Work frustration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sophie74656, May 4, 2018.

1. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

We all have the little things that frustrate us ar work. I work as a customer service rep so i get a lot of frustration.

Some of the most frustrating things are when i take time to respond to an email and then the customer replies back but clearly hasn't read my answer. And asks the same question again.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  2. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

Oh dear, I totally understand what you're saying and I feel for you. Every morning I send out reports for fraud status updates, and I include like a detailed description whenever I notice something really out of the ordinary, but it never fails that so many people will all contact me asking the same questions as if not a single person actually read what I wrote. I just want to scream "IF YOU READ MY EMAIL YOU'D KNOW THIS ALREADY!" lol.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard an anecdote wherein an executive included a string of profanity in the middle of a thick written report just to see if anybody would notice, since nobody actually read the thing even though he had to provide it all the time. As expected, nobody noticed.

Kor

DonIago and Marynator like this.
  4. Sophie74656

Yep that's usually how it goes. We put together weekly report of item trends and clearly nobody ever looks at it

Marynator likes this.
  5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is the exact same reason why Van Halen had the thing about brown M&Ms. Linky

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  6. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    I know what you mean. What can be even more frustrating is when I respond to a customer's email and they reply back with the same question because they don't realize that I've just answered their question. Why don't the read and try to understand what I wrote?

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Avro Arrow and Sophie74656 like this.
  7. Sophie74656

Do we have the same job? Lol

Catarina likes this.
  8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Ah I see where you've been going, you're expecting customers to read.

After over 20 years in retail it is my experience that they rarely do. And one must remember the real rules of customer service.

1.>The customer is rarely right
    2.>If the customer is ever right re-read rule 1.

Brefugee and Pondwater like this.
  9. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

A small part of my job is responding to tickets for a technology help desk, and it's definitely frustrating when people don't read the reply. Or, they submit a ticket that says something like "I tried to put in the info but it's not working. Please advise." What info? Where? What steps did you take to get there? Did you try again? etc.

Thankfully, as I mentioned, this is a small portion of my job. The rest of my job isn't customer focused, but of course there are plenty of frustrations to be had with coworkers as well. The biggest issues I have revolve around bureaucracy and there being so many different departments who work in silos and rarely communicate. I work on technology projects that affect every department, so this can be especially frustrating when I feel like I am the only one seeing the big picture sometimes.

Avro Arrow likes this.
  10. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand glazing over legal jargon. It's not smart but most of us do it, but you can't read 1-5 bullet points of brief info so you don't need to ask questions? (C.S.R)

Don't belittle me to con my store into a purchase you don't qualify for. If you know it works, skip me and go to the person with the authority to play your little game because I'm not it and it's stressful and wastes people's time.

11. Catarina

I had a person who bought clearance x-mas tags. Two sets. She goes through her receipt huffing, "Are you ****** stupid? Do I need to watch you scan my stuff? I didn't have two in my basket!"
    Without a word, I go through her bag, pull out TWO items. Said nothing. my line of customers smirk "Dumbass" on her. And she was flustered and obviously embarrassed but decided to abuse me further. " Get your manager. I'm done with you."

12. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

My favorite is that they don’t seem to understand “limited quantities/while supplies last”. To them it means wait until the very last minute and throw a tantrum because the item completely sold out.

13. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

So not just my office, good to know! :D This happens so often... you write a detailed problem analysis for someone, then they reply back asking about something that you already gave them an answer for. :sigh: Sometimes I just copy the relevant portion out of the original note and mail it back to them! ;)

I think I've mentioned this before in another thread... but this is the worst. They'll send in a one-sentence note like: "I am trying to use System X but I keep getting an error." Not what the error message is, what they were doing when they got the error, nothing! Please, give me something to go on! And then when you follow up and ask them to provide more details, they act like you're imposing some kind of burden on them...

14. Sophie74656

So many time when i email people the instructions for a warranty claim they email me back mad that we're demanding so much of them. If they read or even skimmed the instructions they would see is that all we ask for is two simple things.

15. Catarina

Maybe this is why they are working hard core at critical thinking and reading comprehension starting in grade
    K these days.
    We finally had enough and we want to train young to stop the madness.

16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    May I say something from the other side?

It's really damned frustrating when I email customer service about a problem, and it takes a week and three different agents to get anywhere because none of them actually bother to read the specifics of what I write and just keep regurgitating a canned response that adds up to "please explain your issue"... well, IF YOU'D READ THE FUCKING EMAIL I SENT TWO DAYS AGO THAT YOU JUST QUOTED, IT DOES EXPLAIN THE ISSUE. (No, I don't swear at them; I'm firm but polite when dealing with customer service agents)

In all too many cases it adds up to "annoy/ignore the customer long enough and they'll go away."

Nope. I don't go away, whether it's a book from the Amazon site that arrives in shoddy condition, or a game that doesn't work (ie. Big Fish Games - send an email, get a canned reply, think "if all those links worked, I wouldn't have had to email you, so reply, restating the problem - and finally get an email from an agent who mumbles an apology and sends a code for a free game. Thanks, but that doesn't get the original game fixed.

17. Sophie74656

You should buy one of our items ;) we have to respond to emails within an hour and have no templates we use

Marynator and Brefugee like this.
  18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

My boss is like that with emails. She frequently answers questions I don't ask. She's also a snotty bitch, which is why I refuse to have verbal conversations with her.

I really need a new job.

19. Sophie74656

This is the first time I actually really like my job, my boss, and my coworkers. I just wish it payed better.

Marynator likes this.
  20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I don't like my coworkers or managers, but most of the Operations Managers & Engineers I support are OK. Plus the job is 50 miles away.