Your annual vacation/holidays

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kilana2, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One week to go.

The last holiday was in 2008. Ready for this.

Kilana2 likes this.
  2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know how you feel. My vacation this year was in June. The last vacation before was in 1997.

3. Butters

Twenty years without a holiday. Ouch.

Three more days to go. I’m at that panicking about getting all the work done in time stage.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

We're taking a short trip to New Jersey for the weekend, just Saturday to Monday. I'm taking the boys to MineFare, it's a Minecraft con in New Jersey on Sunday. My wife is taking our daughter to American Girl Doll for her birthday. They are going to get their hair nails done together. She will also be receiving her first American Girl doll, who is Luciana and is an astronaut. We'll be back home for one day, then we're heading to Canada for a few days. Going to see Niagara Falls, so expect a deluge of pictures from there. I have no real desire to see the Falls, but something to do for a short vacation.

5. Butters

Soon, so very soon.

Just need to tidy, pack the car, drink wine, then set the alarm for stoopidoclock. Got a seven hour drive tomorrow, and the weathers looking good.

6. Butters

On it now. Vacation happening, in real life, for real.

A chalet with a sea view. We let the kids stay up and watch the sun go down, they wanted to see the green flash and I said why not, so I took my wine to the veranda and told ghost stories while we waited. Then counted the stars as they came out, one by one.

No green flash though. Maybe tonight. But before that, we need to find some real Cornish Pasties and do some gorging.

Kilana2 and Gryffindorian like this.
  7. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

You know what would go really well with this thread? Pictures! :) Care to share any?

Kilana2 likes this.
  8. Butters

I’m not one for sharing family pics online. I think I’ll need premium account too. I did take a picture though on the first evening I’d like to share if I can figure out how.

Something silhouetted against the haze of the low sun on the first evening. Huge circles that I first assumed were round trees, before I realised we were in Cornwall, not Toy Town. Turned out to be the radio dishes of Bude GCHQ.

9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

If you're not a premium member, you can still post images by using an image hosting service. I'm partial to PostImage, and many others are very happy with Imgur. Both are free. :)

Gryffindorian likes this.
  10. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

Planning a vacation for the end of September. Somewhere warm within a 10hr drive from Philadelphia...Any ideas?

11. Butters

Visited the Eden Project yesterday. Torrential rain happened while we were in the rain forest biome. Fascinating place, but overwhelmingly hot and humid. Mediterranean biome was much more pleasant and full of herbs to sniff. The little one moaned and told everyone it was incredibly boring.

teacake likes this.
  12. Butters

It’s going home day. Nine hour drive if the traffic is favourable. Promised them a KFC at the other end.

The boys just did a name call register of their cuddly toys.

It’s been a blast. Relaxing, and the kids learned more about swimming in one week than in a whole year of swimming lessons, but it’s back to work Monday, and i got the holiday bug.

13. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

We just went to Niagara Falls and had a wonderful time, highly recommend it. It's only 6 1/2 hours away from Philly. We stayed on the Canada side but you can also just stay on US side.

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  14. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

South Carolina.
    Rhode Island

15. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

North Carolina. You can visit the Blackbeard museum and make me extraordinarily jealous. https://www.qaronline.org/visit/museums-and-more

16. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Got married a couple of weeks ago. We're off to Turkey on a 5 star all inclusive holiday in a nice resort on the Turkish riviera. Never been to Turkey before. Be interested to hear if anyone on here has been.

On a side note the Turkish lira has lost over 60 percent of it's value in the last year so should we venture out of the resort everything should be very cheap.

17. Butters

Congratulations on the wedding,

I’ve been to Turkey a few times, being outside the Eurozone made it much cheaper than similar resorts in Greece so it just made sense. We usually stayed in the resorts as they’re all inclusive, but when we did venture in to town, we found the very friendly people very engaging. Food and booze very nice. Leather for sale everywhere. They wouldn’t accept tips, the plumbing won’t take bum paper, and I’ve forgetten the name of the little mini buses that take you everywhere. Oh yeah, they also have flashing red traffic lights that you can treat as a giveaway, with repeater signals so you don’t have to slow down too much. And you pay to enter the country. Used to be a crisp tenner, but Scottish notes maybe rejected.

We’re planning our next trip now. Thinking Whitby, with its jolly gothic horror roots, steam trains, boat trips, dolphins, and sacked abbey. Loads to do, and lots of stone steps and cobbled lanes.

Alejandro, Smellmet and teacake like this.
  18. Kilana2

I was there, in 1997. Got ill there, I felt sick all the time. Had sunburn, herpes and a sick stomach. Lady Di died. So no nice memories remained. Had a great vacation in Austria this year, though.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Smellmet and TribbleFeeder like this.
  19. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for the ideas guys. Niagra Falls sounds amazing. I’m gonna look into that. We were just in the Carolinas last year, sooo beautiful.

20. Kilana2

Everybody with his/her vacation still ahead: enjoy it, have fun and stay in good health!

Gryffindorian likes this.