Why is "the edge of the universe" in WNOHGB so different compared to regular space?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Unimatrix Q, Jan 16, 2023.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't heard of either and am not into Metallica but I'm glad you are googling the stuff, Jes! :techman:
    JB

2. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Both those tracks are available as original album versions (also live) and in some ways even better with symphony orchestration by Michael Kamen from 1999 S&M concert, highly recommended. =)

3. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I still have the S & M cd. Metallica plus a symphony... that was really awesome.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

To quote Peter Pan "Dying would be an awfully big adventure."
    That's an excellent album. Have you heard "The Hu" cover "Sad but True?" Mongolian rock band and it is amazing!

5. Farscape One

"Sad But True" is one of my two favorite songs from the Black album. ("Wherever I May Roam" being the other.) I have never heard of The Hu (nor did I know there was such a thing as 'Mongolian Rock'), but they are clearly paying to The Who. (Another great band.)

6. fireproof78

If ever I am having a down day/week/month The Hu help. The energy is palpable.

7. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Heh, I have been listening to The Hu for years and it never once occurred to me their name might be paying homage to The Who.

Maybe it's because I've never actually spoken with anyone about them, so their name just remained compartmentalized in my brain as text, and never how it sounded.

8. Farscape One

I could be wrong, of course. But if they are doing rock, and the word 'Hu' looks like it's just an asian way of saying 'who', it certainly seems like an homage to me.

9. fireproof78

It isn't intentional, as the genre is called "hunnu rock" named for a specific Mongolian dynasty. However, it does have that nice verbal similarity:

10. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

To make fun of things is often a way to lessen fear and other unpleasant emotions ;)

11. fireproof78

Humor is not the absence of fear, but acknowledging it and willingness to find something beyond fear. I see no reason to be stuck in fear of the unknown, when unknown defines humanity and the quest for knowledge lays the foundation of exploration.