Spoilers Would you consider the things that Matalas wanted to happen as canon?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by TheMadCloner, Apr 23, 2023.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Choice. Consequences.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So the Dominion is entitled to torture Federation POWs as it sees fit? And those POWs don’t deserve a fair trial? Gotcha.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  3. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though an eye for an eye was meant as a limitation to punishment. An eye, not a life.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not to the people loosing an eye.
    But it's not limited to eyes. They kill someone. You get to kill someone on their side.

5. fireproof78

They already do. The better question is how do you punish the Federation for it's complicity?

6. diankra

Yeah, but the point is that the penalty is in proportion to the crime. No worse.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
    Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  7. diankra

There are too many places in the world where blasphemy is punished by execution or lynching, rather than the proportionate response of having their beliefs ridiculed.

8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course, another possibility would be that the Federation hand over its accused war criminals to some sort of third party who is trusted by both the Federation Alliance and the Dominion, Cardassians, and Breen to act as an honest broker in both the conduct of a fair trial and in the administration of a humane penal sentence. The Ferengi Alliance, the Talarian Republic, the First Federation, Luria, Freecloud, Orion, Tandar, or the Nyberrite Alliance all come to mind.

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

They kill Tasha twice, kill Sito just as she was about to prove herself, kill Shelby by throwing her an idiot ball and now they kill Ro because we haven't had enough heavy drama already. Season 3 of Picard was great, but it continued that ugly trend where the women just weren't living material. I'll be happy to accept Ro surviving that ordeal.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure about Orion :lol: ;) but most of the others would work.

I’m intrigued by the Nyberrite Alliance, actually. We know very little about them but they do seem like a genuinely neutral third party (they accept recruits from almost anywhere). If anyone can be trusted to be truly objective, they’d be right up there.

That said, I’m not holding out hope that anyone could be prosecuted for this. Vadic’s captor is dead, and I’m sure Section 31 managed to cover its tracks so that no one could trace it back to them.

But it still can’t hurt to try. :shrug:

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  11. Sci

I mean, we know that an organized crime family called the Orion Syndicate operates, but we don't have reason to think it's condoned or controlled by the Orion government, any more than we have reason to imagine the Yakuza are condoned or controlled by the government of Japan.

Agreed.

12. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

I think its safe to say that Section 31 was able to pin the dirt on Sloane and walk away from the Dominion War in fine shape. Worf and Riker both talk about Section 31 in the present tense, not past tense, meaning they're still around, being secretive and stuff.

Thats how these things work, plausible deniablity.

fireproof78 likes this.
  13. fireproof78

Indeed and that is Section 31's great power. People go "Oh, they exist only in secret," which is fine until you realize that it makes them like the Illuminati in conspiracy theory circles. Section 31 exists by creating false fronts and the verisimilitude of proper authority. If they overreach, then it gets pinned on whomever made that decision and they withdraw and reform behind a new front.

Shoot...it is the Illuminati!

14. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

It's not Terry Matalas. It's not even really "Picard" related. But here is a possible example of the question at hand; are behind the scene statements from those who worked on the show considered canon?

Doug Drexler made a Facebook post about the upcoming SOTL calendar and cutaway of his NX Refit and someone asked him about the NX designation.

Here was his response....
    [​IMG]

Now we've been calling in an NX Class for over 20 years. It was outright called an NX Class multiple times on the show.

So, who is in the wrong?

I do very much like Doug Drexler, and I absolutely love the NX-01. The refit, somewhat less....

But, in my humble opinion, he's wrong. Or atleast as wrong as you can be with an opinion. On screen is king, and on screen it was an NX Class Starship.

Reanok and The Wormhole like this.
  15. Sci

Doug Drexler is just giving his headcanon here. Canonically, Enterprise NX-01 is an NX-class United Earth starship and that's all there is to it. We never saw it given an "S.S." onscreen.

16. HotRod

Absolutely agree. It's just his statement that if the writers said something, it's their mistake. That rubs me somewhat the wrong way.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  17. Sci

Drexler is a good guy, but he gets very particular about how he thinks things ought to be done sometimes and tends to speak as though he has an authority over canon that he does not have. (He also tends to badmouth decisions he doesn't like if he wasn't involved in the production.)

jos3s, Turtletrekker, Campe and 4 others like this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. Indeed, what Drexler is now saying contradicts something I think behind the scenes people were saying at the time Enterprise aired that the United Earth Starfleet did their classes and registries different. NX class is NX-01, NX-02 and so on in that order, while a hypothetical NY class would do their registries NY-01, NY-02 and so on in that order. Granted, this was never reflected on screen, and indeed I believe there were references to other ship classes with more "traditional" names throughout Enterprise.

Also, I have to call out Drexler's error that only the first five ships would be NX, as there was an NX-09, the ISS Avenger in the Mirror Universe.

HotRod likes this.
  19. HotRod

Can't help but also notice a suspicious absence of the "Discoprise" in the SOTL calendars. With the exception of this painting from 2018, she hasn't been seen since.[​IMG]
    I've made no secret that I'm a huge fan of this ship, so perhaps I'm more then a little biased, but to seemingly exclude her, rather purposefully, seems somewhat petty on the part of Drexler.

Or I'm looking to deeply at things and it's entirely in my head.

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    Kzinti and Sci like this.
  20. Lordcommanderdarkwolf

Lordcommanderdarkwolf Commander Red Shirt

wouldn't the prefix be UES (United Earth ship) or just UE?