What kind of Trekkie are you?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by bbjeg, Jan 17, 2014.

?

What kind of Trekkie are you?

1. A) I'm a Star Trek Nerd - "I've read the manuals, the encyclopedia, their specifications, I know how

3.9%
  2. B) I'm a Star Trek Geek - "I've seen all the episodes (of that series), do you remember when..."

33.1%
  3. C) I'm a lovable Star Trek Dork - "I collect figures, outfits, trinkets, you name it, I got it."

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A and B - "I'm deeply committed to the mythos, not much on the paraphernalia."

34.3%
  5. A and C - "I put more time in everything else (books, games, or collectables) than the show."

2.2%
  6. B and C - "I've seen all of that series and I'm a collector. I don't know the specifications."

10.1%
  7. A, B, and C - "I'm a hardcore Trekkie."

16.3%
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It means nothing, and the majority of fans do not care, contrary to your claims.

2. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ah, someone who speaks for Star Trek fandom today, and ignoring the link, and probably lots of links from lots of fans. Don't bother with the historic evidence of that phenomena.

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dude. You gotta let your freak flag fly.:borg:

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's total bs, no one gives a shit about trekker vs trekkie. It's exactly the sort of thing non-fan articles like to blow up, it's Onion material that is used by non-fans to mock fandom.

Tesophius likes this.
  5. Robbiesan

"In the 1991 TV show Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Special, Leonard Nimoy attempted to settle the issue by stating that the term "Trekker" is the preferred term. During an appearance on Saturday Night Live to promote the 2009 Star Trek film, Nimoy – seeking to assure Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, the "new" Kirk and Spock, that most fans would embrace them – initially referred to "Trekkies" before correcting himself and saying "Trekkers," emphasizing the second syllable, with a "deadpan" delivery throughout that left ambiguous whether this ostensible misstep and correction were indeed accidental or instead intentional and for comic effect.[49] In the documentary Trekkies, Kate Mulgrew stated that Trekkers are the ones "walking with us" while the Trekkies are the ones content to simply sit and watch Star Trek. According to Stewart, the actors dislike being called Trekkies and are careful to distinguish between themselves and the Trekkie audience.[50]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fandom#Trekkie_vs._Trekker

How about them apples? Especially take note of what Kate Mulgrew said.

6. teacake

Well that settles it then, the actors when asked this boring ass question in an interview came up with something that complimented fans so this must be how the fans feel.

Dude you are simply wrong here. In fandom no one gives a shit and the supposed debate is a product of the media, if it ever had traction it was minimal and is long dead. Go to tumblr and look at how young fans of Star Trek identify themselves, they call themselves trekkies for the most part and they are if anything more rabid than the older generation. NO ONE CARES.

7. Robbiesan

Then perhaps you're not as militant a Janeway fan as you identify. And of all people, teacake, now you're saying that what the young fans of the series believe reflects the corpus of Star Trek fans. What?

8. teacake

I'm saying that if the nomenclature was ever an issue it was a small one and it is long dead. And yes young fans reflect the direction Star Trek is going because guess what they will still be here when I am dead and because of them Star Trek will still be here.

As to Janeway, she told me for reals that she doesn't care what I call myself. This was pillow talk though, so don't quote her.

9. Robbiesan

https://www.roddenberry.com/index.php/communityblogs/index/detail/id/168
    http://www.science-fiction-corner.com/trekker-vs-trekkie.htm
    http://startrekspace.blogspot.com/2008/05/trekkie-or-trekker.html

All non-Onion type references from serious science fiction fans inclusive of Star Trek versus a spurious pillow talk anecdote.

Whoyagonna believe? The actors? The sources? The history?

Or a few fans participating on one topic on one forum?

A brief check on this subject result in overwhelming evidence to the contrary of your personal belief.

10. teacake

Are you SERIOUSLY denigrating my pillow talk with Janeway?!

Because that is totally uncool.

As I said if it was ever and issue it is now totally dead. If you want to appeal to the past help yourself, but time doesn't stand still.

11. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, AgentCoop ... I don't know, man. I like getting laid and stuff.

12. Robbiesan

The links are recent ones, hardly old. It would have been simple to post 10-20 more.

I think what happened was similar to what some homosexuals did with pejoratives. They made magazines or organizations that intentionally used the term. Likewise, though my generation fought hard to eliminate pejoratives about African-Americans, others like Richard Pryor desensitized those kinds of words by repeatingly using them. So much that every gangsta rap song features that word.

That's why I prefaced my statement with this is absurd to some. However, I'm getting the impression that I've stumbled upon a Trekkie bastion.

13. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
  14. BobtheGunslinge

BobtheGunslinge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Honestly, I think enjoying reading James Joyce makes one more [whatever you want to call it--unusual? Obscure? Niche? Hopeless?] than any Trekkie. The only reason there isn't a massive stigma against Joyce like there is for Star Trek is because most hobbytypicals haven't had to read Finnegan's Wake. There certainly are less Joyce fans out there to annoy them.

15. teacake

You should definitely join tumblr, you would like totes own the oppression olympics.

16. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll assume this is facetious, since you've been here for long enough to know that many of us have successfully procreated. I personally haven't had any problem "getting laid and stuff" in the last 22 years. :p

17. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

... you go, boy! :techman:

18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Seriously does anyone call themselves a Trekker?

Aside from Nimoy of course. :lol:

19. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the episodes and movies I like, I don't like the ones I don't. From all of the series and movies. TNG being my favorite.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think that if you take the distinction between "Trekkie" and "Trekker' seriously you're already the sort of fan you're insisting you're not. :)

Honestly, try explaining to anyone--in all seriousness--that, "No, I'm not a Trekkie, I'm a Trekker, because you see . . . ."

Eyes will roll.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014