What are your controversial Star Trek opinions?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amasov, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

D'oh! Consider me appropriately chastised. :lol:

2. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

So, I watched TMP last Saturday (restored, Director's Cut, of course) and here's my controversial opinion.

It's good. :hugegrin:

I enjoyed it immensely. It's gorgeous and it didn't feel long or padded. I'd forgotten this was where we first heard what would become the TNG theme! They probably could've cut some of the Magical Mystery Tour through V'Ger, but I think they were 1) trying to show the sheer scale and 2) enjoying having a budget.

I'm at work so I don't have the novelization in front of me: does it have why Spock goes for Kohlinor? Yes, it's because he wants to purge those pesky (human) emotions, but was it losing Kirk and The Gang that drove him there? I think so. Trying to stop pain and grief. A very human thing to do!

I'd also forgotten about Spock laughing. What an awesome scene! Laughing at his own absurdity. The realization that Pure Cold Logic is not what he wants. It made me think about the older & wiser Spock who will eventually tell Valeris that logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end, and appreciate Spock's journey all over again.

3. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that you mention it, TNG has the distinction of being the ONLY show in the franchise to not have their own theme.

(I'm including ENTERPRISE, because even though it was a cover of another song, it was never used anywhere else in the franchise. Or anywhere else period, as far as I know.)

4. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TMP made for the big screen. It’s spectacle. They prob should have had an adventure on a SNW and not a ship show (a bottle show as that phrase commonly used). But it was pretty groovy in 79. A film, baby! A MOTION PICTURE, not kiddie fare like some other flick from 77. (Which I highly esteem, let the record show.)

Commander Troi likes this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

TNG had it's own them made, but went unusued for, I don't know why.

6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps they thought the TMP one sounded better.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm very, very, very glad they didn't go with that theme. Not only does it sound bad, it also sounds extremely dated. It barely works for 1987. There's no way it would've flown by the time they got to the '90s. None. Zero.

Not only that but, while I can see it fitting the type of show TNG was in Seasons 1-2, it wouldn't have fit Seasons 3-7.

8. Gul Sengosts

Gul Sengosts Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think liking TMP is that controversial, at least not the director's cut, a lot of people like it, including me. It's flawed (my least favourite thing about it is that imo it's weak on the characters side), but I don't mind at all that it's slow--being someone whose favourite sci-fi film is 2001, mind you. It's certainly the most high concept sci-fi among the Trek movies.

My controversial opinion is that it's more exciting than the Kelvin movies. They just bore me to hell.

comsol and Turtletrekker like this.
  9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I don't mind that alternate theme, the mix on that YouTube recording is a bit tinny, presumably a better recording would have been used for the actual show. It's structured very similarly to the revised TMP theme they went with, I bet everyone would have been fine if it had been used. It just sounds off because we're used to the actual one.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I do prefer the alternate Star Trek IV theme to the alternate TNG one.

11. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That kind of opinion takes real Courage.

12. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This one's a bit more recent:

drt likes this.
  13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We dodged a very generic bullet with that alt theme.

14. Tallguy

But it was awesome when it played in Yesterday's Enterprise. And lots of other places.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dig deep in the controversy. The theatrical cut of TMP is the best Trek film.

16. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

That one does have a better quality recording.

I'm still of the opinion if that had been what they actually used, everyone would have been fine with it. Instead of a curiosity it would be the theme of a beloved TV show and if someone posted the different tempo'd version of the TMP theme they did use we'd think that was odd and unoriginal.

Tallguy likes this.
  17. Tallguy

Defend, please. Specifically against the DE. Either version, I suppose. Although before the 2022 edition most days I'd have agreed with you.

18. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, the unused TNG theme reminds me of THE ORVILLE a bit.

19. Tallguy

Like I said, that theme does get used a lot in McCarthy's TNG episodes. In fact it's the first music you hear in Farpoint after the credits.

As it was, many eyes rolled in September 1987 when the TMP theme came up. We all love Jerry Goldsmith but it was so obviously a cut and paste job (or whatever we would have called it then). We wanted a NEW theme.

Then the GNP record came out and people all said Dennis' original theme sounded too much like Superman. (Deep Space Nine sounds rather like The Planet Krypton. Williams is a god. We get it.)

I am astonished at how people react now when they see TMP. There is always confusion at the main title. "Why is this TNG? Did they go back and put it in? What was here before?" Kind of the same thing with Star Trek V. "Hey! This is KIRK! Why are they using PICARD'S music?!?" Oy.

Commander Troi and drt like this.
  20. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Stealer of all the cookies in time and space Premium Member

Not alone, not alone...... I feel this way like I'm the only soul that really likes TMP