Spoilers What If...? discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Aug 4, 2021.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Just caught up myself.

It was fun enough, but I share the concerns expressed by other posters that the plot was kind of straight up when the multiverse concept and the infinity stones really laid the groundwork for all kinds of crazy events. The latter I can at least rationalize as Ultron doesn't know/care enough about the stones, or just lacks the creativity to use them to their full potential.

I had vague thoughts that we might be looking at an Endgame-style ending with different versions of the heroes and/or Ultron, but, as I said, what we got was something pretty by-the-numbers. Not bad, just...alright. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the somewhat deus ex machina ending either.

I did enjoy Killmonger's sudden-yet-inevitable betrayal, even if it was entirely unsurprising in the broad strokes that he would do so. I wonder whether Uatu saw that coming, and whether he might have even hoped that Killmonger would, in the end, choose differently.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone got withdrawal symptoms already?
    When is Hawkeye due again?

Commander Troi and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

End of nov, iirc.

Timelord Victorious likes this.
  4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL.. Yeah. I was just thinking that this morning. Most of my "must see" shows are done for the season now. Now that I'm through with Squid Game, What If, and Titans, I'm trying to figure out what to watch now.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I've been going with Leverage: Redemption.

6. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll take a look!

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Surprisingly, there's no new episode of Marvel: Assembled today even though it's a week after the finale. I hope they made an episode for this show and it was just pushed back so it wouldn't conflict with Black Widow's episode that's probably coming out on Friday. Although that explanation doesn't even make sense considering there's no reason they can't release two episodes in the same week on a streaming service.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So I'm not the only one that looked. Seems like it could be an entertaining one too.

9. The Nth Doctor

10. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

How is it?

11. Turtletrekker

I'm enjoying it so far. The team isn't quite the same as in the original show, but they have the same dynamic and chemestry. I always loved a good caper. The show, both the original and the Revival, has always been chock-full of nerdy references to Star Trek and Doctor Who. In fact, the revival has a guest appearance from LeVar Burton...

...whose character didn't know what "TNG" stood for. :guffaw:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And who loved recommending good books to children. (And you could say the plot had him going back to his career roots, but that would be stretching for a pun. But then, how else am I going to get my exercise?)

The same episode pointed the camera at Noah Wyle's character while the rest of the team was scoffing at the idea of a heroic librarian. A later episode had Wyle's character impersonate a doctor, and I think a namesake of his E.R. character was paged when he first arrived at the hospital. So yeah, they enjoy their in-jokes.

Commander Troi and Turtletrekker like this.
  13. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Excellent!

Turtletrekker likes this.
  14. Turtletrekker

The Marvel Studios Assembled episode is up.

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finally got around to watching the last few episodes of "What if...?"
    I suppose it was inevitable that all those disparate scenarios would come together in the end, although I was hoping it would be a pure anthology show.
    So does this mean we can have more MCU movies with Black Widow as a "present day" character? Or that she could potentially show up in the Hawkeye series?

Kor

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which was okay, but shorter than the others, less than 40 minutes, and not as in-depth as I would've hoped. I'm disappointed that they didn't talk to any of the actors except Jeffrey Wright. It would've been nice if they'd given some acknowledgment to Lake Bell, Mick Wingert, and the others who took over the roles of the non-returning film actors.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really disappointing not seeing some behind the scenes with the voice actors.

Does Jeffrey Wright act or does he just get paid to talk? Like it sounds like he could just read his grocery list and it would sound awesome.

18. The Nth Doctor

Oops, I meant to watch this earlier and completely forgot. Also forgot about the episode for Black Widow but I was pretty busy last week...

Even though this episode is on the shorter side, I really enjoyed how it focused on what made this series unique: Developing its own visual, animated style and exploring the vast range of potential stories. Unsurprisingly, Assembled focused particularly on the richest stories, i.e. Captain Carter, Star-T'Challa, and Dark Strange, especially taking a few minutes to pay tribute to Chadwick Boseman (and then the tears returned yet again...:wah:). I also loved Jeffrey Wright's insight about Marvel fans how they have their own vision and stories that play out in their own mind, which What If...? could potentially tap into.

Even though it was heavily rumored, I'm glad they confirmed that we definitely will be seeing Captain Carter again next season.

That all said, my favorite moment of the episode was learning that Karen Gillan improvised the nickname "Cha-Cha." :D

19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That Black Widow I think was dropped off in the world were Hank Pym killed most of The Avengers and Loki took over Earth

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm listening to the Audible of the Sandman. I chuckle at the fact he plays Destiny.