Variety: "Star Trek: Picard Is 'Divisive' "

That's funny because I didn't get the impression that this was written and intended for an older, more mature audience whatsoever.
I think you're missing a lot of what was going on if you think this.

This series seemed to be aimed at a younger demographic,
It's about an old man dying, and going on one last mission to wash away regret.

and even followed the Disney Star Wars formula of bringing in the old characters, while introducing newer younger ones who would be somewhat mentored by the old ones, but also doing the mentoring.
That's life.

The overall tone of TNG comes across as much more mature and thoughful than PIC.
TNG is my favorite Trek series and probably television series overall. There was a lot there that this doesn't have, but maturity isn't one of them. TNG painted with a broader brush a more colorful and optimistic future, whereas this one paints with a medium brush a more specific one geared to contemporary concerns. The one does not negate the other. My goodness, if this one's technique were applied to the other's world, I'd be in Heaven.

The Romulans/Zhat Vash/Commodore Oh/Narissa/Bjayzel are all one-dimensional villains, Saturday Morning Cartoon caricatures
Not accurate. Plus, review earlier series villains and you'll find more closer to this description.

The A-Team needs to stop the the super powerful lazer-portal-opener from being activated and unleashing the prophesied armageddon that will destroy all life as we know it!
As opposed to the UberCrew sent to stop horrific catastrophes in previous incarnations? The Enterprise crew is the ultimate A-Team. You're not being fair, I think because the series didn't speak to you.

After our heroes save the day we get a nod to nostalgia, a new Enterprise La Sirena crew, and the person who's brain is fried and murdered her lover shares a kiss with Han Solo (awwwww). Engage!
Watch the last scene of "Encounter at Farpoint" again. Not that I liked it then either, but I thought that given everything we'd gone through this season, given how unlikely this series was to even exist, my main thought was how sad I was that it will be months and months, if not longer, before we see any more. And look around you in the real world, we may not see a lot of things again. So I appreciate this all the more.

I think you're missing a lot of what was going on if you think this.
Could you elaborate on what I'm missing?

It's about an old man dying, and going on one last mission to wash away regret.
That's an incredibly vague description of Star Trek Picard. It seems like pretty generic action fare when you watch it. And doesn't Star Wars The Last Jedi deal with elements of that as well? An old man who's turned his back on the world and is full of regret, who goes on one last mission before dying and actually staying dead? And that film was clearly aimed at a younger demographic.
But in PIC he's not really dying. He gets an upgrade, and a new life, new body, minus his disease. Had it dealt more realistically with the topic of dying, or been a less cliched portrayal of it, I can see it being intended for a more mature audience. Picard's death knell is timed right at the "epic" finale, and Jurati gives him a boost so he can use his super power (making speeches) one last time. It doesn't get more Hollywood cliche than that.

That's life.
That is life for corporations-conluded to be "persons" by courts-who want to perpetuate their franchises indefinitely. They tried to do a similar thing for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but it didn't work out. Shia LeBeouf is a poor replacement for Harrison Ford. It's a smart tactic to bring in the older fans, but also trying to appeal to the youth market who has less investment in the property. It's especially conspicuous when Picard is asked if he's going to bring his old crew back, who's more than capable. No, I don't want to risk their lives. Better to risk the lives of his other friend who's life he ruined, and the orphaned boy he befriended and never saw again.
I think it's a perfectly valid strategy to attempt to appeal to mainstream audiences, but it detracts from the story and the characters.

TNG painted with a broader brush a more colorful and optimistic future, whereas this one paints with a medium brush a more specific one geared to contemporary concerns.
I won't deny that. I'm assuming that the rogue synth attack was alluding to 9/11 and the synth ban=muslim ban. Romulan refugees=immigrants and refugees from laces like El Salvador. Federation/Starfleet having some similarities of the Trump administration. But politics and social issues are not new to Star Trek.

As far as contemporary concerns, substance abuse and addiction by way of Raffi, right? True, that's not really something that was addressed in TNG. But that's a topic that's covered in a LOT television. And it's not really treated with any real maturity than the cheap action flick. Down and out cop who has a drinking problem goes on an action-adventure, decides to stop drinking, and vindicated. I think Iron Man II dealt with an alcoholic hero too. And that's aimed at kids and teenagers.

The one does not negate the other. My goodness, if this one's technique were applied to the other's world, I'd be in Heaven.
You mean having crew members who were alcoholics and smoked weed, and several "damaged" characters who are cracking jokes constantly after having murdered a man? I think TNG's tone, for the most part, didn't need to have PIC's tone added to it. If it did, it would lose it's uniqueness. I like that the future in TNG is so different from the world I currently lived/live in. But that's my preference, not yours.

I'm trying to imagine a Star Trek or SF show in general that would have both. An optimistic future Earth to aspire to, but still have issues somewhat comparable to the society of say, five years ago.

Not accurate. Plus, review earlier series villains and you'll find more closer to this description.
Narissa is pretty much a cackling villain. Her and Seven are like 80s action character cliches. A more mature approach would be both sides who truly believe in what they're doing is good. But the Zhat Vash are clearly the space racists, calling the synths "abominations." I would have been more impressed had the Zhat Vash felt genuine sympathy for these poor creatures, but felt compelled to murder them if it meant saving the lives of so many more. A perversion of "the needs of the many out way the needs of the few."

TNG did have some stereotypical villains, even in later seasons. Duras is completely evil. Tomalak is gleeful in his bad guy-ness. The thing is, the antagonists weren't always colorful supervillains in TNG. Sometimes it was so much more complicated than that, like in "Suddenly Human." PIC on the other hand has the villains as just pure villains. We did get Narek crying over Soji, which I thought was a nice touch, but for the most part, pretty basic villains. And even if we agree that the villains are just as stereotypical in TNG as they are in PIC, how is PIC for a more mature audience then? How is it showing maturity and progress in complex character depictions if it's doing the same thing from 30 years ago? How is it more mature than mainstream kids fair of something like Loki's depiction in the first Thor movie?

As opposed to the UberCrew sent to stop horrific catastrophes in previous incarnations? The Enterprise crew is the ultimate A-Team. You're not being fair, I think because the series didn't speak to you.
Was TNG ten episodes straight of stopping THE.END.OF.ALL.LIFE.AS.WE.KNOW.IT? And having samurai martial arts action?

I don't think I'm being unfair at all. I've been re-watching TNG lately and there's a lot that I find fault with in individual episodes. There's problems I have with the TOS films. I may be a little more critical of PIC because of the context of the time it's been produced in. Science-fiction and streaming have made more available and more competitive thanks to cable and streaming platforms. So while TNG has it's flaws, I think it was still bringing something truly unique to the table at that time. Even watching it today some of the concepts still feel fresh compared to what's out. I don't get that with PIC. I've seen too many elements and concepts lifted from other familiar, mainstream SF/fantasy properties out there.

Watch the last scene of "Encounter at Farpoint" again. Not that I liked it then either, but I thought that given everything we'd gone through this season, given how unlikely this series was to even exist, my main thought was how sad I was that it will be months and months, if not longer, before we see any more.
Meaning that PIC S2 might get better/even better if given a chance? That's true. But despite this being one serialized story, it was still 10 episodes, so it's not fair to compare it to 1 episode of TNG in that regard.

And look around you in the real world, we may not see a lot of things again. So I appreciate this all the more.
I'm happy that it resonated with people. Not for me, but for those that did and got to see old friends again on-screen, that's awesome. I don't begrudge anyone that. We all have our different tastes. And there things about the series that I did like. The old returning cast...not so much, save for Marina Sirtis. Some of the new actors were really good though.
Some of the concepts were really interesting, like Romulans with their false doors on homes. I didn't quite get that, but it was interesting. Was it a reference to their previously perceived nature of being so deceptive?
The idea of rescued former Borg was good. Execution...so-so. But that scene where the one guy is getting healed, who is disfigured and missing his eye, and yet he's looking in the mirror and cries tears of joy just because he's free and regained his humanity again? That was a great scene. That got me.
The art design team and the special effects people for the interior of the Borg ship. Probably the best it's ever looked.
I just think the story itself was surprisingly generic, especially considering what good things I heard about Michael Chabon. Isa Briones is lovely but I really didn't care too much about her identity crisis or questioning of whether or not she was real. I've seen it before, done much better, when it was Ryan Gosling's K, Rachael talking about the mama spider, Major Kusanagi seeing her double on a crowded city street, or David wanting to be a real boy in A.I.

And going back to the theme of an old man dying and dealing with regret, Kurosawa's Ikiru is something I'd say was more successful in that regard while also being aimed at a more mature audience.

In regards to the way the world is right now, and this show...yeah I feel you on that one. The show didn't get me like it got others, but if it was great and brought a bit of hope or escapism to people that's something special. I'm watching and listening to a clip of Isa Briones 'Return to "Blue Skies."

Oh yeah, if and when we get S2, I really hope it won't be the adventures of the Sirena crew in space. I'd really like to see Picard being a father figure to Elnor and Soji either on Earth or another planet. Didn't one creator say he wanted to do a show where Picard is just on his vinyard petting his dog? I don't think he meant that literally, but something totally unexpected would be welcomed by me.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on what I'm missing?
And going back to the theme of an old man dying and dealing with regret, Kurosawa's Ikiru is something I'd say was more successful in that regard while also being aimed at a more mature audience.

I'm too stoned atm to read this whole reply right now -- expect further tomorrow...mabye, if you're note the Cheshire Cat --but you're comparing something Kurosawa did well in a move to something Trek's doing in an episode, and you're immediately unfair. Go take the Western Literary Canon and apply it to TOS then cross-reference with all the Academy Award winners since 1931, and then we can talk about Trek's quality.

Compare that to something like 1995's animated film Ghost In The Shell.
No, I won't actually.
I'm speaking about the series as a whole. The whole idea about artificial life and identity is glossed over, at least in regards to Dahj, Soji and Picard, and this was a 10 hour season.
Not really. Each person has to come to grips with who they are, including Soji and Dahj, and Picard has to recognize his identity outside of Starfleet.
What themes of death, purpose and legacy were there in PIC that were fit for a more meant to be enjoyed by a more mature audience? Other than the fact that Picard is an old man who acts like an old man.
That Picard's legacy is more than just Starfleet. That's an oversimplification but I feel like so many things are being glossed over from the season at this point I'm not going much further in depth. If you feel like it isn't touching on these things then I can't change your mind.
I think everyone we see die on-screen dies violently. Icheb gets killed of Hostel style, and 7/9 gets sweet, sweet revenge and kills Bjayzel. And makes her way through a swarm of armed guards like nothing, John Woo style.
Hugh is killed off by femme fatale Narissa. 7/9 gets sweet, sweet revenge and kills Narissa. "This is for Hugh."
But she regrets it because...she had an opportunity to incapacitate and handcuff Narissa? Because Narissa was giving up and pleading for her life? No. It's because good guys don't kill...or something like that.
It comes across as a bit juvenile. This is stuff you read in the most generic of superhero comics.
Yup, not going to see eye to eye on this one. Somehow the more violent nature of these deaths makes it more juvenile?
I think the finale is the definition of an easy answer.
That's why I said "very few easy answers" not "no easy answers." But, thank you for picking it apart.
Picard saved the day and Starfleet is once again acting like itself again.
Yes, and it was a long journey to actually have that happen, rather than just Picard having a speech and being done. Guess what? It's not all neatly wrapped up. The attitude towards synths still exists, Picard's new identity as a synth, the state of the Romulans, and Oh as well.

Contrast that with TNG I at least know these threads will be picked up rather than just warped out of existence.
But that's just what he does in ep. 10. He uses super power of speechifying to convince Soji not to kill off all organic life.
And there is no way he could have done that in Episode 1. That's the whole point of the story is Picard moving out of his depressed, despairing mode, and focusing on his capabilities and his skills, his own personal integrity. It's classic psychology at its finest.

As I stated, I don't know if we will see eye to eye. There is so much glossing over of themes and character moments, specifically with Picard, and his personal integrity vs. his despair, that I think is exemplified beautifully in Episode 10.

But, mileage will vary.

Everyone wants their show to be “divisive”, but PIC just happens to be good enough for most people: not that bad but not too special either.

As I didn't read every word spoken by Chabon, I heard about this quote on YouTube:

Sometimes you’re motivated to have things simply because it’s possibly going to piss off or provoke people who seem to have missed the memo about just what exactly “Star Trek” is and always has been all about.

What is this memo he is talking about?

Then, there is this:

And so that when a show in this era asks you to do what you are readily willing to do with a show like “Westworld” or “Breaking Bad” or whatever — somehow, the mere fact that it’s “Star Trek” makes it hard to accept.

If I want to see WW or BB, I would tune into them. I come to see Star Trek.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020...mits-he-wanted-to-piss-off-or-provoke-people/

An alt-right clickbait site which has been gunning for modern Trek for some time isn't the best way to source such quotes.

As to coming to see Star Trek - whose? 1960s Roddenberry's? Freiberger's? Meyer's? Bennett's? 1980's Roddenberry's? Maizlish's? Hurley's? Berman's? Behr's? Coto's? Berg's & Harbert's? Kurtzman's?

They all differ. Some of them break the mould of what came before - a few were rejected by Roddenberry himself. Why shouldn't Chabon's differ?

If anything, I'm inclined to have a lot more faith in a direction plotted by one of the finest novelists of the modern age than any of those other names.

Reading this article and reading the stories from Michael Chabon at his Instagram account, I feel alienated from him and I am glad that he is leaving. I am fed up with the whole thing. There is an attitude there where if I don't like what I am given, the problem is with me and that I am an "entitled" fan. I barely remember the older shows as I haven't watched them in years so I am not entering into the new series with a expectation that they will be like what I saw years ago.

I know what I am looking for in a series. I may not be able to articulate it as succinctly as others; however, I know what it is when I find it. When it is not there, I will be vocal. I have grown estranged from the franchises I knew in my younger years - Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars - and I attribute it partly to the change in the relationship between the audience and those create the products. It has become more adversarial on both sides and it is poisoning the franchises.

I like the guy but I do agree I don't like it when showrunners and writers blast fans on the internet. Even if some fans deserve it, to me it feels very unprofessional and also it makes it easier for people to just dismiss people as toxic anytime they disagree over anything. Not everything in life is toxic. Sometimes people just disagree and sometimes those disagreements even get a little heated at times. Having emotions and being irrational and maybe a little to passionate is normal human behavior. They are flaws I would say but not sins unless you cross the line like harrassment and death threats and all that second level stuff where cops should be called in.

Jason

IMO, it's only "divisive" if you're of the opinion that Trek has to look a certain way (Berman-era)

Berman-era is where and how Picard and the crew were shown, for 15 years before CBS, of course people who like the characters a lot would also like the style in which they were presented.

• Reset button. No lasting consequences.
  • Complex moral issues being resolved in an hour.

Aside from that TNG wasn't completely reset button, making a storyline 10 hours, all the episodes, will lead to a lot more love-it-or-hate-it reactions than having several stories occurring within that time.

• Family-friendly.

Of course there will be some dislike when a sequel to a yes, usually-PG show about a utopian society goes MA or focuses on corruption.

Remember how "divisive" DS9 was?

It still is. Divisive doesn't mean failure, divisive (love-it-or-hate-it) can be better than widespread indifference, but it also doesn't mean that the people who don't like and years later still don't like it are just wrong.

Last edited:
The biggest thing is going from one format to another. TNG went from TV to Movies and the format changed. Then it went from Movies to Prestige TV on the web. All three are very different from each other.

TOS also went through a similar format change, going from TV to New Hollywood 2001-inspired Cinema with TMP, and then to Modern Hollywood from TWOK on.

I don't blame anyone for preferring a different style, but the demands that a change in format bring have happened before.

And, it goes without saying that who's running things makes a huge difference too. Not just at the producer level but also at the showrunner level on the TV end and the director on the film end. From the fourth season of TNG on, things were relatively stable for an unusually long time, and anything before that point, they could brush off as "Oh, that was just the '80s!" Now they're looking at a change that's not behind them and they're on the other end of it where they think the older stuff was better instead of the other way around.

Ultimately, I think it all depends on how adaptable people's tastes are. I think PIC was designed for people who like TNG and DSC, or would like both if they were done PIC's way.

Last edited:
It's no more divisive than there are "entitled fans" or anyone else. Different producers and writers won't always toe the line. That doesn't make anyone who doesn't like it akin to Satan's dirtiest day either.

Granted, for when ratings go down, that alone suggests something... and professional critics are iffy. But Rotten Tomatoes has even ditched putting up professional reviews, can't imagine why... It's sci-fi, it's always been niche. Very little will be legitimately 100% and, yes, Citizen Kane - like any form of art since that's what entertainment is - isn't liked by 100% of everyone too.

It's that simple.

Oh there are definitely entitled fans. Absolutely. Most fans aren't though and that's true of most things. They're in the minority. And I'm sorry, calling "fake news" on critics is nonsense to me. Got a link to your assertion that RT has ditched putting up professional reviews? I find tearing down the legitimacy of the system to be lazy, cynical thing to do.

People don't seem to be forgetting but having a rose tinted glasses effect around Berman era, as though it never had struggles or issues.

It blows my mind, literally, the expectation of perfect execution at times that I feel like I'm reading. The most positive reaction I have seen around Picard is "I can't wait to see what they do in Season 2." or "I hope they explore X more in Season 2."

I don't know...maybe I'm being too kind to Picard and DSC but I just don't feel like this season was the huge mess that others do.

To be honest, you're in a bubble. People generally don't feel the way you seem to think about this show. Star Trek fans complain about Star Trek. It's what they do. Look at the user ratings on this very board. Overwhelmingly positive. Upset people talk loudest.

To be honest, you're in a bubble. People generally don't feel the way you seem to think about this show. Star Trek fans complain about Star Trek. It's what they do. Look at the user ratings on this very board. Overwhelmingly positive. Upset people talk loudest.
That's fair. But, man, I seem to find the loud and upset people all over.

IMO, it's only "divisive" if you're of the opinion that Trek has to look a certain way (Berman-era):
  • Reset button. No lasting consequences.
  • Complex moral issues being resolved in an hour.
  • Family-friendly.

Real life doesn't work that way.
Art, by nature, is supposed to be divisive.

That's why when I'm faced with seeing a movie or watching a new TV series that appears to have near-unanimous praise, that's a huge strike against it for me. I go into it less open-minded, because I just can't accept it's as AMAZING as it's made out to be.

No, I won't actually.
Because you refuse to compare the two works or you just haven't seen GiTS?

Not really. Each person has to come to grips with who they are, including Soji and Dahj, and Picard has to recognize his identity outside of Starfleet.
It does feel glossed over considering this is one story that took place over the course of ten hours. Look at Dahj. She finds out people are out to kill her and she might not be human, but she just trusts Picard for some reason. And then she dies. Considering the amount of run-time the show was allotted and the significance of a character in the story finding out their whole life is a fiction, it was fast tracked and the concept wasn't allowed to breathe. And probably because it's been done before, and better, in more prominent mainstream sci-fi in recent years.
I didn't get the idea of Picard recognizeing his identity outsidie of Starfleet. He's doing the same thing he always did, "saving the galaxy" like Seven said, and Raffi said he's "Starfleet to the core."

Yup, not going to see eye to eye on this one. Somehow the more violent nature of these deaths makes it more juvenile?
Yeah. It's more akin to a generic Hollywood action movie. Or in the case of Icheb, the opening to something like Saw or Hostel. There's nothing wrong with depicting violence or, if need be, graphic detail. But it wasn't done in a very mature fashion as alleged earlier, but in something very typical of Hollywood mainstream films aimed, ironically, at general audiences. Seven is pretty much Rambo, Arnold, the Punisher and Liam Neeson rolled into one, blowing away the bad guys. The one person who dies of natural causes is immediately resurrected through a magic cure. It comes across like some fan-fiction at times.

That's why I said "very few easy answers" not "no easy answers." But, thank you for picking it apart.
Considering how many things got easily resolved by the end of the final episode I think it's a fair criticism.
Picard is willing to sacrifice his life for Soji and her people...but not really because we have the back-up gollum body so Picard is back. And we also made it perfect in that it's not perfect: no super human abilities, no immortality, so Picard regains all his frailties that make him human. Except that one genetic disease that gave Picard a natural death.

Jurati murdering her former lover? Hey, it's all good, because her human mind just wasn't able to process this crazy message that was only compatible with synthetic minds. She's still cracking jokes, and her being a murderer totally doesn't affect her relationship with Rios because we get the nice kiss between the two right at the end.

Soji actually attempted genocide, by successfully calling forth the highly advanced a.i. destroyers of organic life, but luckily for her, when she turns it off, they all just go back home to their own dimension.

Oh and the Zhat Vash actually see Gamendeon occuring, see proof of the evil a.i. demons who can destroy all organic life, but Riker comes through and gives them a John Wayne stand off, and they just say, You win...this time. And they just go back home peacefully.

Starfleet itself banned synths because they went rogue and killed 20,000 people and lit Mars on fire. But they apparently have no problem with synths, despite seeing evil a.i. overlords coming through a portal to commit a Holocaust on all life as we know it, and grant full rights to Beautiful Flower's people.

Yes, and it was a long journey to actually have that happen, rather than just Picard having a speech and being done.
Yeah, it was a long journey because the writers had to pad it out. Picard gave a speech on the synth planet, and it wasn't good enough. Picard had a bit more prep time, and it was his second speech that did the trick.

Guess what? It's not all neatly wrapped up. The attitude towards synths still exists, Picard's new identity as a synth, the state of the Romulans, and Oh as well.
Since we only have one season to go by, yes, it's wrapped up a little too neatly. Yeah, they're still some threads they can explore for Season 2, but none of it comes across as a more mature approach to the material. I expect the producers to explore fallout for Jurati's actions for Season 2. But it was waved away way too easily in this season. If some woman I slept with was revealed to have murdered an innocent person, let alone her former lover, I'm not going to ignore that and give her a romantic kiss like none of that happened.

Seven herself just witnessed a small massacre but she's getting flirty with Raffi and they all are giddy waiting for Picard to do his classic "Engage" line. You'd think, despite preventing Ganmedon, they'd be some somber individuals. Soji's sister died a violent death. Seven's people were slaughtered. Jurati murdered the man she loved.

Contrast that with TNG I at least know these threads will be picked up rather than just warped out of existence.
Which is ironic because they both make use of the reset button. And I'm pretty sure that TNG continued threads and didn't drop everything. Worf had sex with Keh'lyr. A couple years later it turns out she gave birth to their son. And later on, Worf being a single father played a part in several stories.
Picard lived a whole life time as man with a wife, children and grand children. Later on, it's shown that he still plays the flute that he played in that fake life, and confides in this unique experience with a woman he becomes involved with.
But yeah, way more often than not, TNG hit the reset button.
But considering the amount of time we had for a single story with PIC, and considering it was supposed to be a more "mature" approach to the material, I would expect something slightly more sophisticated, and less typical of the usual mainstream Hollywood action stuff.

And there is no way he could have done that in Episode 1. That's the whole point of the story is Picard moving out of his depressed, despairing mode, and focusing on his capabilities and his skills, his own personal integrity. It's classic psychology at its finest.
I get that. The old gunslinger coming out of retirement, except instead of a six shooter, speeches are Picard's weapon of choice. Except, Episode 1 of PIC is Picard doing what he usually does, trying to save the day. It's not like we see him struggling with this. Dahj gets blown up in front of him, and he won't stand for this. He has to find out who's responsible and solve this mystery.

As I stated, I don't know if we will see eye to eye. There is so much glossing over of themes and character moments, specifically with Picard, and his personal integrity vs. his despair, that I think is exemplified beautifully in Episode 10.
I'm perfectly aware of the themes that are on display. It's the choice of those particular themes and/or how they were executed that I find fault with. "Death, purpose and legacy" are themes that you can find in the average Marvel/DC film. Superman even died in Batman v. Superman, only to come back in Justice League.

As something more in-line with JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot, I think it did a decent job of going after a larger audience. But on it's own, and considering that this was supposed to be a more mature story, I think it's very weak. It's funny that Stewart was against fan service and yet, it seems like the most liked episode, aside from Data's send-off, was his reunion with his former crew and TNG alumni Riker and Troi. "Shields up!" "Red Alert!"

Last edited:
Back