What DON’T you like about the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Nenya, Aug 25, 2020.

1. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I care about the characters. I didn't need the episodes to be an extra 20 minutes for that to happen (though that would have been nice).

As for the fast dialogue, I think that's just part of the show's aesthetic like many other animated programs these days. I don't have any trouble keeping up.

fireproof78 likes this.
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Because they want to sell these shows into syndication, at some point. So they are going to run in length to what OTA stuff does.

jackoverfull likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really struggle with the assumption that length of time with characters is necessary to care. If that were the case then guest characters should have zero impact.

4. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it’s on a streaming network *now*, but they clearly intend to sell it to more traditional venues in the future.

And don’t get me wrong, I’d love longer episodes, but I get why they’re not likely (actually I’m surprised they’re already this long: just compare them with rebels or resistance).

5. MakeshiftPython

I don't think those Star Wars shows are comparable.

6. jackoverfull

Because they’re aimed at a younger audience?

I quoted those because they’re literally the only animated shows I’ve watched in the last twenty years or more (regretting it with resistance!)) untile LDS cam around.

7. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Subtitles can help

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The intro music. It's fine and very Star Trek, but Lower Decks needs something like the iconic Stargate Infinity theme:

(...finity...finity...finity.. )

9. jackoverfull

they do, but I hate watching stuff with subtitles. If I wanted to read I have plenty of books here.

10. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I turn them on whenever I don't understand something or think I missed a word (when they talk too fast, or all the same time, or I wanna know how a new word is pronounced). You can always turn them off again in calmer scenes XD

11. jackoverfull

That is exactly what I do usually. Since I'm watching this with my girlfriend and her english isn't as good as mine we just keep them on for Lower Decks, though.

12. Muji

Muji Commander Red Shirt

I don't like how many references there are. I like a show to stand on its own two feet rather than rely on fan-service. There is a section of the community that buy into that stuff big time. Some see it as 'real Trek' because of these things. The strange thing, to me at least, is the 'real' Trek they love doesn't do that. It tells its own story. When LDS tells its own story - and it does - then it becomes really decent. I like it a lot when it does this. For me, it has now found its own voice and needs to continue to tell its own story in season 2 rather than act like a meme generator for Star Trek references.

Unicorn likes this.
  13. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

Really supporting all those who would like the humor to be a little less self-aware.

14. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I get the desire for more, but I like the episode length. Better to leave too soon than overstay your welcome, especially with these characters. And many of the gags are better served by a rapid pace than lingering scrutiny.

MakeshiftPython likes this.
  15. MakeshiftPython

That's one factor, but from my understanding the Star Wars shows take themselves relatively more seriously, whereas LOWER DECKS puts a lot more emphasis on self-referential/self-deprecating humor. In a way, TAS would be the equivalent of CLONE WARS, serving as an expansion of the characters established in live action while geared towards a younger audience.

If anything, STAR TREK: PRODIGY will probably be more in line with TAS and those Star Wars animated shows.

Sci likes this.
  16. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Adult animated situation comedies are a very different genre from animated children's adventure shows and I really don't think it makes sense to compare them. You might as well compare, say, Community to The Adventures of Superman for all that they have in common.

MakeshiftPython and Farscape One like this.
  17. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

That the swearing is bleeped.

18. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

Too much fan service.

I knew where the plots were going several eps in ("Here's the transporter malfunction ep ... Here's the ep where the crew is on trial ...")

Unicorn and fireproof78 like this.
  19. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

I don't like the fact that Lower Decks hasn't introduced a 3rd contact party who is brought out from the Jeffries Tubes and Coal Furnace Room of the Cerritos yet.

Danja likes this.
  20. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

The "we're reconsidering your membership in the Federation but we can't just throw you out so maybe if we have these losers make contact you'll quit on your own" party.

Danja and jackoverfull like this.