Spoilers Variety about the future of Star Trek

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Visitor1982, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

Since when has ANY post-2005 show pleased everyone?

Strange New Worlds most certainly hasn't ("Nurse Chapel's done gone woke!" :rolleyes: )

I could've done without the musical episode, thank you very much. :shifty:

Let's stick to Jack and the La Forge sisters.

There's no need to bring EVERYONE aboard Legacy (No Miral Paris or Kestra Troi-Riker :rolleyes: ).

I've likened Legacy to Better Call Saul (which is a spin-off of Breaking Bad).

How can someone who's never seen BB watch Better Call Saul?

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say even before that.

Daddy Todd, Danja and cooleddie74 like this.
  3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ENT was the most divisive thing in Trek until DSC came along.

Firebird, Danja and fireproof78 like this.
  4. fireproof78

Maybe Abrams Trek helped take some heat off, what with the heresy accusations I saw.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, the Kelvin Timeline stirred up a hornet's nest but I remember thinking at the time that it's in an acknowledged alternate timeline so that'll explain most discrepancies, but man, that didn't stop some fans from even taking a changed timeline too personally and claiming JJ's films were an insult to the franchise.

saddestmoon, Firebird, Danja and 3 others like this.
  6. TerryTrek

TerryTrek Captain Captain

Star Trek 2009 was a major win. It rejuvenated the dead franchise and made Star Trek 'cool' for mainstream mass audiences, temporarily. It did well enough that the existing aging Trek fanbase really didn't matter, it wasn't made for them.

Paramount just dropped the ball with the uninspired STID, and the four year wait for it. Momentum was killed.

The best thing they could do is attempt to do something like 2009 again. A Trek film for mass audiences that's very accessible, young, sexy and opens up a blank slate for new stories.

drt likes this.
  7. fireproof78

And have a plan for a sequel already going. Little bit of merchandising, little bit of video game tie in, some cross platform marketing and off you go.

saddestmoon, Commander Troi and Danja like this.
  8. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    The problem I see for Legacy is, other than seeing Seven, Raffi, and the progeny of the TNG cast, what would the show do that Strange New Worlds isn't doing already? It would be another Enterprise, exploring the galaxy with a mission-of-the-week. What would be the point other than appeasing fans who haven't changed their calendar since 2005?

9. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

The time it takes to get a Trek show into production it could replace Strange New Worlds after it ends.

But if both shows were running simultaneously, a 25th century show it would have the benefit of having continuity at its back instead of slamming into it, just like Lower Decks and Prodigy. It could go a bit Deep Space Nine and continue the stories of the various empires of the time, the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Breen, Bajorians. They could strap one of those post Voyager prototype drives onto the ship and go explore the Gamma Quadrant instead. Just having a different cast of characters would make a big difference to the stories that are told.

And if the worst happens and it's just an exact replica of Strange New Worlds except with Seven instead of Pike, then we get 10 more episodes of Strange New Worlds every year or so. I can live with this.

10. Firebird

This option goes right back to what I was saying. The show would not be existing to tell its own stories - it would only be there to serve prior shows. It's a big galaxy.

To quote the TNG writer's guide:

Danja likes this.
  11. fireproof78

Is before Picard.

12. Ray Hardgrit

Going a bit Deep Space Nine worked fine for Deep Space Nine.

Then a post-Picard show will have even more continuity at its back instead of in its path, and should be even better!

13. Danja

Seven is NOT Pike. :shifty:

Seven is hardcore military. She's nowhere near as warm, fuzzy, and cuddly as Pike.

Pike doesn't have Seven's shady past. Seven was evil incarnate for eighteen years (She's killed and enslaved).

She has a monster inside of her (She came thisclose to going back to the Collective in Picard S1).

The fact that she's NOT an unabashed goody-goody like Pike and Picard is one reason she's always appealed to me. She has a demon on her shoulder.

Legacy will be different because Seven is a different kind of Captain.

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  14. Firebird

Because Deep Space Nine created an entire quadrant of the galaxy we'd never explored before, and it was only the third new series at the time. There was a lot more open road in front of the franchise then.

15. Ray Hardgrit

Yeah, the captain helps set the tone for a series, so even if you put Seven on the bridge of an Enterprise and have her explore strange new worlds, it's going to feel like a different show.

Deep Space Nine only really created the Dominion's back yard and barely ever visited it. The series spent a lot of its time continuing the threads from other shows like Gowron, the occupation of Bajor, the Maquis, Troi's mother, sexism in Ferengi society, Worf being a terrible parent etc. It made these stories its own and rarely left things unchanged, and a Seven of Nine show could also continue threads and make its mark on the Star Trek universe in a way that Strange New Worlds just can't.

Danja likes this.
  16. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to watch Seven be a Captain, I zero interest in jack crusher, whatever la forge's daughters name is and the TNG baggage that comes with.

The Wormhole likes this.
  17. fireproof78

*squints in skeptical Captain Pike face*

Danja likes this.
  18. Danja

Jack is wise beyond his years in many respects and painfully naive in many others.

IMHC:

19. Daedalus

Daedalus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think Legacy was even on the cards until SNW was over. You really can't have two shows running at the same time about the crew of the starship Enterprise.

If/When it does see the light of day, it'll have to be when the money is there to do it. If they had Disney money, and Trek was as popular as Star Wars*, you'd have this in the bag.

Plus, you're unlikely to see half the cast you saw in the closing moments aboard the Enterprise-G, as people would've moved onto other things anyway.

All they'll need is Jeri Ryan, and a new bridge set, and the rest of the show will write itself.

*This isn't supposed to cause an argument btw. Objectively, SW has greater mass appeal. Take me to the giant Star Trek ride if you don't believe me. :p

20. Danja

I'm still thinking that's one reason the show was renewed for S4 when S3 has yet to air (P+ is planning on cancelling it after S4).

Disney is having to cut back as well (They're cutting back from four Marvel series per year to two.)

SNW lost people when it shifted from Disco to its own show.

Daedalus and fireproof78 like this.