Why do ghosts always wear clothes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jayson1, Jun 24, 2018.

1. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I think Ghosts are kind of recordings from the past. I don't think that they are sentient or sapient but are images being replayed from the past.

2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like to think of ghosts as being more than one type. There’s the recorded image, or sound, a repetition of some past event. Like those stories of the lift being heard in a condemned building, or a train on a long abandoned railway.

Then there’s the presence. Where you never quite see or hear anything, but things aren’t quite right. Items moved, strange or even familiar scents that remind us of someone no longer with us, as if they’re still here.

3. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think of ghosts as being figments of people's imaginations.

4. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Partially based, he's drawn from several mythological and historical figures, including no less than the father of Yuletide Wodan, also known as Odin.

5. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps that is the problem why ghost can't be proved or why people don't see them all the time. One has to be open to a idea for one's brain to perceive things outside of the normal spectrum of life. It's why children and more eccentric types see them more than people who are more conservative or skeptical. How the human brain works I think is still a mystery so maybe we all have access to see a bigger world if we knew how to channel it at full potential.

Jason

Butters, Velocity and Nakita Akita like this.
  6. Pingfah

Uh huh.

7. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

that would fit with the theory of an ancient greek philosopher (I can't remember who it was - last history lesson was 40 years ago.. I think it might have been Anaxagoras or Leukippos)
    He postulated that when you see an image, it's actually the outermost layer of atoms of a thing that sortof peels off and slips into you. (This theory also explains nicely why old things get fragile.)
    So ll things would constantly shed a stream of atoms and if you could condense time it'd look rather like a warp speed stripe.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Actually there are quite a lot of skeletal ghosts in movies, who appear decayed. I guess it depends on what's cheaper to have the makeup/CGI department make.

9. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I watched an episode or like two maybe last night of the X-Files.
    There were ghosts of children.
    I think it would have been really against all sorts of laws if they filmed those ghost children without clothes:thumbdown:

10. Butters

It was gratuitous yes, in this day and age, but I don’t remember to much fuss about superman when that child climbed out of the crater in the nip.

Clothed ghosts in tv is less bothersome than disabled ghosts. In Medium or Ghost Whisperer or some other drivel I was persuaded to watch, there was a spirit afflicted by a learning difficulty that they seemed to take to the afterlife. Dealt a bum hand, for all eternity. That can’t be right.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Nakita Akita and Asbo Zaprudder like this.
  11. Pingfah

Why aren't there caveman ghosts all over the place? Neanderthal ghosts, or dinosaur ghosts?

I mean the universe is how many billions of years old? But ghosts seem to have a pretty short shelf life.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Dresden Files covered that one, once. :lol:

13. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    Maybe the dinosaur ghosts eat the Neanderthal ghosts?

Nakita Akita and Jedman67 like this.
  14. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's possible that since it's not like ghost need to be tethered to the planet that some of them might simply have floated up into space.

Jason

Nakita Akita likes this.
  15. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably the same reason the vast majority of alien sightings resemble...
    [​IMG]
    Predisposition, or even sometimes pareidolia, like...
    [​IMG]
    We see what we expect to see. Eyewitness account is some of the crappiest evidence there is :rofl:

16. Butters

That face on mars really fired my imagination at the time. I never seriously considered it to be what it appeared, but a high resolution 3D of that rock isn’t a tenth as interesting as the original image.

Mojochi likes this.
  17. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it kinda takes the old wind out of the sails, don't it? lol
    [​IMG]

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  18. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, but if they don't exist, you can't say they don't wear clothes. They can't not wear clothes. In fact, since they don't exist, they equally can and cannot wear clothes. Think of it as dividing by zero. But totally different.

Jedman67 likes this.
  19. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

My butt has to be open to the idea that monkeys might fly out of it.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  20. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You forgot to carry the 1. :lol:

The nonexistence of ghosts means there's no noncorporeal entity to wear clothes. More to the point, there's no noncorporeal entity to convey the impression that it's wearing clothes. Kiri-kin-tha's First Law of Metaphysics ("Nothing unreal exists") is applicable here rather than Schrödinger's Cat since the cat exists and the phantom doesn't.