What episode hooked you?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Admiral Jean-Luc Picard, Oct 5, 2020.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

For me, the fifth episode, "Cupid's Errant Arrow," was the first episode that I considered to be an unqualified smash. After that, four of the remaining five were also on that level. Those would be "Terminal Provocations," "Veritas," "Crisis Point," and "No Small Parts."

There is no awful episode of LDS, which is unusual for a Trek series. If I could describe in one word the problem that I had with the first few episodes, it would be that I found them to be too frantic for my taste. Mariner is mania personified. The five that I singled out struck the right balances to tell an intriguing tale thoroughly enjoyably in the half-hour format.

2. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Episode two, "Envoys."

I didn't much care for the first episode, but I know that most pilots are written for the network as "proof of concept" rather than for the audience, per se. So, yeah, I saw "Star Trek: Rick & Morty" on overdrive in the pilot; but I saw enough potential to stick around, believing that they'd tone down the...whatever that was...of it all.

And they did. "Envoys" was solid, and things (mostly) kept getting better. "Cupid's Errant Arrow" and "Moist Vessel" are probably the weakest after the pilot, IMO, but they're certainly not bad.

Even my mom, an original Trekkie from 1966, who really can't stand "bathroom humor" and normally couldn't get through this style of show at all, loved it when I showed her "Envoys" and "No Small Parts."

Underneath all the silliness, Lower Decks has heart, and is Trek to the core. It's some of the most Trekkish Trek that Trek has ever Trekked.

Anduinel, Unimatrix Q and Michael like this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even though I think episode 1 was is the worst so far, it also hooked me.