Spoilers What If...? discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think the only reason that particular timeline was considered "sacred" by Kang/He Who Remains was because it was "his" timeline, the one that he originated from.

I did wonder about the year for a few minutes because if he had Hela's headdress, my first thought was that was it would place it after Thor Ragnarok. But, if The Collector killed Odin at the same time he acquired Mjolner, that would have facilitated Hela's release.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was really good. Not just as an alternate take on how the MCU developed, but even as its own story it was really awesome and fun. It might sound far-fetched on paper, but this episode really sells the idea that T'Challa becoming Star Lord and turning the Ravagers into a force for good as plausible and believable. Very impressed with this one.
    Actually, I think it's three other episodes, but, yeah, I'm pretty sure they're different iterations of T'Challa. I think the producers did talk to Chadwick Boseman about a sequel to the Star Lord story in season 2, which sadly likely won't be happening now (the sequel, that is).

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes, that's what I meant -- he was arbitrarily fixated on preserving his own timeline rather than favoring the best timeline.

Heck, that's the same trope I used in Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations -- Watching the Clock a decade ago (wow, it's been that long?). The reason the future temporal agencies didn't stop the disasters that happened in the 24th century was because they were necessary to bring about the timeline in which those agencies existed (although it was a bit more altruistic, because the alternative was a totally Borgified galaxy).

Well, they recast Steve Rogers last week. There might be a bit less resistance to recasting T'Challa in animation than in live action. (Off the top of my head, I bet Phil LaMarr could do a pretty good impression of Boseman's T'Challa.)

By the way, I think Korath being a T'Challa fanboy is an inside joke, since Djimon Hounsou played T'Challa in a 2010 Black Panther motion comic.

4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless they recast him. I'd be less opposed to them doing that for animated content than a live-action Black Panther film.

Overall, that was an amazing episode. So many things to digest. Outstanding performances all around. I have to admit though that I had no idea that Benicio Del Toro reprised his role as the Collector. To me he sounded nothing like he did in the movies. Nice tag at the end with Ego and Peter. This is getting good!!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Commander Troi likes this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Oh, yes, I meant to mention this in my review. I loved seeing Cap's shield, Mjolnir, and Hela's headdress popping up in The Collector's archive. My initial thought aligns with both of your postulations that the power vacuum left behind by Thanos allowed The Collector to move around more freely and be more aggressive with his collecting. After all, that's his whole thing. I don't think he cares so much about being a galactic kingpin but that position allowed him to collect whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. I suspect the only reason The Collector didn't attack Earth or Asgard in our universe for those trinkets was because he was focused on getting the Infinity Stones for Thanos (and the Asgardians so kindly delivered one of them to him!).

Yup, it was reported a few weeks ago that he recorded for four episodes, although I suspect this will be the only one where he's the main focus.

I think you're vastly misreading the room. There will be a lot of resistance to recasting T'Challa on this show, especially since Boseman's presence will be so large in the first season.

Yes, they recast Steve but that's because Chris Evans was ready to move on. Boseman's passing was a tragic lost that is still felt deeply by many people a year later. There's no way the show will recast T'Challa anytime soon.

Perhaps, but clearly the more obvious and deliberate joke is how Korath didn't know who Star-Lord was and this is the opposite of that relationship.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did Wakanda really help anyone outside of themselves?

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As you say, it's obvious. The things worth commenting on are the things that aren't obvious.

Sorry, I phrased it poorly. I see now how "solved the scarcity and poverty problems of the rest of the world" can be misconstrued. What I meant to say is that the Wakandans solved the kind of scarcity problems that plague the rest of the world. And while they historically hadn't shared those solutions with others, it's in character that T'Challa would share them.

DonIago and Commander Troi like this.
  8. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, the earlier T'Challa meets Thanos the easier it gets to convince him otherwise. And it seems it was quite a few years ago, given the condition Nebula is in. Do we know when Thanos came up with the Infinity Stone plan? If it's before that (i.e. he still thinks he has to fight every planet individually) then changing his mind could be a snap.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I really feel like this should have been the first episode. The Captain Carter one was fun but this one blew it out of the water.

SolarisOne and Thestral like this.
  10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That was a fun episode. Amazing that they got so many of the original actors to reprise even short roles but above all it was lovely to hear Boseman as T’Challa again.

11. The Nth Doctor

I see what you did there. :lol:

And I agree 100%.

Commander Troi and Thestral like this.
  12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the Thanos stuff wasn't needed but it was a good episode especially given that going in this one didn't interest me at all. I quickly didn't even think about it being animated a short way in. It did somehow make it odder though when Dairy Queen made an appearance.

13. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

That was fun, it was wonderful that we were able to get some more of Boseman as T’Challa and in such an upbeat heist story that even Thanos is one of the good guys.

14. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Think Carrie Coon might have had more lines here than Infinity War and Endgame combined (and it was still only about five lines.)

15. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, I thought the same thing...and she was more clearly Carrie Coon in this episode (which is a good thing in my book!).

16. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why the hell wasn't that the first episode, it was so much better?

And looking at the cast list I see that Chris Pratt was the only person not voicing his character. Truly he is the Worst Chris.

SolarisOne and Starkers like this.
  17. Skywalker

They also might not have bothered to ask Pratt to voice one miniscule line. Then again, they brought in Danai Gurira for one line, so who knows.

Maybe Okoye will appear later in the season, while Quill might not reappear until the sequel to this episode next season? If that's the case it would make sense to me that they didn't get Pratt.

Thestral likes this.
  18. StCoop

Kurt Russell turned up for one line. And that's why he's Kurt Russell.

19. Skywalker

Fair point. It's also possible that Russell might be back in another episode this season, though.

Obviously I don't know, I'm just speculating. Dave Bautista didn't return as Drax either. None of us really know the reasons behind why not everyone came back (except for Evans, I think).

20. StCoop

You're right, I missed that one. But in his case he has said that he wasn't there because he wasn't asked.