• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Voyagers! - 40+ years later

Leviathan

Commodore
Commodore
I’ve been rewatching Voyagers! the early ’80s time-travel series. This is a weirdly fun experience 40-ish years later....something I often get rewatching TOS.

I liked it back then, and now it looks like the 1980s television it is...which the fun part. The premise still works IMHO: two people bouncing through history, fixing whatever went wrong, with a pocket-watch (Omni) telling them whether the timeline is on track. They do the "What If" concept of time travel, and its comical to watch the "TV History" vs what we know today. Those contrasts are entertaining as much as the series...

Anyone else revisited this one recently?
 
I was only 4 when this first aired. I am not sure if I watched it than. Or if it was rerun someplace only a couple years later. Either way it’s one of my earliest tv memories. I have seen little bits of it over the years but never took time to really watch full episodes now. But I should.

I usually attributed my life long fascination with time travel starting with Back to the Future. But I think that just dramatically magnified it. Because I have memories of cartoons with time travel episodes from earlier like Super Friends and the Flintstones. Obviously this show was part of that too.

I always thought a whole book, documentary or podcast could be done on time travel in movies and tv in the 1980s. It’s a very long list. The genre was not created then but there seemed to be all these separate factors that contributed to many being developed independently.
 
I remember watching this at the time. I bought the novelization at a Scholastic Book Fair and wanted to write a Voyagers! novel of my own. I think I was eight.

I've never seen it since.
 
This show is so much fun. There is a Voyagers! Facebook group, where you'll occasionally get people who worked on the show sharing information about it.

Also, Secret Galaxy did a video about it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And if you hunt around Internet Archive, you'll find a film version of the first two episodes of the show with a weird backstory and not so great sound track.
 
Loved the Omni. Between that and the "Girl and the Gold Watch" movie series, I never turned down a pocket watch.

I still think about this series now and then.

I was also a fan of "Cover Me" which was Jon-Erik Hexum's last role. My wife and I tried to watch that series recently. It hasn't aged well.
 
Loved the Omni. Between that and the "Girl and the Gold Watch" movie series, I never turned down a pocket watch.

I still think about this series now and then.

I was also a fan of "Cover Me" which was Jon-Erik Hexum's last role. My wife and I tried to watch that series recently. It hasn't aged well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top