What to do with collection of VHS Trek tapes??

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kevin G. Chapman, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Neelix02

Neelix02 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I bet there are a lot of Star Trek Trailer within the commerical breaks on these tapes. That's something I'd like to watch. ;)

2. Kevin G. Chapman

Kevin G. Chapman Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yes, lots of trailers for upcoming DS-9 episodes on the TNG tapes and vice versa. Also some Voyager promos from the old UPN network.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The worst thing about old VHS tapes is that there's no way to recycle them. I looked for ways to recycle them, before I finally threw my hands up and just threw them out. I mostly had blank tapes that I recorded on, so that wasn't something I could really give to the Salvation Army. And, at the time, in 2006, everyone had old VHS tapes. So there wasn't the interest and demand in old commercials that there would be now.

The commercials are probably the biggest reasons to keep the tapes. With the few tapes I didn't throw out, they have a ton of '90s commercials. Several of them are on YouTube, but probably not all of them.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Butters and Tomalak like this.
  4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The remastered TOS episodes are actually not a blu-ray only product. They were released on DVD some time back, as completely separate sets from the non-remastered episode season sets. On blu-ray, you get both together.

Kor

Lance likes this.
  5. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It's very, very unlikely anyone will want them. There is a niche group of enthusiasts who enjoy watching old commercials and TV channel idents, but you'd probably be hard pressed to find someone willing to take them.

As @Lord Garth says it's not even possible to recycle them. They're good for landfill only sadly.

Lance and Qonundrum like this.
  6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Landfill unfortunately. Or build a fort. They're like legos only bigger.

7. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’d love to see these with the adverts, mostly the adverts in fact. I can’t take them though. I have no vhs player, and if I did, it would be the U.K. pal version, so not compatible, and I shudder to think what the shipping would cost.

All of my VHS went the same way as all my Betamax, to landfill. The TV recordings and the pre recorded ones. I just couldn’t justify the space they took.

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

1. Coasters - keep those nasty moisture rings off your furniture.
    2. Skeet-shooting targets.
    3. Insulation - help keep those power bills reasonable this winter

Qonundrum and Guy Gardener like this.
  9. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

^^insulation is great! Might even work as replacement kitchen or bathroom tile, though you're reducing an inch of vertical space from the room but everyone here: raise your hands if you like touching the ceiling.

:D

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Save them for the arciologists of the future to find.

Lance likes this.
  11. Kevin G. Chapman

Kevin G. Chapman Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I did burn a few onto DVDs if anyone is dying to see one. One disk cheap to ship.

12. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you ever going someplace on a airplane you should bring some along. They will come in handy in building you a raft if your plane goes down and you find yourself on a deserted island.

Jason

13. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, my suggestion was to rip all of the commercials to Youtube and make a vintage commercial channel of some sort, or donate to an existing one.

my old tapes of cartoons from the 80s are still in a box somewhere, not for the shows (which i have torrented in their entire-ties) but for the vintage commercials.

14. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Take them apart, put the little screws in a jar, throw away the rest.

You need to have many jars full of mis-matched screws, bolts and nuts (according to my grandfather).

Sisko_is_my_captain likes this.
  15. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that I've finally gotten around to looking things up on B&N, I'm confused.

I see ST:TOS/RM season sets in Blu-ray, UPC 0097361424149 for the first season, in a box with a command insignia on an abstract background, for $29.03. And I see them in DVD, UPC 0097361311944 for the first season, in a box with a picture of the crew and ship on it, evidently enclosed in a fancy plastic box (but not shown on the first season set), for $53.87. And then I see them in DVD, in a box that looks like a closeup of a uniform tunic, for $24.06. And oh, yes, I also see a complete series set in DVD, in a silver box, for $76.59, and in Blu-ray for what would be $84.99, if B&N still had any.

What am I looking at?

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The blu-ray has both the enhanced aka "remastered" versions and the original versions of the episodes. When you play an episode on the disc, you can select which version you want to watch.

This edition includes the obsolete HD-DVD format, which lost out to blu-ray in the format wars some time back. They only did the first season this way. I would leave this one alone.
    The season sets that look like the uniform tunics, and the silver complete series set, appear to have the enhanced/remastered versions of the episodes. And the complete series on blu-ray would have both the remastered and original versions.

Kor

17. Neelix02

Neelix02 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I never knew commercials were so intrusive during the broadcast of Voyager. No matter how exciting the beginning of an episode is, this puts you back into reality.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

You could build a new wing to your house.

This one inspired by what Pee Wee did with all his fruitcakes in the Christmas special.

19. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I keep my collection of Star Trek and James Bond VHS tapes in watertight plastic bins safely in my garage.

20. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember anything quite like that. Possibly something the local station did. Maybe without official sanction.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018