When did you know Enterprise was YOUR Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Blooded, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Blooded

Blooded Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, as a 15 year old at the time Enterprise started airing, the moment that I realised I was going to love this show came very early on in the first episode.

Given Deep Space Nine had been off the air for a few years, I'd not had any real male hero to look up to or identify with in Trek for quite some time. Voyager didn't provide me anything of the sort amongst its male characters, and Janeway certainly didn't give me those qualities to get excited about, either.

When Enterprise premiered, I was already a fan of Bakula due to Quantum Leap, but it was his scene outside sickbay, with the whole "knocking you on your ass" speech, when I knew I was going to love this show. Archer just spoke to me, and I really felt like I finally had a Trek captain that I could dream about being (I was probably a little put off Kirk at the time, just due to thinking the show was too old). ENT felt new, modern, and it had a guy who was a typical action hero.

I loved every moment of the show after that, and it's actually the show I've gone back to revisit the most over the years, too.

When did you know Enterprise was your Trek?

2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Season 4

Anna Yolei, Relayer1 and Blooded like this.
  3. Blooded

Took some time then? :D

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

First two seasons were patchy.

Third season having an arc would've been a big step forward for me (it was for some) if I'd liked the arc. I didn't.

Fourth season was great.

Anna Yolei, lazarus+ and Blooded like this.
  5. Blooded

Did your enjoyment of the fourth season make you look back at previous seasons/episodes/moments more fondly?

6. JLBTucker

JLBTucker Commander Red Shirt

I really liked most the characters from the start and their actors but man they were given nothing to work with in the writing department as a result the first two season were crap. After they put Brennan Braga on a bus in season 3 it got a lot better writing and well Trip Tucker doesn't hurt its chances with me. I know this series is a punching bag but I cant hate it and actually find some of the idiocy in the beginning kind of endearing.

Anna Yolei and lazarus+ like this.
  7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Unexpected.

The transition to the alien ship was...alien!

I just loved the whole thing.

Anna Yolei and KimMH like this.
  8. Blooded

Genuinely, not an answer I'd expect. I always feel like Unexpected is a harder sell on people, compared to the episodes that came before it. My non-Trekkie missus certainly did appreciate it when I showed it to her recently, given she's had two children in the last 4 years haha.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd already found stuff to enjoy in seasons one and two, even if they were patchy. Season three was objectively better, even if not to my taste.

I always watch (and purchase) Trek shows - even Voyager ! I like Trek. Some much more than others, but I like it all...

Blooded likes this.
  10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I was happy to see a more "alien" culture than just the forehead thing. Trip freaking out and Archer working him through it was well done. And although there was some humor, they did not trivialize the whole thing.

ENT was regular family viewing during its run. We all enjoyed it.

11. JLBTucker

I do have issues with unexpected,especially with trip unknowingly getting pregnant by another alien (so yeah raped) played for laughs so yeah.....

Anna Yolei likes this.
  12. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I realized ENT had become my second favorite Trek during my first re-watch of it. I was very hesitant, I absolutely despised the show when it originally aired (I will admit I was biased tho, I was busy with falling for Jean-Luc - err, TNG, I mean TNG - and I really didn't want to spend my time watching a series that looked more advanced than TOS but was set BEFORE it... I even stopped watching somewhere in season 3).

But the DVDs were on sale and I figured "hey, you can't go wrong with four seasons of a show for this low a price". So I bought them and actually sat down and took the time to really immerse myself and watch the show. I had also built up a headcanon for myself that enabled me to enjoy it without having to draw endless comparisons to TOS. And, somewhere along the way in the second season I suddenly found myself really liking the show, and also really liking T'Pol, who I had absolutely LOATHED before.

And this time I did not stop my re-watch during season 3 because I really actually LIKED the season a lot - it gave ENT its own tone, and it was different from everything Trek had done before. I guess that one hammered the whole "whoa, this is my second favorite Trek series now, how come I never noticed how good it is" point home even more for me.

13. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

I prefer Cowboys in space versus Diplomats in space. After TOS, ENT has become my next favorite Trek. Currently, H&I is replaying, in back to back format each night: TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, and even though ENT starts at midnight, I find myself watching it over the earlier shows.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Blooded likes this.
  14. Blooded

I believe that’s partly due to the fact that ENT has aged better than most of the other shows, visually. Doesn’t feel like you’re watching something as old as ENT actually is - I can’t say that about the other shows.

Anna Yolei, Roundabout and Henoch like this.
  15. JLBTucker

Its CGI is actually the best out of all of them,as much as I Love DS9 its CGI looks like crap and so does voyagers. For some of the best effects in series watch "In a mirror Darkly" the old Constitution class has never looked better

Henoch and Blooded like this.
  16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I saw the the pilot Broken bow when it aired for the very first time on tv. I like the Enterprise crew. And I've been doing a rewatch of seasons 3 &4 the stories are good and the cgi hold up well.

Blooded likes this.
  17. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

It took me a while to get into ENT, as I was put off by the decon scenes and the fact that yet another female main character had to wear clothes that didn't allow her to breath.
    But I'm glad I kept watching, because it ended up being one of my three favourite Trek series. Not sure at what point exactly that happened.

KimMH likes this.
  18. Admiral Picard

Admiral Picard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Here in Germany I guess it started in early 2002 on VHS. I was 13 years old and it was the first time that I watched a new trek series right from the maiden voyage. :) i was intrigued by the very good pilot and liked the tone and the characters from the very beginning. And at that time as a teenager I believed that this could really happen in about 150 years. The pace and the spirit of those nx-01 adventurers I could believe and comprehend in their actions.

So yeah, it was my trek from the get go, because i thought that the first season was very strong in comparison to the other shows first seasons. There were a lot of good shows in it. When the cliffhanger at the end of the season occured I was really blown away by it. How could Archer return to his century.
    Because of this very strong first season I was kinda upset given to the partly bad 2nd season, especially the conclusion of the suliban two parter.
    When ENT ended with its fourth season I was really sad, because I like the last one best with its story arcs. It was a good idea to do these arcs in order to save money. They only had about 800.000 $ per episode as far as i remember... right? They tried to compensate it, but sometimes you could see how often they had to use the same sets over and over again... they were also smaller and the effects were partly bad. Really bad. But then again the stories were those of a really good prequel series and i give a lot of credit to manny coto, the reeves-stevens-couple and mike sussman. There should have been an additional amount of three seasons.

19. bookworm8571

bookworm8571 Commander Red Shirt

I tried watching it when it was first on but I never got into it. The TV reception wasn’t great and it was so close to 9/11 that my heart just wasn’t in it. Then I started watching the series in reruns and it just clicked. I like it better than any of the other Treks except the original series, though I prefer the first two seasons over the last two.

20. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

I had not been watching the show during original airing, but I had been taping it (yeah, videotaping, that ancient primitive recording medium). Then I happened to be passing by the TV when "Similitude" was on. No context, just a scene with T'Pol and Trip (actually Sim, but I didn't know at the time) talking. And it was just wow. The chemistry between the actors, the concept of a human and a Vulcan with a potential romantic storyline, the music. I was hooked. I binge-watched the show to catch up in time for the premiere of Season 4.

I think it helped that I had not joined the Internet community, hadn't read much about it, wasn't tainted by any of the negativity, so I could form my opinion without any outside noise. I loved what I saw - the character interaction, the look and feel of the show, the beautiful production values and music and direction, the acting. I put TOS in its own category of wonderfulness because it introduced me to sci-fi, but Enterprise is my favorite of the rest.