Work frustration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sophie74656, May 4, 2018.

1. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

I work with algorithm based predictive scoring, I guess I understand where insurance companies come from, you never know when someone's going to have an accident so you have to predict risk, and if an area is getting more and more claims you'd predict you have a higher risk there, so I feel their system makes sense? Plus like even if you're a good driver someone could hit your parked car if they're all reckless, right? I keep getting pestered by local insurance agents lol but no one can match GEICO for price and I feel their service is also so amazing.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a positive story about customer service: So, long story short, I had an Emusic account years ago and had bought lots of music on there, but it had been many years since I had last used it. That music turned out to be something I forgot to back up recently during my upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. I figured, I'd log in and check if the music was still on that account to see if I could download it back. I was having trouble login in though, and password reset emails weren't arriving. So, I contacted customer service, and was actually very pleased with the quality of service I had received. No canned responses. Throughout our emails back and forth, I learned that my account needed to be reactivated, which they did. Managed to get the password reset emailed, told them as such when they were awaiting feedback, and managed to log in to my account. Sadly, the music wasn't there. Was quite a disappointment, but I had already known it was a long shot, so despite all that, I still gave them top marks (rated the email) because they did the job they were supposed to do and did it well and was happy for that, given that my music not being there was not their fault.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Speaking about insurance, in the UK companies have signed up for fairer prices for loyal customers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44039846

Talk is cheap however, have to wait to see if they live up to their pledges.

It might seem silly I know, but if I've been a customer for X years, there should be no difference between the rate I pay and the rate a new customer pays with a near identical insurance history to me for the same type of car.

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I'm reminded of the time when I decided to replace my Discman, and checked online to see which of the local places might have something within my budget. The closest was Staples, so rather than order it online I decided to just go over to the store and get it.

When I asked the nearest clerk to direct me to where they were in the store, she got a baffled look on her face and said, "Oh, they haven't made those for 20 years. You have to go to a pawnshop."

I asked her to explain, in that case, why I had just seen them on the store's website the night before, if they "haven't been made for 20 years." She wouldn't even check to see if there were any, so I told her, "Your store's loss is London Drugs' gain. You've just lost a customer."

So I walked out, went home, ordered from London Drugs (little higher price, had to pay shipping, but the item arrived sooner than expected, and works great).

I was still put out by the bad service from Staples, so I decided to call the manager and let him know that this clerk needs a refresher course in customer service. By the time I was able to even get a manager (the store's phone directory doesn't work worth shit), I was steamed not only about the clerk, but about how crappy the store's phone system works.

I told the manager that the clerk's attitude was inexcusable - and that if it was merely that she didn't want to admit not knowing about a product, her answer should have been "I'm not sure, but I'll ask, or find someone who can help you" - not hand me a song and dance about pawn shops and actively drive away a customer who had been ready to buy something.

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did the site say the item was available at that store location? Sometimes companies have products available for order on their website but don't actually carry it in their retail stores. It's a completely separate side of the company.

Kor

Nakita Akita likes this.
  6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think the issue was more the attitude of the assistant, who knows perhaps she thought the OP was talking about Walkman's instead Discman's. But if you not sure you either check or ask someone who likely will know i.e. a member of management.

7. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

When the external consultant wants to have a meeting to discuss Process X, but instead of inviting the man and the woman who support Process X, he invites the man who supports Process X, and another man who is technically in the same group but doesn't actually deal with Process X at all...

Marynator likes this.
  8. Timewalker

If they didn't have one at that store, I'd have asked to order it in. I never got the chance to find out whether they had it or not.

Exactly. The clerk was rude and dismissive, and had not the slightest interest in helping me. She should have asked a supervisor, or at least one of the more experienced employees.

I don't mind if a clerk says "I don't know" as long as their next words are "but I'll try to find out for you."

BTW, this is by far not the first time I've gone to a store to get a specific item I know they have, but get told that they don't have it and I have to go elsewhere - or they never did have it. A Walmart greeter told me with a straight face that they didn't carry computer desks and I'd have to go to a big city like Edmonton or Calgary. So I looked around and found them myself, took measurements, and when I left I waved my notebook under the greeter's nose and told him, "These are the measurements I took of the computer desk you told me you don't sell here."

Years later, same store, I'm there to replace my landline. The clerk claimed the cheapest thing they had was a cordless phone that was well beyond what I could pay, and I told her, that's ridiculous, there has to be a basic non-cordless phone around. She said no, so I said I'd find it myself. And a few minutes later I did find it... and showed it to her, letting her know (in front of the customer she was currently dealing with) that I'd found the phone she claimed the store didn't have.

And there was the time I went to a craft store to pick up some more metallic goldfingering (a kind of metallic crochet thread). It wasn't where they usually kept it, so I asked a clerk where they'd moved it to. She had no idea what this stuff was, and was getting frustrated when I explained it to her. Finally she got the same expression I've seen on other clerks when they just want the customer to go away, so I told her, "And don't tell me you never did carry this, because I bought my last batch here in this store just a couple of months ago."

Her jaw snapped shut, as that was going to be the next thing she intended to tell me.

So again... I don't mind an honest "I don't know" but I do mind rude, dismissive attitudes and being lied to.

Marynator and UncleRogi like this.
  9. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

Oh dear I'm so very sorry, I find that's absolutely disgusting. I totally feel your pain on a constant basis. I'm in charge of fraud metrics analysis for my whole bank, but for some reason I don't get included on meetings to realign targets, so I'm like the last person to find out, and that's when I publish a report and one of the men who was actually included tells me "You're still using your old targets", so I'm just like thinking ARGH WHY WOULDN'T YOU INCLUDE LIKE LITERALLY THE PERSON WHO NEEDS THIS MOST? I also like create everything for my team, they just use it and run it, but any changes or fixes I have to do. On my team there are 5 people, the other four are all men and their titles are "Bank Officer", I'm the only woman and my title is "Vice President", but when someone has a question or wants something really explained in depth, who do you think they choose to go to? Then my colleague can't answer and has to come to me. I don't understand, I like constantly get praised, and I'm the like only person in our whole group who is unanimously agreed should get top performance ratings, and obviously I'm getting recognized with titles and raises, but I still feel like I don't have real practical respect, if you know what I mean? I'm so terribly sorry for my rant, just feeling a little triggered I guess lol.

@Timewalker oh dear I'm so sorry, it's so terribly frustrating. I remember when Tim Hortons was first coming out with their chicken stew in bread bowls, I really wanted to try them, but every time I went there the employee would always tell me they're all out of bread bowls. I was very frustrated after like the fifth time, so I sort of got a bit whiny, and a manager heard me I guess and she was like "We have a bunch, they're just in the back", so the girl went and got one, and it took like 5 minutes to make so I'm thinking they just didn't like doing it and would tell people they're out. I've never gone back to Tim Horton's since, and I learned to make bread bowls myself and if I may say so mine are like 5 times better anyway.

UncleRogi and Avro Arrow like this.
  10. Timewalker

That's a shame. That clerk deprived the company of someone who could have become a regular customer.

Don't judge all Tim Hortons places by that one person, though. I've never had bread bowls because the nearest Tim Hortons is a mall kiosk and they don't do actual meals there. It's basically a coffee/hot chocolate/pop and doughnut/Timbits place. So sometimes I'll stop and pick up a 20-pack of Timbits. The employees are nice enough, but the last time they got my order mixed up and thought I meant that I wanted a box each of honey glazed and chocolate instead of a box containing both. I decided not to make a complaint about it since I do like both kinds and telling them they'd made a mistake would have meant throwing out everything (literally into the dumpster since they couldn't put them back on the rack for other people) and starting over.

11. Owain Taggart

I never even got to try them because of that very reason. One of the most annoying things about Timmies is their volume vs demand. You would think that they would know promotions signal increased demand on a product, so why not send more of the product to stores? But multiple times I've been told when ordering various products that they're all out, and most of the time during dinner hours. Being that we rely on them a lot while travelling, it's quite annoying.

As for getting orders wrong, this happened to me last month. So, I was ordering a wrap with grilled chicken. I mentioned twice I wanted grilled chicken. I get my order and it's breaded chicken. Seriously? it's like they don't even pay attention.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  12. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

My insurance goes up even with no claims.
    Okay, well I just got rear-end today on the way to work.
    No damage to the car. I'll see how I feel in a day or two.....
    But privioysly my insurance would always go up slowly. It's a sneak attack that way.
    Go find a bill from a few years back......

13. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I tried to sign up with geico. Got a quote for much less than I'm currently paying. Went to buy the policy and suddenly the payment amount trippled. I have a clean driving record

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate it when that happens.

Kor

15. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I used to work fast food at the drive through window.
    People would drive I and Say:
    I want a cheese burger with everything,
    (About 4 seconds later I have mayonnaise, catsup, tomato, lettuce, pickles and onions on that bun.)
    ....except, they continue, drawing out the word, mayo, and lettuce, no lettuce, no onions, no mustard, no tomatoes, oh and no cheese. Thanks"

Seriously, People would order cheese burgers with no cheese.

One time I went to a drive through with my boyfriend and he ordered two fish tacos.
    Then proceeded to ask if there was fish on the tacos!
    OMG! I almost fell out of the car laughing my butt off.
    And he's like, "whaaaaat?????"
    I was laughing so hard I couldn't even talk!

16. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I do that!

I’m allergic to dairy. And there are places that put cheese on all their burger options. So, I have to order mine that way.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:drool: Do they still do that? Because I'm coming to Canada in a couple of days and I MUST HAVE THIS

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  18. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

I hate this kind of thing. I used to work for a survey company and as part of the job we had to go to landowners and ask them a series of questions. There were two of us, me (at the time a punk-ass, scowling, English white male in early twenties clad in a torn music t-shirt, baggy nu-metal combats and a badly fitting high-vis jacket hanging off my awkward, skinny frame) and my senior (friendly, professional looking Spanish lady in mid/late thirties clad in smart shirt and chinos). She, being the senior would introduce us and the company and ask the all questions, but the landowners without fail (man or woman) would return all the answers looking straight at me as if she didn't even exist and the questions were being asked my some disembodied voice. We used to discuss afterwards was this landowners racist or misogynistic? We decided in the end probably both. I had always believed the British people to be tolerant and found this was something of a sad wake-up call to who many of my people are. I was truly disgusted in how they felt they could treat someone because she was a foreign woman.

19. Owain Taggart

Sadly no. They've only ever done it as a limited-time offering. It's never been part of their standard menu.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

:wah:

Oh well. I still love their coffee. :)