Which Doctor Did You Like Better...Dr. Crusher or Dr. Pulaski?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by CmndrSela318, Apr 10, 2010.

1. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Crusher did stand up to him when he was wrong (and even also when she was wrong but understandably so).

Orphalesion likes this.
  2. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I wish Pulaski had been the doctor all 7 years; I wish she had been a relation to McCoy; McCoy's appearance in Farpoint should have been to see her off.

Whizkid, Qonundrum and Richard S. Ta like this.
  3. Jellico

Jellico Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like Pulaski. She seems more like a real person, someone I might know. She was only a blip in all the body of Trek but I’m glad she was on the show.

Whizkid, Richard S. Ta and TOMFAN like this.
  4. Vale

Vale Guest

I'm rewatching TNG season two now and I've finally pinned down something about Pulaski that's always bothered me (aside from the fantastic racism): her line delivery. I don't know if this is how Diana Muldaur actually felt but it sounds as though she either doesn't understand or doesn't care about most of the things she's saying. Sometimes she sounds so stilted it's as if she's reading out loud off cue cards.

5. Tuesday

Tuesday Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Agreeing to rather sleeping with Crusher because I like sleeping with the girls I like better mainly hahaha...

6. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know people like Dr.Crusher.

7. Whizkid

Whizkid Commander Red Shirt

I have to say I liked Pulaski better. She kicked a$$ (including Data's ) and wasn't afraid to die ("Unnatural Selection").

Whereas Beverly "naturally selected" Wesley.

8. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

She also slugged him. Once.

9. Whizkid

Had not been there (Pulaski), there wouldn't be here (ST Picard: Moriarty, Season 3).

Elementary Dear Data!

10. CmndrSela318

CmndrSela318 Trek BBS Commander Number 318. Red Shirt

I :adore:LOVE:adore: your idea. She could've been a granddaughter or great granddaughter or great great granddaughter of Dr. McCoy. That would've been so cool. It would have definitely explained why she was so much like McCoy. :sigh:Too bad no one on TNG at that time thought of it.
    :bolian::borg::cardie::klingon::rommie::vulcan: <---This represents Star Trek aliens who agree with me. A Bolian, Hugh the Borg, Garak, Mr. Worf, one of the young Romulans in the 2-parter Unification and Mr. Spock. LOL.

Whizkid likes this.
  11. Whizkid

Oh!

It would appear everything and everyone likes Pulaski better.

How unfortunate: C. Gates McFadden vs. Diana C. Muldaur. I love Beverly, but still...

No contest. Pulaski rules. OTE.

(It's been many a years coming)

12. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She abused him for being different. She was prejudiced. Being prejudiced is not "kicking ass" Or what else are you talking about?
    I know I'm a bit of a broken record, but Beverly did show that she wasn't afraid to get herself hurt or die either. Her actions in "The High Ground" are the best example.
    What is that even supposed to mean? That she gave birth to him?

Eremurus likes this.
  13. Whizkid

Ok. I'll take you on Orphalesion.

She was prejudiced. Every time she called Data, Daataah (with the unforgivable British accent, Data corrected her and she didn't care). But her prejudice created a way, over 30 years later, for Data/Lore and Moriarty to come back. We'll have to wait and watch where that goes when Picard S3 airs, but I've always loved TNG's version of Moriarty best (more even than Sherlock or House).

I think the problem is this: Data, being such a well rounded and complex character (next only to Spock, if that) poses a central challenge for us hoomans: we either treat him too much as a human (Picard, Measure of a Man) or not enough (Bruce Maddox, same episode). The point that gets lost is that Data isn't human, but, for his sentience, has every claim to every right that humans claim for themselves.

Into this picture, I feel, Pulaski inserts herself magnificently, neither too much to the left nor to the right. She's neither all-understanding Picard nor all-consuming Maddox. She simply asks, if a "computer" can really solve a problem beyond its programming. And thereafter the story unfolds brilliantly.

I think Pulaski, and much later, Picard, struggle with this central question: Data exposes the limits of humans, but are there limits to Data as well? Emotions, friendships, daughters...?

I love Data.

Qonundrum likes this.
  14. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. I've come around to that opinion. As a kid, I was probably drawn to the soft motherliness of Crusher. Pulaski embodied a mean vice principal.

Now I imagine Beverly Bland with her pinking shears and granny gowns while Pulaski is hanging out in 10F smoking cigars and pounding a bourbon shot between each flight of craft beer.

15. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do hope Pulaski will make an appearance in season 3 of Picard, but I have my doubts. Diana Muldaur didn't exactly have a great time on set during TNG.

Whizkid and Qonundrum like this.
  16. Eremurus

Eremurus Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There's a reason nobody ever thinks or talks about Pulaski. Nothingburger, forgettable character.

17. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Right, that's why we have this topic and many more about Pulaski on this discussion board...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    TOMFAN and Whizkid like this.
  18. Greatn

Greatn Ensign Red Shirt

Bashir
    The other 2 are women

Whizkid likes this.
  19. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Ok, this is a stupid comment. The TNG forum is full of discussion regarding Pulaski as a few minutes of research would have revealed. Turning a personal bias into a “fact” won’t win any points here.

20. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Speaking of which........

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    Greatn likes this.