Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Tacopowell

Tacopowell Cadet Newbie

Hello!

Kinda new to Star Trek, although I used to watch the Next Generation while growing up, I wasn't what I'd call a fan but as I've grown older, I've grown an interest in Science and Sci-fi.
    I have a fair amount of spare time at work, and been watching Enterprise, now I've got a taste for the other franchise's, I guess I'll go chronologically, not episodes but seasons,
    Next up Star Trek The Original Series!

2. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Welcome to the forum, Tacopowell! I hope you enjoy your journey into Star Trek obsession. ;)

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Hi.
    I just joined today, the day after I booked my tickets for the next movie.
    I have been a fan of Star Trek longer than you've been alive ;)
    I fancied myself to be quite knowledgeable about Trek until I lurked around the forums and realised I didn't know all that much. That won't stop me from commenting though.:lol:

I'm a big big big TOS fan. Over the years however I have warmed a bit to the other series and the movies.

If I make any faux pas in my posts here please tell me.

4. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

Greetings...

First generation Trekker here... Treknical fan for the most part, with a fixation on continuity and timelines... Grew up collecting and over-analyzing Treknical blueprints and manuals, to sick and demented levels... Taking notes on TOS and TAS episodes, the usual thing... Taped all the episodes, attended the earliest cons, read the old zines... Read all the books, or am in the process of reading all of them... Studied under some of the Greats in the field of Treknology including ____ _____ and have a shrine to _____ ______...and am a member of ____... Been hanging out in online places since the 80s: RIME, Fidonet, Abusenet, whateveryoucallit... Did lots and lots of typing... Fan bickering and a Borg-like conformity drove me away and into seclusion more times than I can count... Came on here because it was recommended to me by _____ _____ among other bizarre reasons...

P.S. I'm 100% single, and if there are any Trekkesses in my sector who'd like to get together sometime...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  5. Ryva Brall

Welcome, Lenny Nurdbol! I hope you enjoy yourself here and HOLY CRAP you've already made Lieutenant-Commander!? I'm slacking off here.

By the way, I'm the illogical girl who disregarded your (probably good) advice not to start watching Enterprise, and went and did it anyway. But I'm having a great time tearing apart the lazy writing and continuity errors. So it's all good. ;)

6. LancerKind

LancerKind Ensign Red Shirt

Greetings humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, and other species which don't abut Federation Space. This is Lancer Kind, back for a visit in a quest for intelligent life willing to discuss Roddenberry Trek vision versus Abrams and wondering if we need a more moderate Peter Jackson vision.

Naturally, I came to TrekBBS as I detect there's a lot of intelligent life here. You'll see some postings about a Trek Purity Test along with a spoiler free pre-movie discussion about Into Darkness.

Check it out and leave comments to advance the discussion. TrekBBS members did awesome when discussing why Trekkies hated the 2009 Trek movie.

You'll see me around the BBS until the Into Darkness fervor dies down.

==>Lancer---

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Your post was just a vehicle to promote your own website which redirects to a webring. This is considered soliciting according to the TrekBBS rules. Hence you received a warning. I removed the links. Please don't do it again. Comments to PM.

8. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

I wrote a post for this thread so cool that I made it my signature instead.

9. Redsskull

Redsskull Ensign Newbie

Hi fellow Trekkies.

Iv'e never been an active member of a forum before, and I never loved a TV show so much before that I felt I had to find some place to share my love with other fans. Star Trek actually did this to me.

My 72 year old father always said TOS was the best show he's ever seen. A few weeks ago I decided to finally see what it's all about, and here I am.

I feel this will be fun, there's a lot of TV for me to see now!

Red.

10. Ryva Brall

Welcome to the forum, Redsskull! Glad to have you here. It's great how Star Trek brings people together, isn't it? :)

11. Redsskull

Redsskull Ensign Newbie

It sure is :-)

You're also a fellow ENT fan(I hope!), so I'm happy.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  12. marsomthing

marsomthing Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello to everyone, nice to FINALLy find a trek site that has current discussions going on!!! My name is Shane marsomthing and been a trek fan for a few years now( trew up watching it with my uncle checking out his "tapes" from his personal library.). I Watch TOS every night before bed, the wife really loves that let me tell you!!!!

Anyways, never been a part of a forum this interesting and I really look forward to hanging out here, and looking forward to the next Star Trek fan level this could take me too...I notice you all know A LOT off stuff and can't wait to hear about it!!!!

Any of you in the lower South Carolina savannah area always looking for meetups also!!!

13. EATERoftheDEAD

EATERoftheDEAD Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello everyone! I have been a rabid Star trek fan since I was quite young. I saw the Original Series in syndication in the late 80s and have been hooked ever since. We used to play Star Trek every day at recess and I got to be Scotty.

When Next Generation started airing I was a little slow to get to it but was hooked very quickly and it surpassed even my love for TOS. I had a harder time getting to watch DS9 as it aired since it was on a network I couldn't always pick up at my house. What I did see I enjoyed.

In the latter parts of DS9 and into Voyager I wasn't able to watch as they aired but the smattering of episodes I caught I still greatly enjoyed. I watched all of the movies as they came out and loved them all, even Nemesis for the most part. I didn't get to watch Enterprise outside of a couple of episodes but I enjoyed what I saw.

I am one of those fans that was super skeptical about the reboot of the franchise in 2009 but went and saw the film with an open mind. I loved what I saw and was really glad to see a new life breathed into the series and am glad that my favorite film and television series is back with such strength.

14. Count Zero

Ooh, so many new people. :D Welcome everyone! I hope you'll enjoy your stay.

15. EATERoftheDEAD

EATERoftheDEAD Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Why thank you. :D

16. CommanderRyan

CommanderRyan Ensign Red Shirt

Hello I am Ryan long time fan of Star Trek but first time becoming apart of a forum for it. I just recently felt the need to sometimes discuss my Star Trek with like minded individuals so here I am. My fav. Star Trek is Next Generation even though I do also like the original series, DS9 and Voyager even though I think I like the more newer series slightly more. But I do love the original series and appreciate it because if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have the other series I love slightly more. And I will stop now because I feel I am beginning to ramble a bit.

17. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Welcome to those who have joined over the last 3 months while I have not been here! Hope you've been having a great time :)

18. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Hello.

I've always enjoyed TOS (and TAS when I was wee little), and I became a fan of the franchise when I saw TWOK in '87. Then I went on to watch TNG, DS9 and the rest.

Aside from Voyager, I enjoy pretty much all Trek, though individual movies or episodes, of course, not always.

19. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

New Member my take on Startrek

Ok Just a bit of background on me IM 25 British.

First started watching star trek at age 6! What hooked me was seeing Generations at the cinema. First Start rek Series was TNG. Started watching it from mid series 4. It was Startrek that made be work to become a scientist (even if it was in biology :lol:).

Of course by now I have watched every episode of EVERY series mostly 3 or 4 times over!

List of Favourite series has to be:

DS9: Hands down its my favourite. Its a case of you have a great utopian civilisation, now defend it. Its it sends the deepest message about star trek. Yes you can be a super advanced utopian but there will still be people out there that will threaten it. There are some things you cant control even with super advanced technology. It also says allot about starfleet. That they have got luckily. The whole reason that for 200 years there have had the luxury of focusing on exploration rather than military matters is pure blind luck. Though I think the from the wrath of Khan through to Undiscovered country it showed a more militarised starfleet prepared for war with klingons that was avoided by the fact there main source of resources blew up. But the since then starfleet got complacent. DS9 gave a good insight into everyday life in the federation rather than just life on a shiny new flagship.

TNG from series 5+ : These had some of the best episodes. I loved the exploration and really loved the in depth episodes that covered the Klingons and Romulans it was good seeing them and there culture expanded.

Enterprise 4 series: The 4th series was excellent I loved it and could equal the 5+ TNG episodes. If they had started with this level of quality it would never have been cancelled!

Voyager: It was good entertainment but was very meh...they missed so many opportunities with this series. For starters for a ship stranded 75,000 form a starfleet base it was too clean and sterile. And for a crew thrown together from highly trained starfleet personal and basically terrorists everyone got along too well. Voyager should have been given to Ronald D Moore. Still I think January was a good captain and loved the Doctor and his quest for sentience and Tuvok I liked seeing a proper full blooded Vulcan.

TOS: Ok its started startrek but its pretty dated and its hard taking it seriously when my mobile phone look more advanced. Still for a 60's program it did well with what it had.

Enterprise series 1-3: Ok series 1 was not too bad for a starting trek series, intact it was stronger than TNG and DS9 but series 2 was forgettable and series 3? was that even startrek? It seemed to be action for the sake of action! Hell even JJ Abraham had more reason for the action than Enterprise series 3. And all the time travel crap, just stop please! I want to watch space exploration! If I want time travel I will watch doctor WHO !

TNG Series 1 and 2: O my goodness I have never seen such cringe worth TV watching! The acting is atrocious! And the storylines rubbish or just badly implemented. I feel sorry for Will wheton, his character could have been interesting but the way they wrote him in made me want to punch him as bad as I want to punch Justin Beiber. But then most the characters where so badly written they were more like robots than humans, hell DATA was more human at times! And at times its crossed the line between Sci Fi and fantasy.

As For Films:
    Wrath of Khan: What there not to like? Perfect films and love the atmosphere of that era.
    Undiscovered Country: same as the above and a ZERO G firefight! And the battle at the end was awesome!
    First Contact: Good solid film. The CGI seemed a little fake at times but it was a fast pace good film. They missed some good opportunities like its a shame Sisko was not in it. Would have been brilliant seeing the two captions, both dealing with there scars from the borg in different ways. You would have Picard crying and smashing his conference room up with sisko just going crazy and being right down there with the security teams bashing borg hand to hand......one can only dream though.....
    Into Darkness: It was a fun alternate take on wrath of Khan and had a pretty good story line.
    Search for spock: Was a fun adventure but did get a bit tedious at times.
    Voyage home: Funny and a good watch but very Meh.
    StarTrek X: Hmmm I don't think JJ Abraham's had to go down the alternate timeline route at least in such a dramatic way. And there are so many plot holes like why the hell did they give a cadet command of a starship? But hey it was fun.
    Nemesis: Very Meh and a bit action heavy with thin plot line
    Insurrection: same as Nemesis.
    The motion Picture: Like watching paint dry..... I mean half of it was just watching them fly around the Enterprise in shuttle (did they have to prove it was no longer attached to visible strings ) and the rest was just watching flashing lights and music.... The story line was so simple it was non existent.
    Startrek V: If The motion picture was like watching paint dry this was like pulling finger nails. Kirk verses God? Talk about a shattner ego trip.

And I will add I HATE holideck episodes! I hate them with a passion.

20. Count Zero

Re: New Member my take on Startrek

Merging this with the welcome thread.