Work frustration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sophie74656, May 4, 2018.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Some don't pay attention if the order is printed in front of them.

I use an online ordering service called Skip the Dishes when I want something from particular restaurants.

One place, Humpty's, specializes in egg dishes. So I decided to order some omelettes, and each order comes with toast, jam, and a choice of one other item (I get the perogies and sour cream).

I was flabbergasted to see that I got everything but the toast. I'd asked for extra jam, which was apparently no problem. But nobody twigged that there was nothing to put the jam on.

Dealing with online customer service... sheesh. The first agent got as far as identifying herself, and asked what the problem was (I'd already sent a summary of what the problem was, since I'd been prompted to do so, but I guess the agents don't bother reading those). Then she disconnected. I activated the chat line again and someone else came on. I mentioned I'd been disconnected from the first person, so the second person got the first one back. She took her sweet time understanding that I hadn't received any toast with my omelettes, but finally did.

The result: A half hour of my time used up with this, and a $9.77 credit to use on my next order. In the evaluation survey that's sent to the restaurant, I mentioned the missing toast. I wasn't too pleased with the service from the agents, either.

Hopefully this was just a one-time thing and the next time whoever makes up the order will have common sense enough to realize that people don't order jam if they're not also ordering toast (jam isn't something people can order by itself).

2. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yup.

I was with a company for 17 years and my rates went up. No "good job" pat on the back rates for me. Guessing the uninsured went up. Then I went shopping around and it was worse if I left. So I guess it's a win in disguise? :/

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I sometimes get a hot dog with no bun from local hot dog stands, and it's no problem at all. I don't mind paying full price... starchy stuff is cheap.

Other times, you ask them to leave off a standard item from the order, and they have absolutely no clue what to do. It can be rather amusing.

At a Thai restaurant, the server was kind of dumbstruck when I asked her if they could simply leave the rice off of my order. It's not like I was asking for a discount for that. I just didn't want to waste food that I wasn't going to eat. But I just went with the flow, said "nevermind," and ended up leaving a big scoop of rice on my plate because I ate everything else but that. :lol:

And then there's a local burger place in my town that puts all the fixin's on every burger as standard procedure, including grilled onions and mushrooms (which some people might be allergic to, or might just not like, which is their prerogative). Somebody at the counter was asking if they could leave it off, and the cashier was getting all bent out of shape about how it's included on the burger. :rolleyes:

Kor

Pondwater likes this.
  4. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very typical. But what shocked me was one place the manager lost her shit at her crew for forgetting to avoid an allergen on my burger. I assume she could relate or it was a frequent issue. I got to watch discipline in action plus get fresh food and free. Not necessary but I told her I appreciated how serious she took it.

UncleRogi, Pondwater and Kor like this.
  5. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

When I went through one of my vegetarian phases I would order (at the counter not the drive-through) a sausage McMuffin meal without the sausage :sigh: I'd get this cheesy muffin with an egg and put the hash brown in there. It was cheaper than actually ordering the same 'creation'.

6. Timewalker

When I order fish & chip meals, it comes with coleslaw. I hate coleslaw, and usually tell them to leave it off the order.

I forgot last time, so now there's a bowl of coleslaw in my fridge that's not going to be eaten and will just have to go in the garbage. :(

7. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

If you are anything like me it will bug you that you will have to toss something, I hate waste but if it's something I can't eat... I cannot think of anything you could do to coleslaw to recycle it :crazy: Other than wash it and fry it with some cold potatoes.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't that be just a plain burger then? Likely listed directly above a cheese burger on the menu. Of course if they wanted to a order a cheese burger without cheese should they still be charged the price of a cheese burger?

9. Timewalker

That would be impossible, since I don't own either a frying pan or any potatoes other than the prepackaged mashed ones in the fridge.

No, unfortunately this coleslaw will end up in the dumpster. I'll just have to be more careful next time I order, to specify that it be left off my order.

And yeah, I do hate waste. I periodically go through my pantry and if there's anything that hasn't hit its best before date yet that I've decided I don't want after all, it gets donated to the food bank.

Last time it was a case of Pepsi. I don't particularly like it, but I bought it for company to have when she visited... who announced one day that she'd gone off pop and intended to become a vegan. So I asked her if she was passing anywhere near the food bank and if so, would she please drop off the Pepsi since I wouldn't be drinking it (I'm a Dr Pepper/root beer person).

She did, and 24 food bank users received a can of pop with their hampers (no reason for people not to get a treat with their canned stuff and veggies; sometimes people donate packages of cookies and other treats, too).

Refuge likes this.
  10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

My Frustration
    Top Tier Managers are fucking idiots...

They overspend when times are good, make projections that are impossible to achieve and then when they screw it up, keep their jobs and make other people redundant.

Oh and then after they cut staff, they wonder why productivity suffers :shrug:

Catarina, Butters and Nakita Akita like this.
  11. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Here if it's a hamburger without cheese it's called "a hamburger"
    If it is a hamburger with cheese it's called "a cheese burger"
    Here, ordering a cheese burger, hold the cheese doesn't make sense because they are two different things.
    I just figured they were stupid.

12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Thank you, I appreciate that! :) The thing that bothered me the most wasn't even the consultant, it was the fact that apparently neither of my colleagues bothered to say "shouldn't she be here?" That stung a bit.

Sadly, this wasn't the first time something like this has happened, and I'm sure it won't be the last, either.

That's just soooo messed up, isn't it?? Sometimes you really have to wonder about people.

I do, and I am really sorry to hear that! :( It sounds like you do so much for them, and are such an important part of the organization. I'm sorry they treat you like that; you really deserve better.

No worries at all, that's kinda what the thread's for! :)

Marynator and UncleRogi like this.
  13. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw this quite a bit at the foodcourts at Disneyword. Mind you, they give you 3 pounds of
    Fries with every order. Ask them for just a few, and you can hold up the line for 30 minutes!
    I don't like getting food I'm going to throw away either.

:lol:

Kor likes this.
  14. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

Why I rarely eat at restaurants, lol.

15. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

Thank you @Avro Arrow for your kind words and support. I'm so terribly sorry about your colleagues not standing up for you, I can imagine how hurt you felt. :(

I just learned my boss' boss is leaving our company, which makes me sad because he's someone who treated me well and he got me my new title and everything. I know who's favored to replace him and he's a total "boy's club" guy, like he doesn't even have a single woman on his team, and he's one of those who never really approaches me directly but always sort of goes around. I hope he doesn't get it but instead another old boss of mine who is much better.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  16. Nakita Akita

I worked fast food for a few years and my family owned a restaurant also.
    In fast food, it's called fast food for a reason.
    It's an assembly line.
    If someone orders s Cheese burger with everything on it.
    We are back there in the kitchen hearing the order over a speaker.
    The grill person lifts a hamburger with cheese already melted onto it puts on the bun at the condiment stand where the condiment person has the top of the bun in their hand and at the 'word' "everything" has
    Already applied mayo, catsup, lettuce pickles, -yes, THAT fast.
    Now the guy says ----"except cheese" ( this is now what we call a hamburger which is a different sandwich and a different price)
    ...... And no catsup and no onions."
    So the grill person takes the cheeseburger off of the bun, puts it back on the grill and puts a Hamburger onto a new bun. Then the condiment person has to set aside the other bun and start again.
    " oh and can I get my fries a little on the crispy side?" The guy asks.

Okay the fry person (French fries) makes bags of fries pre-cut from frozen bags,
    About say at least a pound(American weight unit) at a time.
    Now this guy using the drive through or the counter it's still called "fast food."
    Wants a special job to cook his frys?
    So to do THAT the fryer person would have to use the size scoop, scoop up a serving of frys wait or waste time waiting for an empty fryer basket to cook his frys to a "LITTLE" crispy.
    He needed to go to a full service sit down restaurant, not fast food.

17. Nakita Akita

As below and above.
    Fast food is an assembly
    Line.
    The burgers are made and most likely placed in a warmer or under lights to make a special order means that they have to stop the line, keep track of one bun with the specified items, track it, make sure it doesn't move down to the next person without that person tracking it, once it's wrapped or has the top on it, or not, because you can't always tell what a sandwich has on it or not, the item can become lost in the process.

18. Nakita Akita

See above
    Special orders slow down or can stop the line for various reasons.

19. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

This particular place is more of a 'boutique' burger shop, not a mass-produced fast food chain. They even cut their own potatoes and grind their own beef fresh each morning.

Kor

Pondwater likes this.
  20. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is why I just order the burger and adulterate myself...

:cool:

Nakita Akita likes this.