Spoilers VOY: To Lose The Earth by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomswift2002, Oct 4, 2020.

?

Rate VOY: To Lose The Earth

1. Outstanding

34.0%
  2. Above Aversge

36.0%
  3. Average

20.0%
  4. Below Average

8.0%
  5. Poor

2.0%
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

For those UK-based, BooksEtc looks to now have copies for £7.96

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bornin1980something likes this.
  3. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I like to think Ripley is a Disney Princess by now. Certainly the clone Ripley if a royal tie is required. (Alien Queens are still Queens...)

‘In the Aftermath’ is on YouTube, indie/cheap post apocalyptic film, with chunks of ‘Angels Egg’ by GiTs and Patalbor director Oshii cut in, sort of like Power Rangers in the sense of using material from one to tell a different story. It’s really quite good and emotionally effective, and is worth a watch. XD

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Really, anime is just the Japanese word for animation in general, foreshortening the English loan word as they often do (e.g. "costume play" becoming "cosplay," "car navigation" (GPS) becoming "carnavi," etc.). But Westerners use it to refer to animation made by Japanese creators.

I have recently completed something that should be announced soon, but I haven't been approached about anything DTI-related since Shield of the Gods a few years back.

5. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:sigh:

Glad to see you have another novel coming out though--still I'd love to see something come of a DTI-Krenim and maybe something involving Picard angle. You are one of the continuity guys so if anyone could tie it altogether you probably could. :D

The future is full of possibilities so I'll keep my fingers crossed :techman:

trampledamage likes this.
  6. Hardtarget

Hardtarget Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Finally got a chance to finish the book tonight and I just can't believe this is the ending we're getting to the litverse. For me it just falls soooo flat at the end. I really feel like the last 2 chapters just totally ruin the book for me.

As a send off to Voyager the wedding is cute but the book just ends all of a sudden. it's like all of the complaints of the voyager finale happened over again.

And I just can't believe how the Conlon/Kim storyline ended, just awful. I'm fine with them not being together but there is absolutely no payoff to the story and whatever conversation Conlon apparently did have with Kim was off screen! Beyer said this was supposed to be Harry's story and... what did he learn? He wants a kid and was screwed over again. Hell, he doesn't even get promoted (still) and doesn't even become the XO of the ship he has been spending so much time helping.

Hell, and unless I missed it, we don't even learn where the doctor ends up at the end, or Barclay even.

I'm rambling here but what a letdown to what was a fascinating book and series.

7. Little_kingsfan

Little_kingsfan Commander Red Shirt

Well, to be fair, it's possible he will get that promotion - as far as I know, nobody's new job title(s) were listed: Tom and B'Elanna are returning to the Alpha Quadrant/Earth with their kids, and Cmdr. O'Donnell gave up command of the Demeter to join the Voyager crew on their next adventure, but it's not stated who is taking over as First Officer or Fleet Chief Engineer (the latter if anybody), or what O'Donnell, a senior science and command officer, is going to do now (but it was confirmed that Lt. Cmdr. Fife would serve as acting Captain of the Demeter until Starfleet either assigned somebody else or promoted him to the job full-time).

8. Hardtarget

Hardtarget Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh for sure, and it may happen off screen in the future, but that's my point. There's just no payoff at the end of this book and again it just feels like it ends all of a sudden. 6 Chapters somehow crammed into 1 at the very end.

Alwaystrekkin likes this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then it's a good thing it won't be, while nothing has been officially announced yet, it's sounding more and more likely that we'll be getting at least one or two more Novelverse books.

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the impetus for Voyager's new multi-year mission is that they'd be getting back to the Federation right around the novelverse "present day" so they could be involved in Crisis on Infinite Treks or whatever it's going to be.

11. Little_kingsfan

Little_kingsfan Commander Red Shirt

Now THAT's a title!

12. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Julius Schwartz may be rolling over in his grave with that title.

13. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

50 pages into it. KMFB rocks it again!

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it's not To Lose La Trek? :D

(I'll see myself out...)

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That feels like a reference to something I'm not getting.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, OK thanks.

18. Alwaystrekkin

Alwaystrekkin Lieutenant Red Shirt

Oh hope so, as I disliked To Lose the Earth's ending (besides the "event") a lot; seemed to me as if Voyager could well be gone for good (oh no thank you!), what a downer. Just hoping that ST: Prodigy is set after 2386 and it's Admiral Janeway featured as a living character, so I can relegate for myself TLtE firmly to Trek non "canon" status (which I know it is, but on-screen new confirmation that KJ isn't "never to be heard from" yet AGAIN would be nice).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not finished yet, but thank you Kirsten for giving Harry Kim more to do in this book than in almost all the Voyager TV episodes, and for creating great supporting characters in your Voyager journey!

Markonian and Shamrock Holmes like this.