What episode hooked you?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Admiral Jean-Luc Picard, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, so there one more reason to like DS9.

2. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Up and down throughout the season. Then the finale nailed it. The first time that I really laughed was a few episodes in when that guy ascends and gets burnt by the universe.

They kept having Mariner be Mariner, which dragged the show down quite a bit. Fortunately they toned her down in the last episode. And they brought back Badgey!

3. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

I was onboard from the first episode. I was wary going in from just the trailer alone, I didn't care for the Rick and Morty style for all the characters. But then I saw it, and found the animation to be a helluva lot better. (I would still love to see Doc Hammer and Jackson Publik do an animated Trek) Also I realized that although it has Kurtzman's name on it, It is not a Kurtzman show.

Bornin1980something likes this.
  4. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The one with "the Farm."

5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The Wrath of Khan episode, if any.

6. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

"Envoys". That moment at the very end with Tendi and Ruthford in the Jeffries tube. She was marveling at a live image of a pulsar while he was marveling at finishing his work on ship's systems, and they're both happy where they're at. That moment really spoke to me.

7. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

Well... Cupid´s Errant Arrow.

8. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I think that sort of happened in Episode 10. Mariner was sure going nuts anyway... you don't threaten to feed someone to an Armus unless you're REALLY pissed off at them.

Also, regarding Charlie Brown...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The finale was the first time I really got to the edge of my seat in excitement. Other than that there wasn't anything I was hooked by.

10. RPOW0614

RPOW0614 Commander Red Shirt

Opening scene where Mariner finds Bardward making a log entry. Then, drunk on Romulan Ale, she attacks Bardward with a Bat'leth from her cart of illegal future stuff.

Biggest laugh so far was Tendi's "dog".
    When it turned into a metallic cube and started rolling across the floor I lost it.

Peanut Hamper was funny too.

ScottJ85 likes this.
  11. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

The moment Tendi’s “dog” transforms into an metallic cube and clanks down the corridor.

I see that you, too, are an man of fine taste.

XelosTi and RPOW0614 like this.
  12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Episode 8 absolutely hooked me. The various trials skits and shenanigans actually made me laugh out loud, and by the end I was hooked. I'd like bits and pieces in a few episodes, outside of the rough first 2-3 episodes, but episode 8 is what made me really like the show.

13. Thanos007

Thanos007 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The trailer. The series far exceeded my expectations and they were highish to begin with.

14. Anduinel

Anduinel Captain Captain

Episode 1 - adored it. I wish a few more of the early episodes had used the "Senior crew has classic A-Plot Trek material, Lower Decks deals with background chaos" format. But the big hook was that the show was clearly written by folks who knew and loved the material.

Cap'n Calhoun likes this.
  15. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting way to look at it. I will give my best shot at when I was "hooked."

TOS: Did not watch in first run. So I watched in re-runs, which were not in order all the time. I must have got the end of SI and the start of S2 in close succession, because I can distinctly remember "City on the Edge of Forever" and then "Amok Time" shortly thereafter.

TAS: Never hooked. Never watched until recently. "Yesteryear" and "The Lorelei Signal" are my faves. Unoriginally so.

TNG. S2 early. "Measure of a Man." Watched these as they aired pretty religiously.

DS9: Watched some of S1 as it aired, then lost interest. Not hooked until rewatched it in order. Late S1 got me. Around "The Forsaken" I got close. "Duet" sealed the deal.

VOY. I liked Voyager from jump. In fact, other than TOS, it could be my favorite S1. Liked "Caretaker" a lot. But I will go with "Emanations." Mid S1. I know, I'm weird. This show lost steam late on for me.

ENT: S1, "The Andorian Incident." While there were struggles early, this one convinced me I was in. If not here, S2's "Carbon Creek."

DISCO. Am going with "Into the Forest I Go." Though it could have been earlier, "Context is For Kings." I do wax & wane with this show. Liked the first halves of the seasons way better. The show nearly lost me at the end of S2. "Forget Me Not" reeled me back in.

Picard. You had me at hello.

Lower Decks. "Moist Vessel."

16. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

That scene where the ship legs it after one shot from the Borg cube cracked me up.

Something about the way the ship moves like you can almost hear it say "f*** this"

17. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Even earlier for me: When they heroically fly in... ...and hit that spike, damage their nacelle, and flop out of the picture. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

18. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

When I first watched Ep 1, I hated the show. Mariner annoyed the living hell out of me. Since I was doing a 30 day free trial, I decided to go ahead and watch the rest of it. About 3 episodes in, I finally started to like it.

In what I like to call the Sheldon Affect, the character that annoyed me the most and made my turn the tv off and stop watching is now my favorite character. I'm Team Mariner now.

19. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

In Envoys, when we discover Mariner set up the Ferengi encounter, just to give Boimler a confidence boost. I thought, "That is such a Sheriff Taylor thing to do." We find that Mariner does care for her shipmates.

20. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right from the start.

I thought the show got a little lost along the way with episodes 3 and 4 because it seemed to stray away from the original premise a bit by featuring the bridge crew quite heavily. I'll attribute that to them trying to find the right balance between both sets of characters, which they seemed to have remedied by the fifth episode. From then on, the show just fired on all cylinders.

Overall, I think LD ended up as the best first season of Trek. I absolutely loved it.

Cap'n Calhoun likes this.