You know you're a TOS fan if...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by JonnyQuest037, Jan 30, 2019.

1. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Or your throw them at your friend's back.

Phaser Two and IMC Headquarters like this.
  2. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

When you see something that doesn't even look real and you instantly feel sadness because of the death of Sam Kirk.

This was a true story for me, btw, I saw a fruitcake last December and it had a really weird plasticy sheen and I started to say "it doesn't even look real" but I never got it all out.

3. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

I'm glad someone felt sadness for his death, and maybe someone will feel sadness for his poor wife, too. Or the poor orphaned nephew? :whistle:

Delta Vega likes this.
  4. Marsden

My understanding is there is three orphans, but Peter was the youngest, the other two were elsewhere. I don't remember where I heard Sam had three sons, and a strange man named Bub.

5. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Bub was the boy's maternal grandfather from Sam's first wife who also died. Bub got too sick help raise the boys, and was put in a nursing home. It's a good thing his brother, Charles was able to move in and help out. :techman: Then things started to look up when Sam married Aurelan. Sad end to a wonderful family.

I think Kirk's Father and Mother are still alive to raise Peter. Poor Peter. :weep:

Marsden likes this.
  6. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it odd when Kirk (in the movies) mentioned that his brother had died, but that he got him back again! Obviously he was commenting on Spock rather than Sam! :wtf:
    JB

7. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Kirk's deceased brother was airbrushed from his mind in an instant, and that quote from the movie has never sat well with me.
    Did the writers forget he had a real brother who was killed ?
    Did Shatner not think to himself when he saw that line, "Hey that's a bit misleading"

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The movies are kind of their own thing.

Kor

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  9. Marsden

I thought of Sam, too, but you have to let him finish the line before you jump to conclusions.

Yes. ...I lost a brother once. But I was lucky, I got him back.

He was trying to reassure Spock who was just thinking of his brother Sybok who just, presumably, died.

And in Whom Gods Destroy,
    KIRK: They were humanitarians and statesmen, and they had a dream. A dream that became a reality and spread throughout the stars, a dream that made Mister Spock and me brothers.
    GARTH: Mister Spock, do you consider Captain Kirk and yourself brothers?
    SPOCK: Captain Kirk speaks somewhat figuratively and with undue emotion. However, what he says is logical and I do, in fact, agree with it.

So, there's reason for it, just because we jumped to conclusions doesn't mean it's wrong.

Search4 likes this.
  10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt that Shatner thought much about it, if he even remembered that Kirk's brother was killed in a TOS episode. He hasn't been rewatching them for decades the way we have.

And it's understandable that they didn't bother bringing up Kirk's brother in that scene. It's the same reason why Admiral Morrow said that the Enterprise was 20 years old in STIII. Why risk confusing casual fans?

Kor likes this.
  11. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Remember Shatner's skit on SNL? Get a life! We fans remember a lot more about what was said on individual episodes of TOS than Shatner does.

12. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And to answer the OP...

When you make your spouse/kids/family/friends/employees stand and give you the ISS Enterprise salute every time you enter the room.

13. johnnybear

Kras gave a similar salute in Friday's Child! And although Mirror was shown first, Friday was filmed before Mirror!
    JB

14. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mine looks like the interiors from "Miri", only messier.

Phaser Two, Kor and Henoch like this.
  15. uniderth

I'm not going to run my life on the premise of an SNL skit.

I'm going to run it on the premise of a fictional TV show instead. :ouch:

16. johnnybear

I think we learned a lot more from watching Trek than we ever did in High school to be honest! :guffaw:
    JB

uniderth and ZapBrannigan like this.
  17. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

If you ever opened a bag of Bugles, picked one out, and had the Doomsday Machine Planet Killer musical cue run through your brain.

18. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, and it wasn't just the show itself, although Spock alone exploded my childhood vocabulary. It was the things you'd pick up from following the cast. For instance, Leonard Nimoy did a TV movie called Seizure: The Story of Kathy Morris (1980), so naturally I not only had to see it, I had to read the book it was based on. It was a memoir by (or about? I can't remember now) a neurosurgeon, and the things I got out of it added to my schoolboy reputation for knowing so much.

Phaser Two likes this.
  19. uniderth

You know you're a Star Trek fan if people try to tell you that the Doomsday Machine was a windsock dipped in concrete and you tell them that , no, it was a metal frame wrapped in aluminum foil further wrapped in lighting gels. That's what gave it its strange alien-like qualities that the remastered versions failed to capture. Then you take a breath and realize that if you know what lighting gels are your probably a Star Trek fan.

JonnyQuest037 and Henoch like this.
  20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

That reminds me:

"You know you're a TOS fan IF you saw the William Shatner "Get a Life!" SNL sketch and thought: "So...where's the joke? I've been to Conventions and have seen actual fan/guest situations play out exactly like that..." :wtf:;):whistle: