WoW - Musings & Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rii, Jun 7, 2009.

1. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Now you can throw rotten bananas at all the DKs that ride in to see the king. :)

2. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

It's all speculation but I believe Saurfang did get turned into a DK.

Icecrown Citadel has to becoming soon. I mean if we follow the pattern of WoW, next year should see another expansion into...*gulp* the unknown.

Personally I can't wait for the Emerald Dream but that's just me.

3. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like 3.2 will probably hit next week.

4. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably but not definitely. I'm hoping and dreading it though. So many good and bad things in this patch depending on which class you play.

5. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, I play a DK and I am still looking forward to it.

6. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

For me personally, 3.2 is going to be almost irrelevent. Only minor changes to Rogues (I think) and I don't do that jousting stuff, so that's that. Maybe they'll add some more non-jousting dailies. If so I'll do those so I can get more than 3 Champions Marks per day. It takes forever to get the new pets at that rate. :)

7. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I'm considering getting into this game. What do you guys have to say about the different choices of race and character class? Are there any that obviously excel over others? I'm sure they strive for ultimate balance but there's always some difference. What about in choosing a starting server? Is there any ability to switch between them?

8. Elemental

Oh ya, and is it possible to save a character account if I decide to stop paying my monthly subscription fee in case I later want to rejoin?

And what's the deal with pets in the game?

9. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

Male Night Elves are dorky. :p All races have a special talent unique to them. Night Elves can "shadowmeld" and run 50% faster back to their bodies when they die. Humans gain reputation 10% faster. Dwarves have "stoneskin", etc.

Racial abilities are all quite limited, so race isn't a huge factor in deciding what to play for most people.

There are 3 basic types of server. PvP (you are always flagged for player vs. player combat except in starting areas and special sactuary zones), PvE (you are not flagged for player vs. player unless you choose to be), RP (Role Playing). For $15 you can transfer your character to a different server.

Yes, you can stop playing and come back later and reactivate your account exactly where yo left off. It's even possible to restore your character if you go so far as deleting it completely.

There are 2 kinds of pets: combat and non-combat. Several classes use combat pets. Hunters can tame wild beasts to be their companions, warlocks can summon demons, and death knights can raise ghouls. Combat pets help you fight your enemies using normal attacks and sometimes special abilities. Non-combat pets serve no useful function other than looking cool while they follow you around. Some people like to collect them just for fun.

10. Elemental

Thanks for answering my questions! Do you know how long characters can stay idle in an account before they are deleted? I'm sure at some point they must be deleted if a person isn't paying for their account... Is there any reactivation fee?

11. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

No limit as far as I know. Until they stop supporting the game several decades from now.

There is no "activation fee", so there is no "reactivation fee". Just pay your monthly charge and you're back in business.

12. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

How the heck do people level so fast?! Granted, I only play for a few hours a week, at the most, but I don't want to play 20 hours a week, yet I want to feel as though I am getting somewhere.

18, maybe 24 months of playing, and I only just hit level 60. It seems as though Ive been in the 50's since Christmas time. It use to be fun reaching a new zone, but now I see all the yellow exclamation marks above people's heads and I'm like, "oh for fuck's sake," in an overwhelming sort of way, and I take a hiatus for a few weeks or months. I am on a hiatus right now; just made my way to Shattrath a few weeks ago.

Here's me.

13. Crash

Crash Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ The late 40s to late 50s is a death crawl of questing that takes you all over the damned world. It is, without a doubt, the slowest part of the game and the place where many, many good alts go to die. Point in fact, my shadow priest (my current main) is a character I had restored who had died at lvl 52.

As for leveling fast, it's a mix of knowing how to spec, gear, and knowing the content. Throwing in some addons like a coordinates tracker, Lightheaded, or Questhelper also helps big time.

14. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

it took me a really long time to level my main to 60. i am super casual about playing. i dont think there is anything wrong with taking a while to level. i dont get the rush to hit max level as fast as possible.

and though i am certainly not an expert on builds for characters i do spot one certain problem with the hunter posted, and some other red flags... you haven't spent any talent points for your pet (pets gained talent points just before Lich King shipped). my other thought, i think you generally want to fill out one talent tree first before branching into others... but i am no expert on building characters, in fact i am a mess and have to rely on builds online because i have no idea what is going on.

15. darthraidr

i'd say don't worry about making mistakes or picking wrong for the first couple characters... play a couple different races and classes to get a feel for what kind of play style you like.

although i would reccomend playing either a blood elf or draenei. i think their starting experiences are much better paced than everyone else.

16. Elemental

What does "world events" refer to? Are these limited time things?

17. Elemental

See, that's the thing. I likely wouldn't have more than one character as I'm not even sure I have time for that right now. Between work, social life, reading, and playing other games, I'm not sure I should even try to fit this game in. I also have a Final Fantasy XI account I would like to play more.

18. darthraidr

"world events" are basically ingame holidays. for example, around haloween, for two weeks in game you can do events that are haloween themed... towns are decorated for haloween, special bosses show up, new items show up during that time only...

as for play multiple characters, i didnt mean to play multiples at the same time or to completion... i meant play a class for a few levels to get a very basic feel of the class. a couple of levels should take a few hours... or just try it out for a single level and see what you think of the class (gaining a single level doesnt take long at all)...

i played my shaman way too long before finaly switching to another class, one that i actually kind of enjoyed playing...

think of it like a fighting game, it's a good idea to try all the characters to see what fits you best...

19. Crash

Crash Vice Admiral Admiral

The only problem there is some classes don't really shine until they're a bit higher in level. Playing a druid, for example, is a tedious process for those first twenty to twenty-five levels if you intend to spec feral. Likewise, a priest dies when a mob halfway across the zone farts given how squishy they are. But both become monsters of solo content when they get higher. By the time I hit 50 or 60 on my shadow priest I was taking down four and five mobs at a time, and in the God gap of 70 to 73 I could handle eight or nine.

20. darthraidr

i totally understand that at later levels some classes get way more powerful or change drastically... as a hunter you dont get a pet until 10, so playing for a level isnt the best introduction... however, you can still get a rough idea of ranged vs. melee with one level, and even then melee differs between rogue/warrior...

my main point, is what if you are just "meh" with the character early on, but since everyone says they get better by 50 or 60 you keep pushing on, only to realize, "hey, i'm still not enjoying this class." at that point, you've really wasted a lot of time...

better to burn a couple hours figuring out at the early levels what feels fun or interesting for you, than worry about the end game that you may never reach...