Spoilers VOY: To Lose The Earth by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomswift2002, Oct 4, 2020.

?

Rate VOY: To Lose The Earth

1. Outstanding

35.6%
  2. Above Aversge

35.6%
  3. Average

22.2%
  4. Below Average

6.7%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished it and voted outstanding.

Chakotay and Janeway formally got together - even with rings.
    I liked Gwyn's and Nancy's personal struggles and how it was dealt with.
    The solution to Nancy's disease felt a bit rushed, though. The end of her relationship with Harry wasn't a surprise. Harry left as single parent will be interesting as is the argument between B'Elanna and Tom whether it is too dangerous aboard Voyager for their children.

Nice interaction between O'Donnell and Fife.

According to Collateral Damage we know that Naomi endet with Starfleet Intelligence......

No major cliffhanger there, but still many untold stories..... I hope one day someone picks up the loose ends.

I didn't like the DTI part of it, but liked it how Admiral Akaar handled the problem. Regina Farkas and El'nor Sal are my favorit characters. They are like Kirk and McCoy in their friendship and professional behavior.

Is this just coincidence: El'nor and Elnor?

2. Damian

Damian Commodore Commodore

I'm down to the last episode of Picard, season 1 now and I found it interesting to see some potential ties to this novel, particularly the moving of stars and the androids believing there is some higher order of synth life, perhaps outside the galaxy (could they be the Edrehmaia?).

I hope that the books continue to explore that from the litverse perspective. We have been told there is a 'plan' and apparently Beyer has alluded to that. I mean, I see almost no ways the existing litverse and Picard could co-exist as is, esp. from Destiny-on. But it'll be real interesting to see what openings future novels might find to bring the two in sync in some fashion.

3. Markonian

Markonian Commodore Commodore

The Federation being friends with the Edrehmaia would be very useful in the long run.

Perhaps
    in a speculative continuation of the TrekLitverse the Federation therefore side-steps the dilithium "peak-oil" by having unlimited slipstream capacity thanks to the Edrehmaia.

In turn, the canon post-NEM timeline is created after Janeway's fixed-point-in-time death.
    By resolving the universal crisis in The Eternal Tide, the death of all Janeways was no longer needed.
    Therefore, the new timelines sprung up where Janeway lives.
    Admiral Janeway opposed the Full Circle mission to the Delta Quadrant, continually overruling Willem Batiste. So in canon and STO Trek, the Project Full Circle expedition does not happen. The range of slipstream remains limited. The Federation doesn't meet the Edrehmaia.
    Ergo, the Burn.

This also allows the Janeways from IDW: mirror Voyager, STO, Star Trek: Timelines and Star Trek: Fleet Command to live beyond 2380.

4. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

In the future humans will be 'so enlightened' that walking away from parenting your own offspring will be no big deal e.g Kirk, McCoy, Riker's dad, Torres dad and Nancy Conlon.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  5. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Although Voyager should probably still be in the Delta Quadrant in 2385, since there's a reference to the Full Circle fleet in "The Light Fantastic".

6. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If she had unprotected sex with Kim, it was probably to be expected that this would happen. Unless it's a Kasidy Yates type of situation, where one of them forgot to take injections.