Your annual vacation/holidays

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kilana2, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I went there in 1999, alongside a road trip to detroit, Chicago and Toronto. It's well worth the visit for the day but I wouldn't want to spend much more time than that there.

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm taking time off during the week of Labor Day, but I haven't decided where to go. It all depends on whether I have any $ left. :lol:

ETA:

I uploaded some pictures of my Oahu vacation.

Link

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Avro Arrow and Pondwater like this.
  3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And rain, don't forgot about the rain. ;)

Butters likes this.
  4. Gryffindorian

I am currently vacationing in Albuquerque, New Mexico this week for four days. It was a last-minute decision, and I made a very good choice to come here. This city is so rich in history and culture, both Latin and Native American. ABQ is pretty big, with plenty of things for tourists to see and do, especially in Old Town and in the mountains.

I've been busy shopping the past couple of days in Old Town, which is filled with quaint shops and restaurants. I visited the NM Museum of Natural History and Science. I couldn't go to the Petroglyph Monument because I ended up at the Visitors Center where there wasn't any hiking trail in sight. Tomorrow I plan on visiting the Pueblo Cultural Center, and if I have time, I want to ride the Tram over Sandia Peak.

teacake and Pondwater like this.
  5. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually stopped by Niagara Falls on my way to Rhode Island a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved it! I didn't go on the Maid of the Mist, but I did take the Cave of the Winds tour. Very informative and the Hurricane Deck was awesome! I definitely want to go back and visit the Canada side after I acquire my passport!

You also can't go wrong with Rhode Island. I visited Myrtle Beach last year and it's gotten a little too loud and touristy for my tastes. I visited some relatives in Rhode Island and there are all kinds of beaches there! While still a little crowded, it's more relaxed (although the water is a little colder). Also, there's lots of points of interest to stop along the way NYC, Mystic Seaport

Kilana2 and TribbleFeeder like this.
  6. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

I didn’t even think of Rhode Island! That would have been a lot of fun! I’ve heard it’s beautiful there, especially this time of year.

We ended up deciding on Richmond VA for a weekend. We went there once before and really enjoyed it, so we figured we’d go back. We didn’t feel like we got everything we wanted out of it last time anyway. It’s such a cool little city. We’ll probably do another weekend somewhere after the holidays, just to get away.

7. Gryffindorian

I got back home last Saturday and had a wonderful time touring Albuquerque. I did visit the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, marveled at the exhibits, and learned a great deal about the Native American history of New Mexico. On the same day, I managed to squeeze in a trip to Sandia Peak, where I took the Tramway all the way to the top at 10,300 feet. The view of the valley was absolutely breathtaking.

Locals I talked to (Uber drivers) recommended Santa Fe for my next visit.

Pondwater and Kilana2 like this.
  8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My vacations have this pattern:
    1. Vacation with family toward end of summer (This year went to Sweden)
    2. Vacation in mid-October to do Obstacle Course Race World Championships
    3. Vacation in mid-winter to somewhere warm (Haven't decided this year yet, have gone to San Diego or New Orleans in past, considering maybe Australia or Hawaii)

Gryffindorian likes this.
  9. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome.

I’ve been wanting to go there for a while to the hot air ballon festival.

Gryffindorian likes this.
  10. Gryffindorian

You should! That's coming up in October. I didn't know they were having the State Fair starting this past weekend when I left. One other place I didn't get to was Nob Hill, and I would've liked to try the restaurants over there.

The downtown area itself was awfully quiet during the week, especially around Central Avenue (old Route 66) and in the vicinity of Hyatt Regency on Tijeras. There was hardly anyone walking in sight for such a big city. Granted, the city streets were very clean and well maintained. And I can safely say ABQ is much more quiet and laid back than the SF Bay Area where I'm from.

Pondwater likes this.
  11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Just booked our flights for a quick trip back to England and see my family around my birthday.

12. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just back from Cyprus. It topped 115f (46c) on the balcony, but didn't drop much below 83f (28c) in the apartment at night

Fun though:)

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

About to head off to the airport for my trip to Germany. I hope the jet lag doesn't kill me. :lol:

teacake, Gary Mitchell and Kilana2 like this.
  14. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Enjoy your trip!

15. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I sure will. I've been looking forward to the Oktoberfest for quite awhile now.

And I've been told that German beer has more alcohol than American beer does, which immediately piqued my interest. :ouch:

16. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Bayern Munich has won a match today. The players surely will enjoy that beer - except Ribery. True, German beer is quite strong. I was too young to drink at all when I visited the US 1995, though.....:beer:

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I hope I can get the chance to visit Allianz Arena - looks like an awesome stadium!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Kilana2 likes this.
  18. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oooooo, Germany during Oktoberfest is one of my dream vacations!

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  19. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Me and my BF went on a 5 day vacation to Yellowstone National Park in 2012.
    That was my last vacation I took. It was really nice.

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It depends on which beers. There is a great variety. Doppelbock commonly has about 8% to 10% ABV; sometimes even higher. On the other hand, there are plenty of American craft beers in that range. Oktoberfest seasonal "Marzen" beer in Germany is typically around 6%. Kolsch, Helles, and Schwarzbier are around 5%.

It's interesting how well-known Oktoberfest is so far away in America. When I was talking to some friends from Switzerland, they were unfamiliar with it.