Spoilers Variety about the future of Star Trek

American Graffiti utilized a nostalgic setting to bolster and enrich the coming-of-age story of a group of kids growing up in a small California town. Its story could be told without the nostalgic framing.

Picard season 3’s story was made up of nostalgia bits strung together into a plot that couldn’t really exist without the memberberries.

Prodigy season 2’s plot went with the former method, rather than the latter.

Picard season 3’s story was made up of nostalgia bits strung together into a plot that couldn’t really exist without the memberberries.

The actual plot could easily have been been kept the same without bringing the TNG actors back. As someone else pointed out, it's Hunt for Red October and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Is that good or bad? I really can't figure out if that's what the majority likes/wants anymore.

Essentially, memberberries are fine when presented in a specific manner...I think.

That's the gist I'm getting.
Actually, all you have to do is look at the first 10 movies to see the difference. They had just enough references and call backs to show the producers did their homework while firmly placing the films in the universe of the series they were following up on.

They didn't have an overabundance of them. They were like sprinkles on a cupcake. Picard S3 was dropping references left, right and center, even to shows and movies Picard himself had no connection with. James Horner music in spacedock? Why?

LD, for what I understand, is pretty much all about the references, call backs and guest spots. It was impressive in the 80's because it showed effort and caring on the part of Harve Bennett and the others. But the movies were about going forward, not looking back.

As someone else pointed out, it's Hunt for Red October and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
I've both read the novel and seen the movie of Red October and neither has any similarity to Picard S3. At all. Even after you strip away the nostalgia, the basic storyline of Picard S3 is a bunch of senior citizens who were yesterday's heroes band together once again to save today's youth from their overreliance on modern technology which has turned against them. Red October meanwhile is about a decorated naval officer who chooses to defect and the fallout this generates.

I've both read the novel and seen the movie of Red October and neither has any similarity to Picard S3. At all. Even after you strip away the nostalgia, the basic storyline of Picard S3 is a bunch of senior citizens who were yesterday's heroes band together once again to save today's youth from their overreliance on modern technology which has turned against them. Red October meanwhile is about a decorated naval officer who chooses to defect and the fallout this generates.
I mean, I guess there are some broad similarities -- in the same sense tic-tac-toe has broad (board?) similarities to chess.

James Horner music in spacedock? Why?

Because their stupid-looking ship resembled the Enterprise from TWOK when it left spacedock.

LD, for what I understand, is pretty much all about the references, call backs and guest spots.

It's like taking a bath in memberberry juice.

Picard and Riker.
Regular officers don't go around stealing ships which lead them to being on the run from the establishment they're part of. For all intents and purposes, they fit the role of defectors in the story.

That's a bit of a stretch.

Red October (The Film. The book is quite different, with Ryan being mostly b-plot fodder.) tells the tale of an exhausted and dismayed ship captain who sees his nation crumbling because of opportunist and corrupt leaders and his fear of what they might do with the terrible new weapon they've created.

PIC is about two old dudes who circumvent a few rules to get passage on a ship to go find one of their own past girlfriends.

Maybe Star Trek can tell a story about someone trying to defect from another power.

I'm sure there's a catchy title out there, but as a working title I suggest "The Defector!"

Has a ring to it.

I guess I saw things differently. I erroneously saw a fun story where it seems that everyone else in the world watching the show seemed to just see old people sitting at a table talking about past stories for 10 hours with nothing else happening. Guess I'll end this here. Apologies.

I had a blast with Picard S3, it’s tied with SNW S1 for my favorite thing from the current era of Star Trek.

Largely neither here nor there, but just, like, I don’t know. Solidarity! Team Picard! Go, Titan! Or something.

I guess I saw things differently. I erroneously saw a fun story where it seems that everyone else in the world watching the show seemed to just see old people sitting at a table talking about past stories for 10 hours with nothing else happening. Guess I'll end this here. Apologies.
Sense.

This made none.

People disagreed on the comparison to Red October. No one said the story wasn't fun (it was) or that nothing happened (stuff did).

I'm not even the biggest Season 3 fan and I thought it was fun (my Trek Grinch heart grew a size that day).

Sense.

This made none.

People disagreed on the comparison to Red October. No one said the story wasn't fun (it was) or that nothing happened (stuff did).

I'm not even the biggest Season 3 fan and I thought it was fun (my Trek Grinch heart grew a size that day).

You literally said "a plot that couldn’t really exist without the memberberries."

I was just trying (failing?) to show it was more than that with obviously poor comparisons.

Back