When did the Janeway hatred truly start to coalesce?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ragitsu, Nov 17, 2021.

1. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Ransom started the Delta Quadrant journey with a bad decision.

He said in the first week there, they encountered the Krotownan Guard. He pressed onward instead of going around. That decision killed half his crew, and they never recovered from that loss.

The Equinox was a Nova class science ship, meaning it wasn't a ship meant for battle. He should have gone a different way.

(One thing to note: Voyager never encountered the Guard, meaning the Equinox took a different path home. We have no idea if Voyager would have fared better against them since we have no idea if that enemy had ships that Voyager could take on. I'm pretty sure Equinox wouldn't have survived either the Kazon or Vidiians. I always wondered what the Guard was like.)

His decision to keep going with those aliens was yet another bad decision. In some ways, he reminds me of Watters, the cadet who was made captain of the Valiant in DS9's "VALIANT".

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The Donner Party didn't murder each other for food. The people died first from starvation, disease, trauma and exposure, and then the starving survivors resorted to cannibalism. Though they felt extreme shame and tried to keep it a secret at first, there's no shame or wrongdoing in that.

Archer's piracy, as bad as it was, was not outright murdering the crew, and it can hopefully be assumed that once the Expanse was disbanded Earth Starfleet and the Vulcans sent out ships to find the ship lumbering home on impulse and repair it. Also, the stakes were trying to save humanity from extinction, which is a bit more important than making sure your ship gets home faster, or even preserving one ship and crew.

The Aldeans were victims of their own paranoia, isolationism and xenophobia. Had they just ended their isolationism and put out an appeal to the wider galaxy, their fertility crisis would have been solved by "primitive" outside medical treatments, and they would have found a galaxy's worth of compatible orphaned children in need of loving homes on an idyllic advanced world, sometimes whole planets of nothing but children in need of parents. Kidnapping children from their parents was entirely unnecessary and evil.

Also, Ransom was introduced to the energy providing aliens by a friendly species willing to trade and cooperate with them. They could have remained there longer to refuel and replenish and possibly even resettle, but they saw an opportunity to get home faster and took it.

4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Do we know that they were given the opportunity to stay longer?

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It wasn't explicitly spelled out, but they were friendly, avid traders, instroduced the crew to their spiritual beliefs, resupplied the ship and provided extended r&r. It seems likely that they would have permitted the crew to stay on some uninhabited continent or planetoid in their space in hopes of a further tech exchange. And it wouldn't even have been a prime directive violation, so bonus on mot mass murdering innocent aliens.

6. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Agreed, that would have been a better decision, if indeed it was possible.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

This reminds me a bit of the plot of INS, where I have problems that out-of-universe seem to exist to get the story to where the writers want it to be, but in-universe present as situations where Our Heroes might have saved themselves from an unpleasant situation if they'd just asked more questions or been less hard-headed.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shades of Wanda\Vision!

There should have been an episode where the memories surfaced, and she wanted her half Nazi baby back.

Baby back, baby back, half Nazi baby back. Baby back, baby back, half Nazi baby back. Baby back, baby back, half Nazi baby back.

9. Ragitsu

Ragitsu Commodore Commodore

Guy, have you been hitting the sauce?

10. Guy Gardener

What sort of idiot orders ribs and forgets the sauce?

Richard S. Ta and Oddish like this.
  11. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to agree. Ribs without sauce is... wrong.

Ribs must have sauce rubbed on it. Rub with love.

Oddish likes this.
  12. Guy Gardener

I always rub with love.

13. Ragitsu

Ah...you've been knocking back the Starfleet Admiral Special; it's the kind of brew that makes men go loopy.

14. Guy Gardener

Flesh and blood Janeway on Prodigy seems less like Hitler, but...

Janeway's crew you suspect should be hand picked? A member of her crew was a telepathic refugee baby in counterpoint, and this was a surprise to Kathryn, who still does not give a shit about her lower decks.

Although it's possible that the ship she is using in Prodigy was just a nearby vessel that she comadeered a few days ago.

15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Spoiler-free response: I expect that Janeway simply took command of the Dauntless when Chakotay was confirmed missing.

Summer Solstice and Farscape One like this.
  16. Ragitsu

"Nah...she couldn't have been that bad. She didn't require a photograph of herself to be displayed in every room."

17. Ragitsu

You have not experienced The Saga of Janeway until you have read it in the original Klingon.

At her worst, would Kathryn Janeway have made for an admirable Klingon?

jackoverfull likes this.
  18. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Kahless himself would likely have lusted after her, smooth forehead or no.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  19. Ragitsu

Oh, man...how could I have forgotten?

[​IMG]

20. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure I remember the Voyager being displaced into the Delta Quadrant before the Equinox as didn't Janeway state in an early episode that there weren't any other Federation ships missing? But I think it is made clear in the two part episode that the Equinox has been lost for much longer in the Expanse? Strange that both ships made different enemies by different decisions.
    JB