What's in YOUR 'head canon'?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jedi Marso, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I broadly accept the shared continuity of the Pocket Books novels that has emerged since the post-series DS9 novel line began with Avatar in 2001. (Almost 20 years now...!)

2. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if some of the freed Borg take on a derelict non-Borg ship and form their own crew of misfits.

Nyotarules and Coyote Annabis like this.
  3. Graham

Graham Commander Red Shirt

I don't really have a head canon as such. I go with what I've taken to call the ALATED canon - All Live Action Trek Except Discovery.

Tenacity and Coyote Annabis like this.
  4. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that would make a cool story. Just need them a modus operandi

5. Charles Markov

Charles Markov Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have looked for something similar and could not find anything, though I am willing to admit there may have been such a thread staring me in the face.
    Generally this thread is for any ideas or headcannon you have for Startrek not big enough for their own thread. You have an idea as to why the Miranda/Oberth/Excelsior classes were kept in active service for so long? Share it! How many Constitution class ships were actually in service in tos? Post it here!

6. Charles Markov

Star Trek Enterprise is a slightly modified and not terribly realistic version of a real ship actually called Enterprise NX-01 that existed in the past. The program Riker was running in the holodeck during the series last episode was embellished and some things changed like many movies today set in a historical period. Some of the things the ship did (Namely everything that conflicted with established cannon or was just plain old stupid) were the result of the program doing its thing to keep Riker entertained.
    Temporal cold war? Fake and invented to show how the legendary figure of Archer had all the answers and also tie into another popular holodeck series.
    Suliban? Existed, but in a very different form from their cannon equivalent.
    The Klingons and Ferengi? Neither would make contact with Earth for many decades (and the Ferengi would not be known about until the 2280s) and Archer would certainly have no contact with either.
    T`Pol? Existed and for a time was engaged in a relationship with the ships engineer. Largely unchanged, however the Vulcan-Human animosity was never as big a thing.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There IS such a thing as the Starfleet Marine Corps. :techman:

It would not contradict Kirk's assertion in TOS that Starfleet is a combined service. The Starfleet Marines are no less Starfleet than the "naval" personnel we have seen up until now. It's just that, being ground troops, the SFMC would of course have their own rank system (and probably uniforms as well). Indeed, the existence of COLONEL West from ST VI would seem to support this. ;)

And about those uniforms: Starfleet Marines as of DSC and TOS would wear the same kind of uniform as the rest of the fleet does - but black in color.

Charles Markov likes this.
  8. Charles Markov

I have always thought it somewhat odd that there was never a MACO equivalent in other Star Trek series. Some form of shipboard light infantry that could be deployed in situations that regular shipboard security was ill suited to. Not necessarily the same as a proper ground army. But a force large equipped for rapid insertion missions and lighting strikes on ground bases and boarding actions.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  9. Mr. Laser Beam

Indeed, I seem to remember Gene Roddenberry himself once suggested that there was a platoon of Starfleet Marines on the Enterprise during TOS...

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Merged with a long-running thread on the subject.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  11. Charles Markov

Ok great! Wonder why this thread did not show up when I searched? Anyway thanks.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is money on Earth in Trek's future, Picard only says all that stuff to get out of paying for anything.

JonnyQuest037 and Nyotarules like this.
  13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, but it's really called the United Federation Marine Corps (UFMC). :) They really hate it when you call them "Starfleet Marines". Walk into any bar in any starport in the Federation, and go up to the first UFMC gunnery sergeant you see and call them a "Starfleet marine" and see how that turns out for you.

somebuddyX and Charles Markov like this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

In TOS, Kirk says that Starfleet is a combined service. That's what made me suspect that the term 'Starfleet' encompasses both naval and marine detachments.

15. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

My "canon" is what I've written in my Kes stories on the Kes Website.

16. Charles Markov

My headcannon for that is that combined means that Starfleet was an amalgamation of the United Earth Stellar Navy and United Earth Space Probe Agencies which had proceeded it. And that it was tasked with performing the same missions as the preceding two agencies. That of defense and exploration. Although care for the colonies and ground combat could also be included.

17. Janeway_74656

Janeway_74656 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like to think that the version of Voyager and its crew that we saw in "Living Witness" was the Voyager crew of the Mirror Universe. Their separation from Mirror-Starfleet probably is cause for their difference in uniforms and lack of goatees? Maybe?

Phoenix219 and Lance like this.
  18. Shawnster

Those three ship classes were the most versatile designs ever built. They were easily upgradable as new technologies came online. Other ships were more powerful or had better qualities, but they were either fragile or they were not flexible enough to accommodate multiple upgrades over the long term.

The Constitution Class was a workhorse but eventually was outpaced by technology. At the time of Tomorrow is Yesterday there were 12 Connies in the fleet. This allowed room for other cruisers as depicted in Star Fleet Battles, FASA, or the Ships of the Star Fleet books. Instead of having scores and scores of a single starship class, the Federation invested in multiple classes of limited numbers.

The Enterprise refit in TMP was the result of a strategic arms treaty with the Klingons and/or Romulans that stipulated fleet size limits. The Enterprise refit was not "technically" an addition to the fleet size. This limitation was dissolved as part of the Khitomer Accords.

The Federation entered a pacifist mode in the early to mid 24th century. This mindset was a transition of thought and attitude. One example of the change was the reclassification /propaganda / philosophy that Starfleet was no longer viewed as a military organization despite all evidence to the contrary. This philosophy was abandoned during the Dominion War.

The moneyless Federation is really just a lack of hard currency. By the 23rd century Federation currency was a form of Bitcoin. I'm willing to compromise and claim that humans in the 24th century do not use money. But only humans or human colonies, or Earth/Sol system. The Federation as a whole still uses a monetary economy.

Rahul likes this.
  19. bolak

bolak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1. UFP ship names are not generally prefixed USS, except for the ones named from Earth sailing ships due to some weird history fetish the Terrans maintain.

2. Enterprise 1701 was one of the twelve Constitution Class which was a subclass of the prolific <whatever> starship design which numbered in the multiple hundreds.

3. Reliant is of the Surya / Coventry / Avenger lineage. Miranda is a Moon of Sol VII.

4. Deliberate time travel is impossible. Those episodes are just novels that the crew are playing on the holodeck.

5. The Bird of Prey is Romulan. Every time it appears in TNG it's actually an LCARs graphics error, the Binars accidentally loaded that into the models database instead of a K'Tinga.

6. The first human warp flight was by a test pilot working for Zephram Cochrane at the Alpha Centauri settlement ( see also point 4 ).

7. A Warbird could shred a Galaxy and both know it.

8. There was no TNG after All Good Things ( see also point 6 ).

9. Q was assigned the Human Dossier after V'Ger's ascent ( thanks to someone on this board for that idea! )

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  20. Shawnster

The Q can time travel. Therefore the TNG episode "True Q" takes place after the events of VOY "Q and the Gray" from the point of view of the Continuum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.