Spoilers X-Men: Apocalypse - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 17, 2016.

?

Grade the movie

1. A+

2.5%
  2. A

13.9%
  3. A-

13.9%
  4. B+

16.5%
  5. B

19.0%
  6. B-

15.2%
  7. C+

3.8%
  8. C

7.6%
  9. C-

5.1%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1.3%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1.3%
  1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My first X-men comic was the first part of the Proteus saga - X-men 124 i think. The x-men were hardly in it, it was pretty much a Jean Grey story, possibly my favourite. I was intrigued by he story (it was very Sapphire & Steel). It was years before I got the others and the finale was nowhere as good as that first part. If they could bring back Jason Stryker and tease her into being evil, I would love it!

But she has to live. Killing her again is just too, 'Been there, done that'. Even if her mind is transferred into Madeline Pryor, she has to live dammit!

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I agree, to have her die again would be a bad move. If they have to go that route, better to say she's ascending to another plane of existence like Kes or Dr. Manhattan or something.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^ Which, IIRC, is a similar plan to what Singer himself had for his version of X3.

4. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't help the "Phoenix/Dark Phoenix is Jean's only good story" when it's the only one anybody seems to want to do (and rehash!) with the character ever since.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Singer, and possibly Kinberg have said they either plan on introducing aliens, or are at least open to it. The Shi'Ar and the Brood are probably the aliens races most closely associated with The X-Men, so if they do introduce aliens, then it's probably going to be one of them.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Agreed. Also, the poster doesn't have anything to do with real-world violence issues because it's an image of 2 super-powered characters fighting. The 2 characters are fighting an apocalyptic battle to save/destroy the world. Gender has nothing to do with it. Also, the image is intended to be intimidating & scary, not titillating.

Furthermore, suggesting that you can't show a bit from a fight scene in an action movie poster because the person losing the fight is a woman is the real sexism here. It suggests that women are always helpless victims, something which certainly doesn't apply to Mystique. Time after time, we've seen her hold her own in fights with men, often taking out multiple men in a matter of seconds. She also fared pretty well against Wolverine in the original X-Men, which is no mean feat.

Ask yourself: If he were strangling Professor Xavier or Nightcrawler or one of the other male X-Men in this poster, would anyone care? (That's always the question I start with in these situations: If you switched the roles, would we still be having the same discussion?)

You may be right. It's hard to gauge because a lot of the movies he's written have also had other writers. But there are at least 3 really shitty movies on his CV-- Fantastic Four (2015), Jumper, and xXx: State of the Union. X-Men: The Last Stand is also a pretty dubious entry. He's written a few decent movies like Mr. & Mrs. Smith, This Means War, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and X-Men: Apocalypse. But the only truly great movie to have his name on it is Sherlock Holmes.

BTW, I'm so happy to hear some other people agreeing with me that X-Men: First Class is the best movie of the series (or at least the best of the current round of prequels). :techman:

Reminds me of the original X-Men, when most of the joints of the suits got torn up really bad just by trying to do something as simple as hop over a 3-foot wall.

IMO, there's pretty much nothing (other than her overall indifference) to rule out the possibility of Mystique being Nightcrawler's mother. Considering we've gone long stretches between movies, there's plenty of time for that to have happened. The more difficult part to reconcile is Azazel's role in the timeline. But then, there's a lot that we don't know about exactly how things happened between First Class in 1962 and Days of Future Past in 1973. We know that Azazel & Angel were both killed & dissected by Trask sometime between those 2 films. Since Magneto seemed to already know about it, it would be logical to assume that it happened before he went to prison after the JFK assassination in November 1963. But I suppose one of his prison interrogators might have mentioned it.

So, I guess my point is: I dunno. :shrug:;)

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Does she even have any other major storylines?

8. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

9. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Did this movie give Angel's personal name at any point? I'm wondering if it's possible to reconcile Angel's The Last Stand age by considering Apocalypse Angel to be Warren Worthington III's uncle/some other relative.

10. Turtletrekker

Nope. He was only called Angel in both the dialogue and in the end credits.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe that's why X3 Angel was so freaking out about growing wings.
    He didn't want to become or be seen like that guy!

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Why didn't they bother giving any of the actors aging make-up to make them look like they had aged AT ALL since First Class?

13. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

It's cheaper.
    And aging make-up sucks.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

MCU did fine with Peggy Carter's aging.

Hell, they've done spectacular work with the DE-aging too.

15. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Ha. Apocalypse is the only movie in my recent memory wherein multiple characters are played by actors technically too young for the story. But I suppose it balances out how, in my opinion, the actors were slightly too old in First Class.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

What? Just have her film death involve a Space Shuttle at the bottom of a river or lake - and they can bring her back at their leisure.:shrug:;)

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Moira had a little bit, but I would say not twenty years' worth.

I think there was a bit of self-awareness of this whole issue in Charles' line that she hadn't aged a day. :techman:

Kor

18. Turtletrekker

That wasn't makeup. That was CGI.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would it still be OK if we took it completely out of the context of the movie? Would you be OK with it if it was something like a beer add where the only context for it was a fully clothed much bigger guy choking a naked woman?
    That's my thing with this. It's not bad if we look at it with the added context of who the characters are, and what is going on in the movie, but not everybody who sees the billboard on the side of the street is going to know all of that, to many people all they are going to see is just this one image, with no prior knowledge of the characters, or that it is from a fight scene in the movie.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That can be inferred.