Your favorite episode by season?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by BlueStuff, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season 1 - Conspiracy or The Big Goodbye
    Season 2 - The Measure Of A Man
    Season 3 - Yesterday's Enterprise or The Best Of Both Worlds
    Season 4 - Legacy
    Season 5 - Darmok
    Season 6 - Relics or Ship In A Bottle
    Season 7 - All Good Things

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It's been since it originally aired since I've seen Darmok entire episode, and I've caught a piece of the episode in the past year or so in rerun. From what I remember of it, it was just multiple repeatings of Darmok and Gilad on the ocean, etc repeated over and over again.

I've noticed it seems to be a very popular episode amongst fans. Can anyone remind why it's so good in the (seemingly) majority opinion?

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

My two cents is that it's imaginative and original. I even think it's mind-altering. It manages to convey both the incomprehensibility of foreign language and the process of illumination, by allowing us to share in Picard's learning of the language. It makes no difference that a 24th Century computer ought to have been able to figure it out, because frequently in every series Star Trek characters suffer from problems that real people won't suffer from then.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

I don't think a 24th century computer would be able to figure out the language in Darmok, but then I don't buy the essential basis of the "universal translator" - it's a convenience for the sake of the show's format that doesn't have much to do with what language is or how it works.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Season 1 -- 11001001
    Season 2 -- The Measure of A Man
    Season 3 -- Sarek
    Season 4 -- Family
    Season 5 -- The First Duty
    Season 6 -- Chain of Command, Part II or Tapestry
    Season 7 -- Preemptive Strike or All Good Things...

6. CorporalCaptain

I was going by the success of Watson on Jeopardy and the fact that the vocabulary the Tamarians used was evidently all in the Federation databases. The sentence that Data put together required only the kind of association to decipher that Watson has since proved capable of. Even if the computer couldn't have done it all on its own, the idea that their language remained incomprehensible for decades is a stretch, assuming the Federation thought it was important enough to devote resources to deciphering it. Nevertheless, this didn't keep Darmok from being my favorite pick for season five, and the fact that it regularly stimulates a lot of discussion is also indicative of its significance.

It's also clear that the episode addresses the issue of communication with a lot more depth than simply waving a universal translator at the problem.

7. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Season 1 - Conspiracy
    Season 2 - Measure Of A Man
    Season 3 - Yesterday's Enterprise
    Season 4 - The Wounded
    Season 5 - Cause & Effect
    Season 6 - Timescape
    Season 7 - All Good Things...

8. Admiral Buzzkill

This assumes that words mean what Watson are told they mean. In fact, though all the words used by the Tamarians had understood definitions this had very little to do with what they meant to the Tamarians - why they were used in the context that they were, among other things.

A simple word like "dog" means any number of things in English and only a couple of them are easily deciphered by a new speaker of the language. The noise "dog," BTW, means absolutely nothing - the sounds have no objective relationship at all to the definition.

9. CorporalCaptain

Well, case in point; the episode generates a lot of discussion, much of it deep, and that's why the episode is worthwhile. :techman:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  10. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Besides being intriguingly conceived, intelligently written, and splendidly performed by Stewart and Winfield, I consider "Darmok" to represent the purest distillation of the essence of Star Trek (at its intellectual and idealistic best) of any episode of any series. Dathon is willing to risk his life for the mere chance to achieve communication and understanding with Picard. There's no other apparent purpose or motive to his actions -- just that earnest and urgent desire to bridge the gap of minds and cultures, to talk and learn.

Furthermore, the episode manages to take this essentially intellectual theme and make it personal and moving by personifying it through Picard and Dathon. As understanding dawns (to Dathon's obvious joy), as comradeship grows, and as Picard ultimately mourns the loss of this noble man, "communication" goes from an abstract concept to an emotional character journey.

It may not be the best episode of Star Trek, but it's up there -- and if someone asked me to pick the one episode that best expresses what Trek is about, it would be this one.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Thanks Guys, I noticed Darmok is on one of the Fan Collections (Captain's Log, I believe?), I'll have to pull this one out and give it a watch. I was considering waiting for the Remastered Sets to come out before watching any TNG, but, my curiosity is piqued now.

12. Josie

Josie Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Season 1 - The Arsenal of Freedom
    Season 2 - Peak Performance
    Season 3 - The Survivors
    Season 4 - The Wounded
    Season 5 - Disaster
    Season 6 - Timescape
    Season 7 - Eye of the Beholder

Runner-ups

Season 1 - Code of Honour
    Season 2 - Unnatural Selection
    Season 3 - N/A - Worst Season
    Season 4 - The Loss
    Season 5 - Power Play
    Season 6 - Face of the Enemy

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a great rundown. On a smaller, much more subtle note, I liked that the violent option failed (hey, I love a good phaser fight as much as the next guy), and that every technobabble solution had failed. So it wasn't just a distillation of the essence of Trek, but in hindsight of all of Trek, to me it's also a neat counter to some of the more mundane traits of Trek.

Additionally, "Darmok" is the only TNG episode I've ever watched in a college-level course, thanks to my poetry professor being a Trekkie. Behold the power of metaphor!

14. VonFrank

VonFrank Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Season 1 - The Neutral Zone
    Season 2 - Q Who
    Season 3 - Yesterday's Enterprise
    Season 4 - Best of Both Worlds
    Season 5 - Unification
    Season 6 - Time's Arrow

15. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally someone who appreciates "The Loss" and doesn't say its one of the worst episodes! Although calling season 3 the worst season is laughable as hell.

Season 1- Arsenal of Freedom
    Season 2 - Measure of a Man
    Season 3 - The High Ground
    Season 4 - Data's Day
    Season 5 - Cause and Effect
    Season 6 - Frame of Mind
    Season 7 - Lower Decks

16. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Nicely said, both of you. I didn't list "Darmok" as my favorite because season five has so many episodes that I love. But I would say that it's the best episode of the season, and one of the best in all TNG.

17. Lt_Rowy

Lt_Rowy Commander Red Shirt

Well I can only really go up to halfway of season six as i havent watched them all yet..but I will give you my memorable faves up to there.

Season 1: Conspiracy
    Season 2: Q Who
    Season 3: Best of Both Worlds
    Season 4: First Contact
    Season 5: Violations
    Season 6: Chain of Command Part 2

I havent seen season 7 yet but when I do I will get back to you all! :)

18. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 1: Conspiracy
    Season 2: Q Who
    Season 3: The Best of Both Worlds Part 1
    Season 4: The Best of Both Worlds Part 2
    Season 5: Disaster
    Season 6: Starship Mine
    Season 7: Lower Decks

19. zephramc

zephramc Commodore Commodore

1 -- The Neutral Zone