Would Kes and Neelix's relationship lasted if she stayed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by SailorLadyGaga, May 5, 2017.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I know that, because I am sane.

I was trying to wear Neelix's face, and see the world through his eyes where there's this great girl who says that she loves him, but won't put out.

Think back to the beginning of your dating experiences when there was that virgin who would go to the movies with you on a Friday night, but wouldn't let you plant a flag on them.

Neelix is raw.

2. The Original Series

The Original Series Lieutenant Red Shirt

Typical mainstream analysis. As if everyone is from a culture where dating and movies on a Friday night are normal activities. You assume that everyone shares your lame, suburban, milquetoast life.

I say thee Nay!

3. Guy Gardener

The original Series.

You can't hide who you really are.

So comb your hair and let the mortals mort.

They are on top of each other, watching bad TV in Future's End, and she killed Tuvix to get Neelix back.

How Kes perceives time is different, since she remembers so much more of it than we do, so while we saw 5 really bad displays of pointless jealously in 2 years, she had three human lifetimes of accumulated memory between each of those watermarks.

4. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Warning for Flaming. Calling everyone twerps and morons doesn't fly here. Peace be unto you.

5. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Would the Kes character have been more popular if she hadn't had the millstone of Neelix around her neck? She's the cool person with the annoying friend who always follows them around - you can't invite one to the party without the other showing up.

borgboy likes this.
  6. The Original Series

You people are the Phloxes and Neelixes of the Internet Gossip Universe. Bwahaha!

7. The Original Series

Romulan Scum! Shut Up!

8. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Neelix was all right.. she could have done worse.

9. Guy Gardener

This is not a Tuvix thread.

10. Refuge

Exactly, a little taste of Tuvix made Neelix look pretty normal in comparison.

borgboy and Guy Gardener like this.
  11. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Neelix, repeatedly, made her a scene of jealousy in Twisted, while they walked side by side in the corridor, after the birthday party was interrupted...

[scene 1]
    NEELIX: Did you enjoy your first surprise party, sweeting?
    KES: It was wonderful. Thank you.
    NEELIX: I thought you'd like it. The cake, the presents. What was your favourite part?
    KES: I suppose what I liked best was that all my friends were there.
    NEELIX: Ah, that was nice, wasn't it? And don't forget that beautiful necklace Tom Paris gave you.
    KES: Do you really like it?
    NEELIX: Oh, why wouldn't I like it? Paris obviously has excellent taste.
    KES: I was afraid you might be a little jealous.
    NEELIX: Who, me? Don't be silly.
    KES: Are you sure?
    NEELIX: You, my dearest, have seen the last of that green-eyed pus hog called jealousy.
    KES: I'm glad.
    NEELIX: Of course, Paris did replicate that locket, whereas I baked the Jibelian fudge cake from scratch.
    KES: These aren't my quarters. Did we take a wrong turn somewhere?
    NEELIX: I was just following you.

[scene 2]
    (Neelix reads the signs by the doors.)
    NEELIX: Kyoto's quarters. Nicoletti. Hargrove. Ayala.
    KES: None of those are anywhere near my quarters.
    NEELIX: This is deck eight. That's where your quarters are.
    KES: But Hargrove and Ayala are on deck seven. Nicoletti is on four and I think Kyoto is on six.
    NEELIX: How do you know where everyone's quarters are?
    KES: I just remember.
    NEELIX: Remember from what? Have you been in all their quarters?
    KES: Of course not. The point is, those quarters can't all be on the same deck.
    NEELIX: Well, see for yourself.
    KES: This can't be.
    NEELIX: Perhaps, sweeting, your memory isn't as reliable as you think.
    KES: This is impossible. I know Hargrove is on seven.
    NEELIX: Why Hargrove?
    KES: What?
    NEELIX: Why are you so sure about Hargrove's quarters? What makes him so special?
    KES: He's not special. I just remember where his quarters are. This way. It has to be this way.

12. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Perhaps as a medical assistant it would make sense that she knew where everyone's quarters were if a house call had to be made if someone got very sick or injured in their quarters. The Dr. couldn't leave sickbay at this point except for the holodeck. What if they got in a situation where the transporters and computers were down and someone was needed quickly to help.

13. SaturnVuk

SaturnVuk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yes without doubt ! ! ! I wish they would have stayed together, that always seemed more believable to me....hay ho ! ! !

14. Guy Gardener

Neelix committed half of "her" life to Kes.

He was getting weary.

(Have you been with your spouse for more than half their life?)

15. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think so.
    Their relationship started to crack already in season 2 so it was just a matter of time when it would bereak up.

16. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

As I've written before, Tieran did immediately take control over Ameron when he moved from Kes to Ameron.
    I'm sure that he did take control over Kes the same way, an immediate control.

17. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I was almost at that point before the divorce

Guy Gardener likes this.
  18. Guy Gardener

Neelix is obviously in the wrong for most of this, which is why I have to bend reality to make him seem like less of an asshole.

We keep saying that Kes grew up, because she was maturing faster than everyone else by factors. Season two Kes is not the seem "girl" that Neelix fell for over a year ago, because she's a woman now, and maturing further than she's almost middle aged and then not too soon after that elderly.

Mentally not physically.

Kes went from his child bride, to his equal, and then started to surpass him. Oh, I'm not saying that Neelix is not interested in a challenging superior woman if one came calling for him, but in this particular case, that is not what he signed up for.

After they "pretend" broke up in Warlord, maybe it was his idea to stay broken up, because she is not the person he fell in love with? Which might mean that she is becoming middle aged like he is and Neelix used to like how young she made him feel vicariously... Which still makes him sound like a kiddy fiddler, never mind.

19. Refuge

I'm re-watching at the moment and getting close to these episodes.. going to look for the signs. Try and see who lost interest first.

20. Guy Gardener

There is very little continuity between episodes.

Almost every story is written by different little people who have no idea what's happening anywhere else in the season. Later in the writers room, and the producers rewrite the episodes they farmed out so that they make sense being one after another, almost.