What happened after Voyager returned home?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JanewayRulz!, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

There is some consistency between Before and After and Fury. We saw in Before and After that her memory was completely gone. Based on her daughter's comments this is a normal occurrence for elderly ocampans. So since kes was approaching the end of her life in Fury it makes some sense that her memories were beginning to degrade which led to her wanting revenge on Voyager. I think it would be more interesting not to prolong her life as that makes her more unique. We have seen many species that live for hundreds of years before but we've never seen someone who lives for a short time. Exploring her whole life can have potential for great drama and character exploration.

2. Sophie74656

I don't think he would either. There's nothing in it for him. Also Q are supposed to keep the order in the universe. Extending someone's natural life would be messing with that

3. Nats

Nats Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have to admit that I have not seen cold fire in a very long time.

I didn't like Fury, I thought it was a horrible ep, but unfortunately, it's still canon. I have no problem with Kes living a long time, just not in her current state. If she was healthy, that would be a different story.

Would you want to live for years with no memory, unable to care for yourself, ext? I wouldn't. I really don't understand humanity's obbession with keeping people alive, when they are suffering so badly. Prolonging life, at the expense of mental health, is not a life.

Q could take an interest in Kes, but I still think that it would be unlikely.

4. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

There is no consistency at all between "Cold Fire" and the insulting crap episode. Not at all.

Kes's daughter never actually existed, at least not in the "normal" universe, therefore her possible comments are irrelevant. Or do you really support that Kes and Tom Paris were married and had a daughter! :D

I see nothing unique with such a lifespan, I find it highly unrealistic. A species with such a short lifespan would never develope into anything else than primates.

I see nothing which would stop Q from extending anyone's lifespan. he had no problems with making Riker omnipotent or simply delete Quark when Quark interfered in a conversation between Q and Vash in DS9 (although Vash told Q to bring Quark back, which he did). Q could easily extend Kes's lifespan just out of some whim.

And if not, Suspiria could!
    The point is that Kes became an energy being when she was 3 years old. Since becoming an energy being is the Ocampa afterlife, Kes wouldn't have aged at all. So when she returns to corporeal form she would still be 3 Ocampa years old and prolonging her lifespan from that is no problem.

The pathetic creature we saw in that horrible excuse for a Star Trek Voyager episode wasn't the real Kes. It was Suspiria in disguise or mor elikely some evil alien entity created by some real evil demons.

As for the "canon" created by the same evil demons, I just have three words to say: "F*** their canon!"
    And the same for that crap episode. It should be wiped out from all upcoming DVD:s as well. If they do that, I promise to buy season 6 of Voyager on DVD.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  5. Sophie74656

In an alternate timeline Tom and Kes did get married and have a child.

There is absolutely nothing to support the though that energy beings don't age. Since we saw on screen that she did age, the canon fact is that in the state she was in she did continue to age. Your own dislike of that idea doesn't negate the on screen canon fact.
    Personally I think you're missing out on a lot of great episodes simply because Kes isn't in them.

6. Sophie74656

I agree. I think it would be extremely unlikely that Q would do anything for Kes. In TNG he offered Riker the powers of Q but everything he did in TNG was a test to see how they would respond

7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

There's more logic in supposing that energy beings dont age since that state is the Ocampan afterlife than it is in the theory of Ocampans as "energy vampires".

And in the "String Theory" books it's revealed that the creature which could be seen in that insulting crap episode wasn't the real Kes. That's my canon and I do find it more believable than "canon" which states that the events in "Investigations" happened before the events in the episode "Lifesigns" (check the stardates!). :)

As for missing episodes, I can live with that. However, it's not impossible that I will buy season 4-7 on DVD in some near future.

But there's one episode I will never watch, not even at gunpoint.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  8. Sophie74656

It's all just assumptions since energy beings don't actually exist. There's no canon support that she was in an afterlife either. Since she was seen on screen as looking older clearly she did age. Perhaps the boost she gave Voyager in The Gift drained something from her and took some of her life force and that's why she looked older.

9. Nats

The caretaker was an energy being, and he grew old and died also.

Sophie74656 likes this.
  10. Nats

Even if that's not Kes in Fury, (and I'm not convinced that it is Kes), it's still canon. You can't deny that. You can hate it, despise it, even wish it was different, but you can't deny a proven fact.

Sophie74656 likes this.
  11. Nats

That's a good theory, it's very possible that using all the energy on Voyager, drained something or messed with something important to her.

12. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone raised the incongruity about Kes' hair. Why had she returned to short haired Kes in Fury as her older self?

I have to admit Fury relied on Kes holding onto a grudge that wasn't there. I mean she left Voyager a gift in The Gift. She was too unsure of her powers to stay but it was sacrifice she chose.

That Ocampa who said his father had reached 20, he himself said he was 14. He looked, human standard, as a thirty year old would.

As for imagining a life for Kes after Voyager returned.. given her temporal travels etc. it probably isn't impossible..

13. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How could it not be Kes in Fury?

If Kes had stayed the whole seven years, they would've had to start aging her, even in season 4. By season 5, she would have to look janeway's age. If they didn't, any explanations would come off as contrived and even more people would be complaining that Voyager disregarded what it had established in Season 1.

14. Nats

That's a very good point, I didn't think of that, :).

15. Sophie74656

Exactly. By the end of season 4 she would look in her 40s, 50s by the end of season 5, and so on. What would be the point of establishing things about the species if you just change it later? The shorter lifespan is much more interesting and unique in my opinion

16. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

How come a 14 year old Ocampa looked younger than Kes in Fury?

I don't know. I get that she had to age, there is no shame in that. However, there are plenty of ways one could have had Kes re-invented to show up in the post Voyager years. I wouldn't have minded really knowing what became of her.

17. Sophie74656

It depends on what relative age he was. If he was 14 out of let's say potentially 30years then he should look middle aged if we're using human scale. Where kes was 6 out of 9 years so her relative age was greater

18. Nats

I would to have seen her in the post voyager. Actually, I wish that they had done another season, I would have liked to see how everyone adapted to being back on earth
    I would have liked to have seen her post voyager also.

19. Sophie74656

I would have loved some canon stuff post voyager ;)
    As for Kes it sounds nice that she used her powers to go back to her home planet and help them

20. Nats

:), mabye we should start a petition to get them to do a reunion ep.