VFX in season 2 (and short treks)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by pst, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Pretty easy to see where the budget got blown on .... they pumped the budget into the VFX department. The visuals are movie quality OUTSTANDING :techman: :techman: :drool:

2. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jim Spader's younger brother?

3. Jadeb

Jadeb Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wondered if the humanoid goo creature was meant to be the Ba'ul's real form, or if that was just a form it assumed. But I kinda liked that I was uncertain.

That said, the technology the Ba'ul created didn't seem very compatible with either form. Surprisingly tidy and minimalist, those goo creatures.

4. eschaton

eschaton Commodore Commodore

The worst part of it - for me - is if the Ba'ul are aquatic (which it sure seems like they are - considering their stronghold is underwater and the one comes into and out of a pool) there's really no reason for any part of their ship to have internal air chambers.

5. Campe98

Campe98 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except for taking the Kelpiens.

6. eschaton

Why would they need to store them in an air-filled chamber at all after "harvesting?" Just kill them and dispose of the body.

7. Campe98

Why do the bad guys in Bond movies always explain their entire plan to 007? Its a silly idea but its there. Do we need a reason for everything?

8. eschaton

IMHO yes, unless you're talking about something which is meant to be comedic and lampshade something.

If you need to have characters act in a non-sensical manner to move the plot forward, you haven't spent enough time plotting out your story.

9. Campe98

Or perhaps they had to make concessions due to budgetary reasons? We know that right about this time in production, the show had to be retooled a bit because of overspending.

10. eschaton

True enough. The "chamber" was a pretty nakedly redressed Discovery transporter room after all.

11. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Fleet Captain

I guess you've never been to a seafood restaurant that has an aquarium filled with live crabs. Also the Ba'ul figure specifically stated, they were going to study Saru, so that likely required more time in a less messy environment that underwater might be.

Campe98 likes this.
  12. Jadeb

Jadeb Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Ba’ul could be like whales and still require atmospheric gases.

That said, the ship/technology didn’t look like it was designed and used by goo creatures. Maybe they abduct the Kelpians to put them on mop duty.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  13. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CBS just posted a breakdown of the VFX in season 2, episode 1. these were playing at the paley center exhibit, one for each episode, so i assume there are more forthcoming.
    [​IMG]

Neumann and King Daniel Beyond like this.
  14. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's that Discovery Turbolift Funhouse™ breakdown. If anything, it looks even more impossibly big without textures and filters:lol::shrug:

Noah_23, Gepard and pst like this.
  15. Trajet

Trajet Commander Red Shirt

Any chance those of us outside the US & Canada could get a version of the VFX breakdown that isn't region locked?

16. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Speaking of Discovery VFX, I just had my own go at creating a shot with her...

17. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

:wtf: ..... :eek: ..... :techman: Holy smokes, that was amazing... I watched that clip at 1080p on my 27" monitor and could have swarn it was straight out of an episode. Awesome is an understatement. :luvlove:

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^Yours looks more photorealistic than most of what's actually in the show.

Whose model is that, btw?

19. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's listed in the video description. The model is by Marc Bell.

20. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i was actually thrown off by the fact that the shuttlebay door was closed, well done discovery season 2.

Spaceship Jo likes this.