Poll Who will YOU ship for?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Timofnine, May 23, 2022.

?

Who will YOU be shipping for?

1. Pike and Number One (this could change as shown when she went missing)

13.4%
  2. Pike and Una

16.4%
  3. Pike and La’an

4.5%
  4. Pike and Spock

17.9%
  5. Pike and Chapel

3.0%
  6. Pike and Uhura

3.0%
  7. Pike and Ortegas

3.0%
  8. Pike and M’Benga

7.5%
  9. Pike and April

6.0%
  10. Pike and T’Pring

6.0%
  11. Pike and Hemmer

4.5%
  12. Una and La’an

11.9%
  13. Una and Spock

6.0%
  14. Una and Chapel

4.5%
  15. Una and Uhura

4.5%
  16. Una and Ortegas

3.0%
  17. Una and M’Benga

6.0%
  18. Una and April

3.0%
  19. Una and T’Pring

4.5%
  20. Una and Hemmer

3.0%
  21. La’an ‘an Spock

9.0%
  22. La’an ‘an Chapel

7.5%
  23. La’an ‘an Uhura

6.0%
  24. La’an ‘an Ortegas

11.9%
  25. La’an ‘an M’Benga

3.0%
  26. La’an ‘an April

3.0%
  27. La’an ‘an T’Pring

4.5%
  28. La’an ‘an Hemmer

4.5%
  29. Spock and Chapel

41.8%
  30. Spock and Uhura

11.9%
  31. Spock and Ortegas

3.0%
  32. Spock and M’Benga

6.0%
  33. Spock and April

6.0%
  34. Spock and T’Pring

14.9%
  35. Spock and Hemmer

7.5%
  36. Chapel and Uhura

7.5%
  37. Chapel and Ortegas

13.4%
  38. Chapel and M’Benga

6.0%
  39. Chapel and April

3.0%
  40. Chapel and T’Pring

6.0%
  41. Chapel and Hemmer

3.0%
  42. Uhura and Ortegas

3.0%
  43. Uhura and M’Benga

4.5%
  44. Uhura and April

3.0%
  45. Uhura and T’Pring

3.0%
  46. Uhura and Hemmer

4.5%
  47. Ortegas and M’Benga

4.5%
  48. Ortegas and April

3.0%
  49. Ortega and T’Pring

4.5%
  50. Ortega and Hemmer

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

After rewatching some early TOS I want to see a ‘ship’ between Paul Wesley Kirk and the Enterprise itself. I don’t think that Pike loves his ship as much as he should, he never talks about her fondly. I want to see Paul Wesley Kirk on the Enterprise doting over her, similar to how a guy might tell his mates about someone that they have a ‘crush’ on like in those 1970’s Grease movies. We could even have a scene where Kirk brushes his hand across a deck panel ‘touching the ship’ just like what Picard and Data did with the Phoenix. Then one day… Kirk can gain his Captaincy of the Enterprise and ‘marry’ his love!

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

La'an is thrown into a situation in which she must cooperate with a Gorn officer for survival, and in the process comes to the startling realization that not everyone in the Gorn hegemony is a xenomorphic monster. Romance ensues.

Kor

dupersuper likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want Chapel to wreck the Spock household. Take that silly Vulcan boy down in flames with you, Christine.

JRob94 likes this.
  4. Timofnine

After watching The Naked Time for the first time in decades, I can not help but now dedicate my shipper loyalties towards Spock and Chapel. :wah:

Spock is *heartbroken* over not being able to be with her in the future. Literally emotionally devastated. He is lucky that he is a Vulcan and can suppress these feelings… most of the time. His love of Chapel becomes a part of his internal battle against his human side I think.

Could these two characters have ended up together ‘in the future’? There is a lot of time between ‘The Undiscovered Country’ and ‘Unification’… Maybe this is the marriage that Picard attended? I doubt it though, unless Chapel somehow lived to a ripe old age of course.

We actually don’t know Chapel’s long term fate either… :wah:

Midquest, ThetaSigma and JRob94 like this.
  5. valden

valden Commander Red Shirt

The only way I will now except Spock and Chapel as endgame is if the writers just come out and say SNW is an alternate reality.

The endgame pairing needs to be Spock and Uhura, this is a current re-watch of tos as a tribute to nichelle nicohls. the writers have already gotten a lot of things wrong in SNW to the point that I now feel they have disrespected Nichelle's legacy because a lot of TOS Uhura trait seem to have been given to SNW Chapel. will discuss this more.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plot twist: The writers announce that TOS is the alternate reality from the rest of ST canon. ;)

No; Gooding's Uhura is clearly based in significant part on Nichols's performance. And it's really gross to characterize different interpretations of a character as "disrespect" to someone right after they've died, particularly when Gooding, Saldaña, and numerous writers from SNW have all publicly posted about how much respect and affection they have for Nichols. That kind of shit is deeply hurtful to people who are just trying their best to honor her and her character.

ThetaSigma and KimMH like this.
  7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yes, unfortunately, we all know you will beat that dead horse into glue.

I didn't think it was possible to harass a fictional character before, but you're giving it your best shot.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

We all have skills...

9. valden

valden Commander Red Shirt

it is not harassing. it is calling spade a spade.
    Godding is nothing like Nichols performance. it is so strange with shipping because Ethan Peck and Jess Bush do go well together and can be a good couple if Chapel had just been a new character. However Nimoy and Nichols go well together and had the potential to be a good couple in TOS if not for the racism of the 60s that limited black women dating white men and making it look common.

Now since Peck is meant to grow into Nimoy and Gooding is meant to grow into Nichols then we should be seeing signs of that in SNW with Peck and Gooding. I do think this is a perfect example of what happens when some new actors are playing younger versions of very iconic characters made iconic by the legendary actors (Shatner and Nichols) but seem to have so little of their attributes

SNW Uhura does not have much in common with Nichols Uhura , even for another fact that they made her into more of the child on the show and part of the reason they did this is because they did not want Uhura taking too much attention away from Chapel and T-Pring because Uhura has a good habit of stealing the show from other women.

The snw writers also wanted to discourage people from shipping spock and uhura in SNW because the spock/uhura ship grew into quite a fanbase thanks to the Nu Trek movies. I think this one is very obvious with why Uhura is played as a kid here. However I don't think it will discourage their shippers because the spock/uhura ship is based more on this should happen or should have happened in the future. Wheras with the Spock/Chapel or even Spock/T-Pring ship. we know it is a thing of the distance past that that SNW is revisiting.

10. fireproof78

No, we shouldn't. Not looking for impersonation. These are characters at different stages of life and will be different. That is how humans work.

Sci, XCV330 and ThetaSigma like this.
  11. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Tl/dr: well those sure are all words

Midquest and XCV330 like this.
  12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

[​IMG]
    try to remember that you're in the simulator, er, you're watching TV.

you are aware the people you mention are actors playing parts, and that acting is an art? Art is not industrial replication.
    each artist gets to interpret the roll within the constraints of the script and the actor. And that's a good thing. You can enjoy different takes an a roll, even if you have a preference, even if one actor is largely acknowledged as having the definitive take on that character.

Degas won't be the last person to paint dancers. Maria Callas won't be the last to sing O Mio Babinno Caro. Someone besides Bogart will be a great Sam Spade, just not George Segal.

So no, the current actors are not expected to become the older actors. That's beyond silly.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No.

14. Captain Jollydark

Captain Jollydark Captain Captain

I'm going to follow Jack Quaid's lead and ship Spoimler.

XCV330 likes this.
  15. Timofnine

Maybe SNW is a result of the time warp which took place at the end of The Naked Time. Did you know that a time warp actually resolved all of this episodes problems in *most* respects? Joe Tormolen never came back though… :weep:

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. These are roles being interpreted and re-interpreted by generations of actors. Ships imagined by generations of artists. No different to superhero reboots, Sherlock Holmes or James Bond. Yes it's "prime universe" (wink) and "in continuity with TOS" (nudge nudge) but only in the broadest of strokes. It's a new TOS where Spock is wifed up but getting tempted, Christine is an adventurous badass and Uhura is a fresh cadet usure of her path. They'll end up in their familar places, but it won't be literal. Uhura will have confidence by the end. It's her journey to that which we're seeing.

KimMH, Mutai Sho-Rin and fireproof78 like this.
  17. fireproof78

Indeed. Strict literalism is more harmful to what is supposed to be an imaginative and fun process, not the labor of an archeologist, and anthropologist and a historian working on a dusty dig to figure out what this real world history looked like.

Sci and Mutai Sho-Rin like this.
  18. Timofnine

Any new shipping combinations that people would like to discuss before the new season commences?

@AntonyF , is it possible in Xenoforo 2.0 to add new polls in to existing threads? There are so many character combinations that I would like to add from the latter half of season 1, never mind what is yet to come, so it would be a cool feature if possible. :techman:

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m kind of shipping Pike and that female Starfleet Captain. I forget her name but I thought there was something there.

20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I guess I'm gonna go with Spock and, um, everybody.

Nerys Myk likes this.