Will an old school Trek episode be accepted by modern audiences?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Swarm Emperor, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Swarm Emperor

Swarm Emperor Ensign Red Shirt

As we all know, large numbers of ST episodes across all five series' have often been very cerebral and moralistic, focusing on teaching a lesson or exploring the many facets of humanity. Some of Star Trek's greatest stories have come out of these episodes, but I'm wondering, would they be acceptable to modern audiences in the new show? I'm asking this because I think it's germane to the possible survival of Discovery. We live in the age of Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and the multitudinous Marvel shows, where many of the episodes are like mini action films. Do you think modern viewers would accept a show with a large complement of episodes like The Child and many others, or will they demand a more action-based series? I'm worried that while too much action could dilute the Trek uniqueness, a show that plays things too conservatively could bore audiences and sink the show.

2. VulcanMindBlown

VulcanMindBlown Commander Red Shirt

I don't think that the movies should be about hard thinking, because movies are about thrills.

I'm not sure how the new TV show(s) will go over, if they are more (or have to be) philosophical.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Commodore Commodore

Modern audiences accept old school Trek reruns on tv so I see no difference whether the same moral story is told in 1965 or 2016.

4. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's roughly 2 action episodes a season in both Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. The rest of the episodes each season tell a variety of stories. Though, being GOT and TWD, they're usually cynical as all hell. They might start out as a parable, only to invert it, proving in the end that Shakespeare was right and no good deed goes unpunished. TWD is particularly guilty of this. GOT much less so. Its lesson is usually "don't be so naive" more than "don't try being a good person".

C57D likes this.
  5. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Morals and other things won't matter if the show isn't entertaining and holding an audience. Even Roddenberry knew this back in 1966.

[​IMG]

Armus, Vger23, Jedi_Master and 4 others like this.
  6. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

I don't think CBS is going to produce "old school Trek" again, so the point's probably moot.

Vger23, saddestmoon and BillJ like this.
  7. gamer1

gamer1 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Depends. Star Trek atit's adventure, and story best, without a doubt. Star Trek pushing down moralistic viewpoints down the audiences throat.. No. Too much else to watch these days.

8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Captain Red Shirt

Actually tv today explores issues more than they use to. The only difference is that don't always have to hide the issue through allegory. I think people would be very open to a show that deals with modern and universal issues. the fact that we are getting a gay character is one sign of this. Plus if the show is about the klingon war then I asume we will get stuff that deals with war issues. I know DS9 also did that but I think "Discovery" could take that concept to another level.

Jason

9. Bones

Bones Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Story telling and audience expectations have evolved since the TOS and TNG. You can't say however that as a whole these series lacked action and were morally pedantic.

I do expect some Trek themes to be explored. But as I expect an updated look and feel, I also expect modern story telling strategies to get the point across.

10. Tesophius

Tesophius Commander Red Shirt

I think that Star Trek should stand out from the crowd of shows that you've listed, as far as I'm concerned they're all horse manure and people that crave that level of "quality" already have a ton of shows to watch, mass produced in conveyor belts following the same formula and nonstop action. If Star Trek descends into the HM (horse manure) style of modern television it will not gain viewers that watch other HM shows but will also lose Trekkies such as myself that want Star Trek full of substance.

If I see a glimpse of them trying to make Game of Thrones or any other HM type of a show out of Star Trek, I'll cancel my subscription immediately and just pretend this show doesn't exist and will satisfy my need for Trek with the hundreds of strong episodes from previous series. The only chance Star Trek has for success is by doing it's own thing and not chasing the lowest common denominator. This is the reason that younger viewers still want to watch TOS from the 1960's, because it's unique and stands above anything that's on tv right now.

C57D likes this.
  11. Noname Given

Noname Given Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    Too bad he seemed to let this slide during TNG's run. ;)

donners22, Kor and BillJ like this.
  12. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure, but the two aren't exclusive.

13. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

We also live in the age of "Interstellar" and "The Martian."

Audiences can do just fine with something that isn't action-driven.

Kor

Tesophius likes this.
  14. BillJ

BillJ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked The Martian. Interstellar put me to sleep.

Campe98 likes this.
  15. Tesophius

Great point. The popularity of Interstellar, one of the best Sci Fi movies of all time, is a strong case for an argument that there is abundant demand for cerebral sci-fi. Considering that there are countless of shows catering to the opposite of the spectrum, Star Trek would be wise to target a largely untapped audience.

16. Celestial

Celestial Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

Some, but not all. Unfortunately, quite a few people mistakenly believed that The Martian was a docu-drama.

17. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Trek series still seem to be pretty popular on Netflix so I'm guessing yes.

I'd love to see some quieter done in ones mixed in occasionally. If not I'm fine with that as well.

18. Tesophius

LMAO, some people thought it was based on real events?

Ing3nu likes this.
  19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Wait a minute, The Child? That's the episode you're holding up as an example of the pinnacle of Trek's greatness. Season 2 of TNG isn't really one of the better seasons for the franchise, but even that season alone had much better episodes than The Child.
    Both movies are overrated.

20. Hela

Hela Commodore Commodore

I didn't accept The Child when I watched it in the 90's. I'm certainly not going to accept it now.

Dear writers: If DIS could leave behind it's predecessors consistently bizarre attitude towards rape, that would be great.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Zonker, BillJ and donners22 like this.