VOY: Unworthy by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by nx1701g, Sep 21, 2009.

?

Grade "Unworthy"

1. Excellent

42.2%
  2. Above Average

42.2%
  3. Average

11.0%
  4. Below Average

1.8%
  5. Poor

2.8%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: Unworthy - Discuss/Grade Thread <SPOILERS>

^We do try to maintain continuity among the modern novels. But there's a lot to keep track of, and we aren't always aware of every bit of it. It's possible Kirsten just never got around to reading PoE, and Margaret didn't catch the discrepancy because she had so much else on her plate.

Anyway, whereas my approach was that the MyrU timelines represented "real" parallel timelines in the same overall continuity as the main fiction, I've never been sure whether that was universally accepted. Some might well see them simply as "imaginary stories" that aren't binding on the main novel continuity. I was never certain whether what I asserted about Species 8472 in PoE would be acknowledged by anyone else. Nobody ever made me any promises that it would be.

2. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

When it comes to the inter-related nature of the stories, I guess I'm used to how things are done over in the SFU - where they tend to keep a tighter leash on how events in one story may or may not affect the broader timeline.

(I've had more than one story idea sent back to the drawing board, due to that very issue.)

This is not to disparage the approach here, of course - the nature of the SFU places more of an intrinsic necessity in keeping such consistency.

But as has been said, if a looser set if reins allows for the right storytelling to get through in the Pocketverse, well and good!

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I really don't see where the end of Unworthy is that major of a contradiction. Afterall, the whole situation was started by a member of Species 8472, not Voyager. If anyone was able to get around what was done in PoE, it would probably be one of them.

4. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

Hello Friends,

It's been awhile since I've been around so belated thanks to everyone who has been reading Unworthy and posting their thoughts. On balance it sounds like folks are pleased and that's always nice to hear.

Regarding the PofE issue...

Yes, I had read it prior to starting both Full Circle and Unworthy, and I chose, much as Christopher alluded, not to contradict it entirely, or to spend any time at all justifying any perceived contradiction. At that point in the story anything at all that would be slowing down the action would have made me, and I presume, the readers, terribly annoyed. And though it was clear to me that Christopher inteded this particular Myriad Universe story to remain true for all timelines, I really read it as a potential AU story rather than binding on the current continuity. Neither of my editors in the outline or draft stages of the MS felt it was a problem.

And thus, another potential inconsistency was born.

Bear in mind that we do strive to remain as consistent as possible with one another's works, particularly for stories that are in any way inter-conected, though as noted, sometimes things just fall through the cracks. The needs of the story come first and in this case, I didn't feel that belaboring the point with justifications would have served the story well.

Best,
    Kirsten

5. Christopher

^Thanks for clarifying, Kirsten. It would've been nice if the stories could've meshed together more smoothly, but you were certainly entitled to make the choice for the reasons you explained. And as I said, I don't think the discrepancy is particularly hard to reconcile. You did state that the links to fluidic space were made possible by a particular kind of "weakness" in the boundary between universes, so that provides a handy explanation for why the barrier wasn't as firm as PoE implied. And since the main-timeline Voyager characters weren't aware of the events of PoE, that can handily explain why their interpretation of the physics seems slightly different from what PoE suggested. As for "Valerie Archer" not explaining any of it, that's consistent with what PoE established about the Groundskeepers' desire for privacy about this embarrassing issue.

Really, the only thing that bugs me is the coincidence that "Valerie" just happened to be that close to an entry point that was tens of thousands of light-years away from where "In the Flesh" happened. But then, fluidic space is a much smaller universe than ours, so maybe the equivalent distances there are smaller too.

And who knows? If I ever do get the chance to expand PoE into a full-length novel, as Dave did with The Sorrows of Empire, I could always throw in a line or two that would help reconcile it more clearly with Unworthy.

6. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Two things, 1) May I ask what PoE that everyone is referring to? I can't seem to wrap my brain around what that would mean. 2) Just finished Unworthy, and can I say what a damn good book that was. I found myself not wanting to put it down, and even found myself sneaking in a page or two while at work. I hope that the story is expanded in another book or two. Speaking of which, what are the chances of continuing the story from the end of Unworthy?

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

While the next book hasn't been announced yet, it would probably take something pretty dramatic happening for us to not get more Voy.R.

8. Christopher

Places of Exile, my contribution to Myriad Universes.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Just in case Admiral Steven wants to check it out: to be precise it's one of three short novels in Myriad Universes: Infinity's Prism.

10. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I am a little late to jump on the bandwagon, but I just finished this book and just wanted to say it was a great read.

I have to admit that Voyager was not my favorite TV series but when the post-TV books started to come out years ago, I gave them a shot and thought they were entertaining. But for a short time there didn't seem to be any new Voyager stories that caught my eye, until these two books. I am glad I picked them up. I am a sucker for happy endings so it was good to see everyone from the original crew back together in the end. It'll also be interesting to see where Meegan goes from here.

My only request? Please make it work out between Harry and Nancy. Haha the man needs some action!

11. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thank you, Christopher, I appreciate that. I'm going to check this out.

Thanks, I'm going to check it out.

I agree with the highlighted, Harry needs some action...desperately! I'm sure it will, but I do hope that things work out between Harry and Tom.

12. Christopher

If you want Harry to get action, you'll be quite satisfied with Places of Exile.

13. mackula

mackula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished Unworthy and thought it was really good. Can't wait til the next Voyager relaunch novel comes out. Happy to see that most of the crew are together again.

14. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirsten, you have done an amazing job with Unworthy. I was so happy to see everyone back together again. There were moments that I laughed, moments I wanted to cry, and so many amazingly cool things in between. Loved seeing Neelix, 8472, and Captain Proton again. All the romance threads were perfect. Everyone's characters arcs are progressing amazingly and you have done an amazing job introducing the new characters. Thank you so much for your hard work.

15. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

^Aw...thanks so much!

16. ryan123450

Any tidbits you can give us about any upcoming book or the direction you want to take the series?

17. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Apropos of nothing, that one helluva cute baby, Kirsten.

18. brcarthey

brcarthey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i've dug these two books so much that i'm eagerly awaiting the next installment. hopefully, pocket will allow KB to continue the story.

19. Christopher

^Why do people keep assuming that the VGR series is permanently Kirsten's from now on? Sure, it started out as a single-author series, but the fact that they changed authors should pretty much prove that's no longer the case. Kirsten was signed up for two novels, and it was Marco Palmieri's intention (back when he was in charge of it) that it would be a multi-author series thereafter. Of course, there's a new editor in charge now, but there's no reason to assume the VGR series won't be open to other authors.

Of course I'd be happy to see Kirsten revisit VGR again, but I'd also like to see others (like, ohh, maybe me) get the chance.

20. ryan123450

I guess I hadn't realized that others would contribute now as well. I for one would love to see what our other staple Trek authors could bring to this new story. And you are very near the top of that list, as far as I'm concerned Christopher.