What are your thoughts about seeing the prime universe again?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by The Rock, Sep 4, 2016.

1. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Why should anyone be discriminated against purely on the basis of their disability?

2. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

So the chair is part of the Kelvin Universe. Riiiiight. You have a really strong case there. :guffaw:

The early renders of the Discovery look NOTHING like the Abramsverse. Like you said, the deflector dish is movie style. As in TMP Enterprise and TSFS Excelsior. As in PRIME Universe.

Janice Lester never implied that 23rd century Starfleet was more sexist than the 20th century, 21st century and the 22nd century. Of course there are women captains in the 2260's.

Again irrelevant. TMP looks nothing like TOS yet they're in the SAME universe.

So those are your all your arguments and evidence?! You've convinced me! "The Prime Universe is dead and buried never to be seen again"! :rofl: :rommie:

jaime likes this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If one doesn't have the tools to do a very physically demanding job, they shouldn't have the job. How's Captain Hawking getting through Jefferies Tubes when the shit hits the fan and his ship has no power? Who is dragging him through out the ship?

Captain, as we've seen, is a physically demanding job.

4. BillJ

Make sure to save this post. We'll see whose right here in a couple of years. Just promise not to cry. :p

5. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Consider how far accessibility has come in the last 30 years. There was a time when those in wheelchairs couldn't go anywhere unassisted (carried). Now imagine that thinking applied to ship design. Not a traditional Jeffries tube but one that is accessible and maybe renamed for the first disabled captain to use it. All other physical duties can be delegated. Maybe not a combat captain, but a science vessel captain.

6. Captain of the USS Averof

If, according to some here, 23rd century Starfleet doesn't allow women to be captains, I'm sure they won't allow persons with disabilities either.

Don't you worry. :bolian: Unlike you I would admit I WAS WRONG and don't try to make up "Kelvin chair" fish stories. :rofl: :guffaw:

7. BillJ

How did he get to be captain? You essentially have a captain that can only do half the job, and only did half the job in getting to the center seat. Would those Jefferies tubes also have ramps instead of ladders between decks?

Could you have a paraplegic captain? Possibly, with the help of technology. Exoskeleton that would give him some use of his legs. A full blown ALS captain? I seriously doubt it.

8. BillJ

But if I'm right, then they aren't exactly fish stories. :techman:

9. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

So you support pragmatism. How radical.

10. BillJ

I support common sense. There's no way someone with advanced ALS would be fit to sit in the captain's chair. Which is what Hawking has.

http://www.alsa.org/about-als/what-is-als.html

11. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

The Prime 23rd is only as enlightened as humanity was in the 1960's. nuPrime will be all-inclusive, meaning only the prejudices that exist these days which are hardly any at all, right? right? :shrug:

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to read through most of this thread because nonsense. But anyone who thinks calling it "prime" is anything more than blatant pandering is seriously deluding himself.

Rincewiend, Amaris and Kemaiku like this.
  13. Captain of the USS Averof

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm down with DiscoVerse. Make it so.

15. Captain of the USS Averof

And you thought disco(verse) was dead! Well, it's back!

16. BillJ

Now all we need is an appearance by Disco Bones.

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

So disabled people can't be captains? I'll remember that when I command a ship. I'll even take you on as a crew member. Hope you like cleaning the bathrooms with your tounge and riding on the outside......

18. BillJ

Everyone seems to be ignoring this post.

19. Captain of the USS Averof

And anyone who thinks that the Prime universe is dead and (outside of novels and comics) will never be seen again is also seriously deluding himself.

20. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jesus! That thread has gone off the rails!

You should never have taunted the nay-sayers that they were wrong! They will NEVER EVER admit they were wrong. Before that they are going to badmouth Discovery and it's creators hard, before the show has even started, and picking questionable lines of dialogue from single episodes to say how much STD will be an abomination against canon, just so they can mingle it in their head as the creators are wrong and it's not quite the prime universe.