Spoilers X-Men: Apocalypse - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 17, 2016.

?

Grade the movie

1. A+

2.5%
  2. A

13.9%
  3. A-

13.9%
  4. B+

16.5%
  5. B

19.0%
  6. B-

15.2%
  7. C+

3.8%
  8. C

7.6%
  9. C-

5.1%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1.3%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1.3%
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Sybok is the comparison I was thinking of.
    Strong empath powers, reading and enhancing mutan's feelings and desires.
    But they retain the ability to reason and can snap out of it or resist it completely like Charles did, if the become aware that they are being manipulated.
    The tricky part is that both Sybok and Apocalypse can make themselves appear entirely reasonable with their empathic projections. I think, that's because they both are convinced that they are right and the actual good guys.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

For like 5 minutes then he plans to kill him the moment he gets the power stone.

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, when you're an evil guy and you get a power-up, that's what y'do.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Loki feared him. "You think you know pain? He will make you long for something as sweet as pain."

5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I was surprised how they glossed over Magneto going end of days on the humans and mutants (because let's be honest, you know some innocents mutants had to die too), and there being no consequences for Magneto in movie or outcry from the audiences like there was for MOS. You have Age of Ultron being crafted as an alternative response to things like MOS and TF3, but you also have the general public's indifference about Khan's 9-11 style attack at the end of STID, and the Neo Empire fragging 5 planets with their Uber Death Star. X-Men A seems to have fallen into the latter category. Probably the "meh" attitude from the collective audiences. Or maybe people just don't care about mass destruction as they claim to.

6. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People pretty much don't care about mass destruction in films. Except when they're bored, and then it's usually considered a good thing.

The man of steel 'controversy' had almost nothing to do with the general audience - it was a specific subset of fans of the character - and it had almost nothing to do with the concept of destruction, it was all about the tone and portrayal of a character that many people expected to be good and righteous and wholesome.

7. M.A.C.O.

8. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Poor Boromir. :rommie:

9. M.A.C.O.

X-Men Apocalypse is now available for Digital Download on VUDU, Amazon, and iTunes. I finished watching it and in the comfort of my own home, away from the hype of the audience, I can see so much wrong with the film.

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sophie Turner is a good sport for going along with the Boy George bit. I think that's why Suicide Squad has done well despite the plot being weak because people want to enjoy the characters not just see ABC fight DEF.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was great, they really should have left it in. I was surprised that didn't have the bit with the Dazzler album that was released online as a picture.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Saw it for the for the first time last night and I really enjoyed it. I like the new additions to the first class franchise and found the pace of the movie to be pretty good. Issac did a good job of Apocalypse and once again Mcavoy & Fassbender knocked it out of the park. I loved the final act especially seeing the blazing fore of Phoenix and Apocalypse's reaction to seeing it as well. Night crawler from X2 was a hard act to top but the kid playing him might of well topped that performance. Also the cameo of Wolverine was handled very well.

I had heard such mixed things about the movie over the summer but I was really surprised how good it was though Days of Future Past is still the bench mark for the franchise. However its worthy of being along side X-Men and First Class.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That was a great sequence and it's a pity Singer decided to cut it out. I especially liked how all the kids and teenagers had no problem with Nightcrawler's appearance. Goes to show, hate is taught.

15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a little long, I think. Especially the never ending slow motion at the start. But seeing people react positively to mutants in public was a very neat idea which could've dove-tailed perfectly into the conflict they tried to set-up for Xavier (about whether peace needed to be fought for or not), as well as been a perfect setup for real world reactions to Apocalypse (which also really should've been in the movie). Sad to think that if they had dug a little deeper on stuff llike this, there could've been a much better movie to be had.

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Pretty sure I said it earlier, but the primary problem is that Simon Kinberg is an extraordinarily terrible writer.

M.A.C.O. likes this.
  17. M.A.C.O.

Apocalypse, X3 and Fan4stick were all him. SMH

It looks like DOFP was really a fluke for both him and Singer. Singer who has long admitted he's not very good at imagining or shooting action scenes.