Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Welcome to everyone who joined since I last posted in this thread. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

2. rocketdave

rocketdave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I already posted something of an introduction in a couple other "welcome" threads, but somehow, I'm only now noticing this thread, which might have been the most logical one to post in first. I may just end up repeating stuff I've already said, but whatever.

I joined this forum last April, but only started really frequenting this place recently (not coincidentally, coinciding with the release of the teaser trailer for "Into Darkness"). At the pace I'm going, it may be several months before I reach the required number of posts to qualify for an avatar. My motto may as well be the old Lincoln quote about how it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt. :brickwall:

I started watching TNG midway through its run when I was about thirteen and was instantly hooked. It wasn't till years later, though, that I realized my earliest exposure to Star Trek may have been a few minutes of TAS when I was very young. I remembered having seen a bit of the episode "The Lorelei Signal," the one in which Kirk and company are captives on a planet of attractive blonde women. But I didn't remember it was a cartoon and so I figured I must have mixed it up in my head with something else when it turned out there was no TOS episode like it. I only mention this because what I saw of that episode both disturbed yet intrigued me, and so it stuck with me all these years until I finally saw it again.

Growing up, I was never very comfortable with the Trekkie label- my dad used to refer to me as such in the annual Christmas letters he'd send out to everybody and their brother, like that was my one big defining characteristic. I never enjoyed the idea of the Christmas letter anyway. It's nobody's business what's going on in my life. That's why I stay away from stuff like facebook and twitter. But I digress.

I'm more fine with calling myself a Trekkie nowadays, though I might be happier with it if I felt I didn't embody certain negative characteristics the general public associates with the term (i.e. I lived at home for way too long into my 20s, I'm very socially inept, etc.) I'm not even good at being social over the interwebs, but joining here was an attempt to rectify that somewhat. Part of me is already thinking it was a mistake to join this forum and that I have nothing useful to contribute. But we'll see how things pan out.

3. Count Zero

When I first joined up, I just lurked for the most part, posting only when I felt I had something to contribute to the discussion. It's a good policy. So, don't worry about it. But don't feel hampered by it, either. If you want to post something even if you don't think it's 'useful', just do it (when it's within board rules, obviously ;)). People won't think less of you for it.

4. pepperminty

pepperminty Cadet Newbie

Hey there, Trek BBS! I'm Olivia; I'm a nineteen-year old student, born and raised in the good old Pacific Northwest.

My parents are both huge Trekkies--the original series is their favorite and the one I was exposed to the most as a kid--but my I'd say my personal favorite is TNG. I've seen every episode of TOS and TNG, as well as scattered episodes of DS9 and Voyager, but no Enterprise or TAS as of yet. :( I plan to rectify my spotty viewing of the later series ASAP; I'm rewatching TNG at the moment, but once I finish, I'm going to start on a full-blown DS9 watch.

My favorite characters are probably Uhura, Beverly and Data, and I've also got a soft spot for McCoy :) I am also a big fan of Kira Nerys, although as I said, I haven't seen enough of DS9 for my appreciation of her to solidify into full-blown obsession. I am sure it will, given time. I read a lot of fanfiction, but I haven't written any...yet. Who knows what the future will bring? ;)

My life mostly consists of TV; I watch waaaaaaaay too much. I have a Doctor Who tattoo, if that helps prove my dedication to my beloved shows. I'm also super into video games (Mass Effect gives me aaaaall the feelings), books (I'm reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series at the moment), comics (Saga is my new favorite), and, of course, coffee (I'm an ex-barista, a college student, and a Seattleite; what do you expect?)

Oh, and I go to this thing called school sometimes, too. Sigh.

I'm looking forward to getting to know my fellow BBS members and hopefully getting more involved in the Trek fandom as I continue my Trek journey with y'all :)

5. Count Zero

Welcome! What kind of Doctor Who tattoo do you have, if I may ask? By the way, this board also has a pretty active Doctor Who forum.

6. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL I just realized that I never got around to posting here.
    So:

Hi, I'm not so new :)
    I'm Bavarian, female and in my late 40s - old enough to have seen all Trek series when they aired for the very first time.
    I, too, am a big fan of Spock (quite logical, considering the fact that I work in science), yet I'd label myself a Niner. Don't get me wrong, I also like TNG, VOY and ENT but DS9 was the best imho.

Apart from Spock my favourites are Morn, Worf, the EMH, Garak, Moogie, Martok and Kor.
    As you may have noticed I have a soft spot for Klingons. Partiallly because I like my steaks very bloody, partially because I share the Klingon sense of humour as well as their sense of honour, and last but not at all least because I have an absolute weakness for long-haired gentlemen who can recite poetry.
    It's a matter of course that when I became promoted to Captain, I picked a Klingon vessel as my ship and kept it when I became a Flaptain.

I'm not quite such a newbie as I seem as I was a member here before, left about a decade ago and re-registered by request of a couple of friends. On this second round through the ranks I already made quite a few new friends, particularly in the Lounges. I can ony recommend to all newbies to visit them as soon as they have enough posts to be permitted in them. Especially the Redshirt lounge was a lot of fun! I also enjoyed the Captain's Lounge which was quite lively. We could do with a few more posters in the Fleet Captains' Lounge, though. So come on, Flaptains, de-lurk and join the fun!

Like everyone I have not only virtues but also vices: I've never ever seen any Dr Who (yet) and I have zero tolerance to bullies.

7. Steven321

Steven321 Ensign Red Shirt

Hey everyone!

Just joined the forum today,and a bit more quicker thanks to my debit card lol, the "within 24 hours" just seemed like to be to long! Nice to meet you all.

8. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome aboard! :)

I spend too much time on gaming. I also love Mass Effect, even the ending. :p

Grüß Gott! My grandmother is Bavarian. What field of science do you work in? I'm a bio student.

I miss the Flaptain's lounge. :(

Welcome! Hope you have fun here.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

10. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello new members, welcome to Trekbbs :)

11. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Ah, Kirsten, I've missed you since you moved on to the next lounge. And what kind of avatar is that? Kira??? Does McCoy know about this?

12. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hi Josan. Yes, obviously it is Kira, she is my favourite (along with McCoy, who knows and approves!).

13. TheRealSuluh

TheRealSuluh Ensign Red Shirt

Greetings, all.

I'm enjoying poking around the site. I've been a fan of Star Trek since I was a kid. I have been and always will be a TOS girl. The rest are OK, but TOS will remain my first love. I remember playing Star Trek on the playground in elementary school trying to put the Vulcan neck pinch on the boys... And while I had the biggest crush on Spock as a little girl, I grew up and married Suluh. ;) Our son only *barely* escaped being named Hikaru.

14. Count Zero

Welcome! That's pretty cool with the name. I probably would have gone ahead with the name, though. ;)

15. Bigjoe

Bigjoe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Been a fan for a number of years and never new these boards existed.

Looking forward to contributing to the community you have here. Desperate to also go to another convention. The last one I went to was at the Royal Albert hall.

Dark haired back then with not a grey hair in sight.

16. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Ensign Newbie

Hey, all. Thought I'd finally introduce myself. Lifelong trekkie here, I started watching when Kirk, Spock, et al were it. I like all Trek, but still have a soft spot for the original.

17. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

hello, anybody there....? I'm still trying to get the hang of this. I've read the FAQ and I still haven't figured out how you're meant to introduce yourself...

18. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

....aha! it works!
    Hi there everyone. I've been reading discussions on this site for the past 2 and a half years and finally decided to join in November. Messed up registration procedure, success on 2nd attempt! So here I am...
    Truth be told I was extremely reluctant way back when EVER to watch Star Trek anything. I had the quite widespread image that stuff like that was for social misfits who spend all day talking to computers but need two stiff drinks before saying hello to a fellow human being and would probably spontaneously ejaculate if a woman so much as smiled at them; and I was damned if I'd have people think I was in that category by admitting to watching Trek and liking it... Well what can I say?
    Most of the people on this site seem to be quite normal so I'm happy to be cured of my preconceptions (grin). It was some mates at uni who got me onto TNG, by insisting they plonk me down in front of it, and I was initially sold purely on the acting qualities of Patrick Stewart. I thought, well if he's in it, this can't be such rubbish after all. Watched a few episodes, quite liked it, didn't fall in love yet. Then a couple years ago I was staying at a hotel over in Germany unable to sleep and watching TNG re-runs at half three in the morning, sort of as background, like having the radio on. Then the episode "Ensign Ro" came on and had me instantly hooked. The whole Bajoran-Cardassian thing and the background that was hinted at really fired up my imagination and it went from there. First thing back home, looked up the terms on the net... found out that DS9 dealt with the topic in more depth... ended up buying first the last two seasons of TNG, then bit by bit the entire run of both series... then a few books... The quality of many of the storylines and the calibre of the acting absolutely won me over. In fact I've got so infatuated that I'm currently in my 'professional capacity' working on an anthology of short stories dealing with the occupation and what came after.
    So, I still wouldn't call myself a Trekkie for fear people should think I walk around in fancy dress and will spout Klingon grammar at them, but I am unashamedly a massive fan by now!! Come on, you lot, everyone pour themselves a virtual drink at my expense... I'm glad to be sitting at the table! Cheers!

19. Richard III

Richard III Ensign Red Shirt

Wow, Dal, how did you get that one so very wrong?

I am also new, by the way.

20. Count Zero

Or, rather, quite old? ;)

Welcome to all new members, I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.