• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Your ranking of the Star Trek series's!

DS9 - I loved the stations stationary nature, allowing a much deeper dive into the featured stuff like Bajorans and Cardassians than we could get on a ship-board show where we get 45 minutes to introduce and develop a race or culture or world and then bam, next episode we are going to be 70 light years away…. great setting, characters and, once it got into the Dominion arc, gripping storylines.

LD - I love how it had fun *with* Trek and all it’s quirks but never seemed to be laughing *at* it (or its fans).

TOS - plenty of stuff didn’t age well, but this is where it all came from, so, respect is earned.

SNW - a few silly episodes every now and then, but even my beloved DS9 had ‘run along home.’

ENT - I wanted more from the writing, particularly for anyone not named Archer, T’Pol or Trip, but it had some cool stuff, and is one of the few I can rewatch without a ton of fast-forwarding or skipping entire episodes.

PRO - it was for kids, so I gritted my teeth and ignored the slime dude, and focused on how cool it was to have a Tellarite, a Brikar and a Medusan on the crew.

TNG - also didn’t age well, IMO, and not generally rewatchable for me, except for favorite episodes like Darmok. Still, like TOS, it established a ton of great stuff that makes it foundational.

SFA - hard to place, since it’s barely out of infancy. Still, freshman year is over and we still don’t really know who Genesis is? I want to like it more than this, but it’s fighting me.

DISC - a problem I have with many shows is a knee-jerk contrarian nature that results in me liking ‘lower decks’ type characters and resenting any character that i feel like the writers are shoving in my face. I would have liked more development of Owo, Detmer and Airam, for instance, and about 93% less Michael Burnham. Every time she defied orders and the story bent over backwards to make everyone else wrong and her right, I wanted Saru to snap and toss her out an airlock.

VOY - I didn’t forget this one, I just didn’t like it. 🙂
 
Eh, I did forget PIC, but it would have gone at or near the end anyway, for the same reasons as Discovery. I liked Soji and Captain Rios and by season 2, Jurati. I even liked Elnor and the Romulan bad brother, but pfft, gotta write them all off so we can catch up on what everyone Picard’s ever served with is doing. I’m happy for all the folk that wanted to see them all again, but I am that nut who wanted to see Rios, Soji, Elnor, Jurati, etc form the backbone of a new crew.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sim
STRANGE NEW WORLDS
THE NEXT GENERATION
THE ORIGINAL SERIES
PICARD
DISCOVERY
LOWER DECKS
PRODIGY
ENTERPRISE
THE ANIMATED SERIES
VOYAGER
DEEP SPACE NINE
STARFLEET ACADEMY
 
Even my least favorite show has a lots of episodes I like, and my favorite has a few stinkers, but here goes.

DS9. Head and shoulders above the rest, but a big part of that for me is that my absolutely favorite sci-fi show ever is Babylon 5, and DS9 comes closest to that in both the fact that it's mainly set on a space station and can have a true ensemble cast with lots of secondary characters who nevertheless get some character development, and it gets the balance between episodic storytelling and longer story arcs just right to match my preferences.

ENT. This show has its flaws, I'll grant you. But I also like the way it's the start of an era, with a cramped ship and tech that didn't always work and wasn't always safe to use (in later eras I'm surprised they continued to use the holodeck given how often it malfunctioned, sometimes with dire consequences). I also liked the fact that they didn't assume humanity had evolved so far as to eliminate all conflict between crew members, that's not realistic and I don't expect us to ever get there. My least favorite is season 3 because as much as I like story arcs with real character development, when the premise of the story doesn't grab my interest it gets a bit tedious.

TNG/VGR/PIC season 3. I originally became a Trek fan thanks to TNG. I still quite like it, especially after the second half of season 3 when Roddenberry was no longer around and they could write more interesting (IMO) stories. That said, I do think it was sad that Tasha Yar was never really given anything truly substantial to work on so I don't blame Denise Crosby for leaving the show. VGR was more of the same, just in another quadrant, and with a female captain. Originally I detested Seven because of the way she replaced Kes, but later I came to appreciate the depth of the character. The fully human characters were bland in comparison. I loved the last season of PIC because it was a great conclusion for the main TNG characters and Seven (and seeing Seven as the captain of the Enterprise-G was great).

TOS. None of the rest would be here without it. But parts of it have aged really poorly, and the casual misogyny is painful to watch at times. But at its best it's really good. (One reason why I like STC so much is that they've taken the basic premise and tell stories that could fit with the original show while eliminating pretty much all of the casual sexism.)

TAS. Worth seeing at least once, at least if you're a TOS fan. Most of the episodes are average and there are a few stinkers, but just Yesteryear makes the whole thing worth it.

PIC season 1 & 2. Traumatized Picard is a bit much, but I quite like the new characters, especially Raffi. But I also felt that the seasons could've been a bit shorter, as it was they dragged on a bit. That's my biggest complaint with arc-based storytelling, even the shorter seasons sometimes feel too long to sustain the plot.

I haven't seen the rest and don't feel any particular wish to do so.
 
I rank the first five live action series all about the same as good.
I rank everything else as haven't seen.
 
As an old man I grew up with TOS, however it's not at the top of my list, but have to admit the redone episodes with better external special effects does bring it up a notch. As with all series, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Here is my opinion...

1) TNG the first few episodes were painful to watch, but it it got really good around season four (IMHO).
2) VOY didn't really like the Kazon storyline, but after that I enjoyed most episodes.
3) DS9 didn't really follow Roddenberry's vision, but had great character development and flowed well.
4) PIC mainly for nostalgic reasons and a closure to some threads, and I loved the Easter egg.
5) ENT tech seemed more believable, some decent story lines.
6) TOS seen most of them way too many times over the decades to truly capture my attention any longer.
7) SNW could really get past season one.
8) DIS quit watching after the first three or four episodes.

Haven't watched any of the other assortment of series. I don't know about others, but when things seem too preachy or like they are trying to FORCE an agenda or social issues, it detracts too much from the narrative and just irritates me. Since new stuff is now pay to watch, I'm not going to pay have something shoved into my face that I'm not interested in watching and am less willing to give the benefit of the doubt to.

Star Trek has always pushed the social envelope from the TOS days, and that is all well and good, but they were free to watch and if a truly lame (TOS The Way To Eden) episode showed up, one could catch the next weeks... and there were more episodes in a season to catch your attention and keep you coming back.
 
1.) DS9.
2.) TNG
3.) TOS
4.) Voyager
5.) Enterprise
6.) SNW

Don't care about the rest.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sim
Top Tier:
1. TNG
2. TOS
3. DS9
-------
4. SNW
5. LD
6. PRO

2nd Tier:
7. VOY
8. ENT
9. PIC
10. DISCO
----------
11. TAS
12. SFA
13. Short Treks

Movies:

Top Tier:
1. Wrath of Khan
2. The Undiscovered Country
3. The Voyage Home
4. First Contact
5. The Search For Spock

2nd Tier
6. The Motion Picture
7. Beyond
8. Insurrection
9. Star Trek
10. Generations

Bottom Tier
11. The Final Frontier
12. Nemesis
13. Into Darkness
----------
14. Section 31
 
I'm sure this was done before a lot of times, but I couldn't find an active thread about it ... so if I overlooked it, sorry for that.

I'd like to know: What's your personal ranking of the various Star Trek series's? Include the movies, if you like.

Here is mine:

The "gold standard":
1. TOS (including movies), TNG (including movies), DS9 (shared spot #1)

Really good:
4. SNW
5. LD

Okay, but with some flaws:
6. PIC
7. ENT
8. Abrams movies

Mixed bag:
9. PRO
10. VOY
11. SFA
12. TAS

Not my cup of tea:
13. DSC
14. Section 31

How about you? :)
DS9
ENT (best Pilot IMHO)
TOS
TNG
LD
PRO
SNW (not fully seen)
VOY



TAS
PIC (boring)
DIS (MEH)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sim
1) (equal): DS9 & TOS. TOS has a unique feel, classic stories and great character dynamics; DS9 pushed the boundaries at a time when Trek was otherwise formulaic, and has more complexity and depth than the others.

3) DISCO. The most exciting and interesting Trek has been since DS9's peak, even if it never quite stuck the landings of the long-term stories in the first few seasons.

4) VOY. Threw away its concept, and too often got stuck in Trek tropes, but usually fun (if dumb).

5) TNG. Some of the best of Trek but a lot of the most boring, stiff and formulaic too. Great to rewatch with a lot of skipped episodes, painful without it.

6) PIC. Like DISCO, often didn't stick the landing, and got stuck in turgid nostalgia-bait at the end, but it added depth to old characters and introduced interesting new ones (still bitter about what happened to Rios and Jurati).

7) SNW. Often good, but the tone and style are all over the place - and the comedy often really isn't that good.

8) ENT. A bit juvenile and didn't take advantage of its setting enough, though still largely enjoyable.

9) LDS. Never got to really care the characters, which made it just a series of hit-and-miss jokes.

10) SFA. Not too bad, and Holly Hunter is awesome; just lacking any great episodes so far.

11) TAS. Haven't managed to get through this, despite owning the DVDs for decades.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sim
My ranking of ST series:

1. Patrick Stewart/Brent Spiner/John de Lancie*
2. Nana Visitor/Armin Shimerman/Max Grodenchik
3. Leonard Nimoy (who, as Sheldon Cooper would agree, is actually a Vulcan only pretending to be hoo-maan! Like Clark Kent and Superman. But IRL.)/DeForest Kelley (I'm a proctor, not a proctologist!) /The Shat (who shat on all of us by going to space at age 90.)
4. Lower Decks. For reminding us why Star Trek is failing in the 21st Century. Despite proliferating...like cancer.
5. Robert Picardo/Jeri Ryan/Roxann Dawson

And everything else. I love everything Star Trek. Even Sonequa Martin-Green!

*Oh the joy of Q being restored his powers!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sim
In order from my favorite to my least favorite. This is just my personal preference, not an attempt to assess which is "best."

1. TOS
2. TNG
3. DS9
4. TOS movies
5. Voyager
6. TNG movies
7. Picard season 3
9. Lower Decks
10. Picard seasons 1-2
11. TAS
12. Everything Else (none of the rest interests me at all)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sim
This is hard because I love almost everything and trying to organise what I love slightly more than something else is difficult and can wobble depending on the current mood. Not including any films because this is just a series ranking after all.

DS9 is and I do suspect forever will be the top spot.

Lower Decks could take second spot, it's both wonderful Trek and a wonderful Trek parody that never ceases to delight. Maybe it delights too much because it can make me laugh to the point of shortness of breath.

Strange New Worlds is probably going third but at as a currently running show that could of course change but so far I love it all.

Picard goes fourth on the caveat that I am only discussing the first two seasons which I adore. If it must be viewed holistically it will not so feel free to shunt everything up where appropriate.

Academy takes fifth spot, as with SNW it's ongoing nature does make it subject to change but with only one episode I've not loved it's going very very strong. It's premature end will always be a black eye for it.

Discovery is sixth. A wonky start that then builds into a very strong series. My thoughts on Discovery season 1 were initially very strong but while I still don't like it it has been used effectively as a great tool for other stories.

VOY is seventh, hit and miss in its early years but it grows into a wonderful show, it's unfortunately carried by only half of its cast for several reasons but there's just so much good here.

Enterprise takes eighth after much internal debate. The show has some identity crisis issues early on but is not without bright spots and eventually builds into something that shines. Apart from whatever the hell they were thinking with TATV.

TNG takes ninth to even my surprise but the amount of misses even when considering the incredible hits do just nudge it below ENT. It was fierce competition between the two.

(If I must view Picard with all three season it goes here. Yeah season 3 is that damaging but more on that later).

Now we enter the not my cup of tea portion of it. Or maybe it is my cup of tea but it's a cuppa that's gone cold.

TOS takes tenth spot. I was introduced to it at a very early age I was raised to be a Trekkie with all shows and films after all. But there's a cultural disconnect due to my age however I will always respect it for being responsible for the franchise I love. And my respect for the characters and the dash nothing itself have grown with SNW.

TAS takes eleventh. Again we're in this doesn't resonate with me category but it does introduce some cool new aliens.

Now we enter the less forgiving territory of firmly not my cup of tea, in fact I think this is coffee so take it back. If we were including films the Kelvin universe would be in this category none of the others would.

Prodigy is getting twelfth. Not resonating ended up at the most extreme end of the spectrum here to the point of actively hating it. The cadets, the Protostar, the monstrous redesign of the Dauntless, the inclusion of Jack Crusher and not telling Robert Beltran where to go shove it just have me completely disavowing this series in a way only...

Picard season 3 can understand. My feelings on this season are well documented and if I can segregate it from the rest of the show it goes here on the pedestal as the single worst offering from the franchise

Now I know my feelings on Prodigy might be somewhat controversial I know it has a dedicated fanbase, my disavowing of it is purely within the confines of my cranium and I do not at all begrudge anyone for liking it and I certainly do not plan on ever visiting the Prodigy discussions to voice this opinion. I just pretend the show doesn't exist and don't engage with it but it was relevant to discuss it here. I also don't really have any reason to visit TOS discussions for much the same reason.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sim
1 DS9
2 TNG
3 ENT
4 VOY
5 TOS
6 SNW
7 Disco
8 PIC
9 TAS

I havent seen LD, Prodigy or Academy yet because they don't interest me as much
 
TOS
TOS/Reboot movies
DS9/VOY (different strengths and weaknesses)
TNG movies
...
LD
TNG
...
ENT
TAS
...
DIS
SNW
PIC

What I saw of Prodigy seemed like a good show set in a non-Star Trek universe.
 
Even my least favorite show has a lots of episodes I like, and my favorite has a few stinkers, but here goes.

DS9. Head and shoulders above the rest, but a big part of that for me is that my absolutely favorite sci-fi show ever is Babylon 5, and DS9 comes closest to that in both the fact that it's mainly set on a space station and can have a true ensemble cast with lots of secondary characters who nevertheless get some character development, and it gets the balance between episodic storytelling and longer story arcs just right to match my preferences.

ENT. This show has its flaws, I'll grant you. But I also like the way it's the start of an era, with a cramped ship and tech that didn't always work and wasn't always safe to use (in later eras I'm surprised they continued to use the holodeck given how often it malfunctioned, sometimes with dire consequences). I also liked the fact that they didn't assume humanity had evolved so far as to eliminate all conflict between crew members, that's not realistic and I don't expect us to ever get there. My least favorite is season 3 because as much as I like story arcs with real character development, when the premise of the story doesn't grab my interest it gets a bit tedious.

TNG/VGR/PIC season 3. I originally became a Trek fan thanks to TNG. I still quite like it, especially after the second half of season 3 when Roddenberry was no longer around and they could write more interesting (IMO) stories. That said, I do think it was sad that Tasha Yar was never really given anything truly substantial to work on so I don't blame Denise Crosby for leaving the show. VGR was more of the same, just in another quadrant, and with a female captain. Originally I detested Seven because of the way she replaced Kes, but later I came to appreciate the depth of the character. The fully human characters were bland in comparison. I loved the last season of PIC because it was a great conclusion for the main TNG characters and Seven (and seeing Seven as the captain of the Enterprise-G was great).

TOS. None of the rest would be here without it. But parts of it have aged really poorly, and the casual misogyny is painful to watch at times. But at its best it's really good. (One reason why I like STC so much is that they've taken the basic premise and tell stories that could fit with the original show while eliminating pretty much all of the casual sexism.)

TAS. Worth seeing at least once, at least if you're a TOS fan. Most of the episodes are average and there are a few stinkers, but just Yesteryear makes the whole thing worth it.

PIC season 1 & 2. Traumatized Picard is a bit much, but I quite like the new characters, especially Raffi. But I also felt that the seasons could've been a bit shorter, as it was they dragged on a bit. That's my biggest complaint with arc-based storytelling, even the shorter seasons sometimes feel too long to sustain the plot.

I haven't seen the rest and don't feel any particular wish to do so.
I've always wondered why people hated Raffi so much! Michelle Hurd is such a good actress! I love Raffi! Oh I hated Kes btw. No substance. I loved Neelix.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top