emotionless, and Tuvok cared for his crew mates, but in a profoundly Vulcan manner. There were examples where it was obvious that his Vulcan stoicism was merely a facade (like when he got that first letter from home, he was BS-ing Neelix about how "the content won't change, whether he reads it right away or later" when in fact he was dying to read it).

I liked the idea of loosening T'pol a little bit, making her appear more comfortable around her shipmates, but I didn't like the idea of her 'loosing it.' She could have developed romantic feelings for Tucker without trellium. If it was possible for Sarek, then it would have been possible for her too (and she obviously cared about Archer quite a bit, well before season 3).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  3. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me one of the problems with T'Pol was that she was so obviously an attempt to reproduce the 7of9 effect. Have an attractive woman in a tight catsuit to get the lads watching. Now I personally have no objection to attractive women in tight catsuits, indeed I'd be a lot happier if there were more of them, especially in my everyday life, but with T'Pol there really was very little else. I found her romance with Tuck and the whole Trellium-D business to be rather clumsy, a tacked on attempt to give her some depth.
    It might have been more interesting if, instead of slavishly copying the 7of9 'ice maiden' demeanour, they went the total opposite route. A brilliant scientist who excels because of her passion and excitement. Able to use logic, but not a slave to it. Sceptical, but always looking too be proved wrong, because that is how we learn new things.

4. Mossura

Mossura Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL. It does seem to fit!

5. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought T'Pol (probably my fave ENT character) demonstrated a subtle sense of humour. Often her comments appeared to have been carefully chosen to be sarcastic, delivered in Vulcan manner. T'Pol appeared to have a very good understandfing of humans.

But TATV was set a few years after the rest of the series. Drug addiction etc. had taken its toll and I rather liked the T'Pol that appeared there - a rather lonely character who had been greatly affected by her travels but not necessarily in a good way.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Wow, a second. So I guess there's more of you who actually like TATV characterizations... I'm sad now... *takes his ENT DVD's and throws them into a trash can*

7. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

Yes, there were some people who thought she should be a pointy-eared human since she was the ship's babe.

8. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with Indranee. I think T'Pol had a lot of potential and think the actor did a marvelous job considering she did in fact get jerked around ... especially in seasons 3 and 4.

Frankly, I liked the "unemotional" T'Pol as depicted in season 2 -- she had warmth without being overly emotional. And I found her to have an amazing sense of humor, like Spock. Instead of the "wink, wink, she has a sense of humor" as they poorly did in Bound, she got in wry jokes like in ANIS that made the humans wonder exactly what she meant. And that's exactly like Spock.

I wish they'd stuck with that T'Pol. I agree with the poster that they used the actor for T&A too much, and there was her downfall. Who cares about romance, just make a decent character who we like and understand. Worked for Spock.

9. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dude! Don't throw out your ENT DVDs just 'cause a small but vocal minority didn't truely hate TATV! Just remember the good times you had with the other episodes! :)

10. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

The problem I had with T'pol, just to much like 7 of 9. Sure, she understood herself and 7 of 9 did not until a year after she joined the show. Really, place T'Pol and seven in the same room and what you get

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

:drool: :drool: :drool:

12. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

...is a raging hardon... Sorry... :p

13. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked T'pol, she was a good character, one of the best on enterprise, after trip and reed

14. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

There were only and repeat only two female characters with Enterprise. Hoshi and T'Pol and both were to match two different styles of what a star trek woman was to be.

Yes, she was a copy of 7 of 9 in a catsuit and I did not really wanted to revisit that topic with Enterprise. Think it was harder for T'Pol in the catsuit as she became a member of the crew and she was also a Vulcan.

As a Vulcan she would understand that the catsuit would draw people to look at her body and since it was not the custom of a Vulcan to want sexural relationships with humans why be in the catsuit. Second, as a Vulcan she would understand the male crew of Enterprise would be more interested in her more in sexural terms because of the outfit it begs the question why have it on.

YES, it was to bring attention with the male viewership then the males on the ship.

Anyway, other then that I really did not have a problem with T'Pol period.

15. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Never understood the criticism. I thought she was great character. Jolene did great with what she had to work with, which in some cases was poor writing.

Still, as a Vulcan with little prior experience with humans, learning to live with humans and dealing with her own emotions, both in the vulcan way, and the drug induced way...

I dunno, she helped make the show enjoyable to me.

16. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

True, but she had to deal with the poor writters that molded her character. Maybe, she was willing to go along with the story and maybe not. It is just me, but the way I see it the actors really did not have much they could do with a pushback with how their character was going to be.

17. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

T'Pol was the reason I kept watching Enterprise beyond the premiere. Enough said.

That said, even to someone whose knowledge of Voyager was limited to the UPN commercials I saw on my other shows, T'Pol looked like a Seven of Nine clone from the outside.Come ON. Did we really need two ice queen sexpots on back-to-back Trek shows? The trellium did her no favors, and became quite clearly the cheap tool for romance that it was--one that, if opinion on TBBS represents the overal viewer audience, was not needed.

Besides that, I agree with Commie. Pre-season 3 T'Pol rocked.

18. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

does no one get my humor or references?

"Shuttlepod One?" Malcolm Reed? come on...

19. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

T'Pol was quite good. At first when she was stoic/Vulcan/bitch, I found her quite unlikeable, and didn't really understand how she warmed to a human crew, nor them to her. I think by the end of Shockwave Part 2 though (ignoring the rest of the poopy episode), she's become an outspoken supporter of the Enterprise, which was much better for her character. I enjoyed her throughout season 2, despite a lot of mediocre episodes. The turn he character took in season 3 when she became hooked on Trellium was interesting, but I just never bought into the Trip/T'Pol relationship. I felt too much time was wasted on something that wasn't developing properly.

Jolene Blalock was very good in the role, I thought.

20. Ezri II

Ezri II Captain

REALLY ... I do not have that problem even when I am in a community womens shower :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.