Which Doctor Did You Like Better...Dr. Crusher or Dr. Pulaski?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by CmndrSela318, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Johnny Luck

Johnny Luck Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Until now, reading through this thread, it never occurred to me of any comparisons-parallels between Pulaski and McCoy, certainly not between her working relationship with Data and McCoy's friendship with Spock. Because that is what I mainly remember about Pulaski, her insulting Data.

I think it was episode "Where Silence Has Lease', her asking "It does know how to do these things, doesn't it?" in reference to Data. Or mispronouncing his name or something like that. I love Data and lady, you may be the new Doc but you just off on the wrong foot with this Trekkie by doing that.

So her relationship with Data may have improved over the season but that first ugly impression has stuck with me to this day. So, yeah, not sorry at all to see you go doc.

In fact, around that time, Diana Muldaur was also appearing in the TV show LA Law. I kinda wished Pulaski would suffer the same fate her LA Law character suffered; Pulaski goes to leave the bridge, the turbolift doors open while she's talking & looking at Picard however there's no car present as she steps forward and WHOOSH!

2. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

That was a fairly common sentiment. Data was fan favorite character already, and anyone who messed with him... well, as you said, wrong foot.

3. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

+1 for the unreasonable dislike towards Pulaski based from those early interactions with Data.

4. warp-coil

warp-coil Lieutenant Red Shirt

I enjoyed them both. I wouldn't pit them against one another. Both very different and both suffered from some poor writing. McFadden wasn't given enough development, and Pulaski could have stayed around a bit longer (maybe in another capacity - especially given her history in Trek) and the jabs at Data.

Personally, her comments or hesitation when it came to Data wasn't meant to be harmful or hurtful. I think her character was naïve about androids. But as she spent time with him, she grew to see Data as something more, just like the audience did. It never once made me hate Pulaski.

Oddish likes this.
  5. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Me either. She and Data weren't going to have the acerbic "give and take" that McCoy and Spock did. But they had a relationship that (1) wasn't idealized, and (2) developed as Pulaski worked with Data and saw how he related with the others.

plynch likes this.
  6. TayJG

TayJG Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie

This is a weird question. Who do you like better: Taylor Switft, or me (an old man) dressed up in drag? That's how I see Crusher vs Pulaski.

Tuesday likes this.
  7. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

One thing about Pulaski putting down Data... it allowed the other characters to step up and show their regard for him. Picard declaring that Data knew exactly what he was doing, or Troi assuring her that Data would be fine as her delivery room companion.

Tuesday likes this.
  8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I don't recall Picard defending Data to Pulaski.

9. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

From "Where Silence Has Lease"...

PICARD: "Increase magnification by ten. By one hundred."
    (Data does, no result)
    PULASKI: "Isn't this impossible, sir? I'm not a Bridge officer, but..." (addresses Data) "Increase by one thousand, Mister Data. By ten thousand." (again, no result. Pulaski addresses Picard) "It does know how to do these things, doesn't it?"
    PICARD (harshly): "Commander Data knows precisely what he is doing."

Tuesday likes this.
  10. V'Lias

V'Lias Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For me it would have to be Pulaski. Although I'll admit I wasn't a big fan of her initial episodes! Once her arc continued, or the writers decided how to write her character, I really enjoyed the variety she added to the cast. When Crusher returned I was definitely disappointed, but there were a few decent Crusher episodes here and there later on.

11. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

She was far more static as a character, though. "Remember me" was amazing, but Crusher didn't really grow or change from it. Thankfully, "Sub Rosa" didn't seem to do much to her either.

12. V'Lias

V'Lias Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree, Remember Me was probably the best Crusher episode. They definitely didn't develop the character a lot though. I'm not sure how much farther they would have developed Pulaski, but I did like what they had done by the end of the season.