What will new Picard show be about?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Groppler Zorn, Aug 9, 2018.

1. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

That red letter media proposal is brilliant. But I guess we'll just get a dumb action story along the lines of....the Borg are BACK! Who can we call upon in this dark time to defend the Federation! JLP of course...

2. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kelly Marie Tran disagrees.

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/05/star...rie-tran-quits-social-media-after-harassment/

As for the other stuff, the fact that it is not new matters. You have 'fans' of Star Trek saying that do not like Discovery because of X, Y, & Z. But they were fans of other Star Trek shows that all had X, Y, & Z. Ergo, the reason they do not like the show cannot be X, Y, & Z. It must be something else.

See point #1.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    They LOOKED like Children's Pajamas. Plus WTF was the 'Belt Buckle" actually there for? The damn thing was a one piece jumpsuit. (And yes, a Cup in a certain area would have been greatly appreciated here too.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Groppler Zorn

Groppler Zorn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Palpatine: good... goooood...!

But seriously - I wouldn’t want the full TNG cast to return at this point. I guess they’ll show up occasionally but a full TNG reunion couldn’t possibly live up to our collective expectations so I think it’s best that they not do that.

6. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Your hate has made you powerful...

Perhaps over time some members from the crew could visit and then stay?

Groppler Zorn likes this.
  7. Groppler Zorn

Groppler Zorn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Over time - like when the show has established itself - I’d be happy with that if it was done in an organic way. It’s like I said though - a full TNG reunion would have such high expectations it would immediately disappoint everyone. Like all Star Wars films that followed RoTJ or the Doctor Who 50th episode. They were expected to be so epic and awesome (because we’ve romanticised them and elements of the originals were really good) that the following instalments couldn’t ever live up to what we expected them to be.

Except The Phantom Menace. That was amazing.

8. JesterFace

:bolian: Yousa like Jar Jar? :techman:

9. JesterFace

Being better than the nostalgic value of past classics is a near impossible mission.
    Whether it's TV series, movies or music... etc.

:bolian::techman: Yuusa like Jar Jar? :techman::bolian:

10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sidebar-

Amazingly enough, I now find The Phantom Menace to be the only tolerable prequel movie. Maybe it's the passage of time...but it was much better than the other two films in terms of how much I enjoy it.

11. JesterFace

Does anyone share my thoughts on this new series?

While there are hopes it can be really good, another part of me is afraid it will be weak.
    Or atleast way too different from TNG. It will be different of course but if it's something completely different...

Spirit of 73 likes this.
  12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm counting on it being completely different. It's 25 years later and we have 7 seasons and 4 films worth of TNG. It's only worthwhile if it is sufficiently different.

Greg Cox likes this.
  13. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've pretty much always considered it such. Liam Neeson was by far the best thing about any of the prequels and Darth Maul - if only by virtue of never ruining a good thing by opening his mouth - the most fun villain. Plus, no matter how much people hate on the annoying little kid trope, this little kid was far less annoying than Hayden Christiansen in the following movies. And Natalie Portman actually had a decent role, as well.

Vger23 likes this.
  14. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG crew already achieved this by surpassing TOS nostalgia to become as successful as it was imo

Having Picard without any of the crew or atleast significantly mentioning them will be very weird

picardjean-luc likes this.
  15. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    Those uniforms still looked more in line with Star Trek than TWOK's bottled up dress uniform. I'm convinced the only reason fans loved the look was because of the success of the film, but those outfits are simply not practical for extended missions.

Armus likes this.
  16. Uhura's Song

I have never been in favor of a full on TNG reunion. The series should not be an extended version of All Good Things.

However, I would be disappointed if we do not get some appearances from TNG crew, or at least references to what happened to them. Especially those who were most integral to Picard: Guinan & Crusher.

picardjean-luc and Armus like this.
  17. Graham

Graham Commander Red Shirt

Then Kelly Marie Tran is wrong.

Your premise is unsound to the point of dishonesty.

18. Uhura's Song

Welcome to my ignore list.

Graham likes this.
  19. Spirit of 73

Spirit of 73 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm right with you. I haven't seen any ST:D episodes and don't have any plans on doing so. They immediately reeked of the JJ Abrahms Star Trek which I do not consider Star Trek.

I don't think they even have the capability to make a good Star Trek show right now. There's no patience anymore, but there is an over reliance on certain aspects of storytelling while completely forgetting others. The JJA Star Trek movies were emblematic of that.

I also am turned off by the idea of a Picard-centric series. I think he got his great send off in All Good Things and I think we should just forget the movies happened and leave him alone. Bringing him back is a bit like Michael Jordan coming back three years after making his last, clutch shot to win the championship. How anti-climactic was that?

I'd love to have another Star Trek series to love, but I just don't think I'm going to get it. I want to it look like it belongs with Voyager, DS9 and TNG, or else it ain't Star Trek, and I doubt that's going to happen. I love episodes like The Best of Both Worlds and Q Who, but I also love The Offspring and The Drumhead. Can you see the modern day Trek storytellers actually turning out an episode like The Drumhead? I can't. I love the Twilight Zone Star Trek episodes, like Cause and Effect, Parallels and Remember Me. Do you see that happening in 2019? Cuz I don't.

I'll probably be there when it premiers, but I can see myself turning it off within ten minutes if it starts annoying me.

20. Graham

Thanks, appreciate it.

21. Graham

Oh, it could easily be done. The issue is that they don't want to make a good Star Trek show right now. Probably they never will again. I can only imagine that they've decided that Star Trek is old fashioned and needs a new generation of fans.

I dunno. I got fooled twice with Discovery. Once in hopes that it would be at least vaguely watchable even though all the pre-show publicity made it look horrible. Then again when people kept telling me over and over that it turned good once they went to the Mirror universe.

Picard is certainly a draw, but honestly I have no faith at all that this show will be any good, and I don't really want to go through a disappointment of that size yet again. At this point, I'm 50/50 on whether to give it a go or not. I suppose the trailers will tell the tale when they appear.

Spirit of 73 likes this.
  22. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

Oh they can make a good Trek series, but I think it's a combination of the current trends in television today, which is it must be edgy/dangerous/cynical, combined with who they put in charge of the project, and what their talent and taste and sensibilities are.

Trek is notorious for being difficult to write for. Jeri Taylor talked about how she tried to get seasoned and experienced writers to try Trek, only to have them fail - and not due to a lack of talent or ability to write well.

Spirit of 73 and picardjean-luc like this.
  23. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...about an hour long.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  24. Spirit of 73

Spirit of 73 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm with you. But Captain Jean-Luc Picard is probably my favorite science fiction character of all time in any medium. I know that when the time comes, I'm going to be there.

publiusr and bigglesworth like this.