USS Enterprise (eventually) on Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by EJD1984, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt short treks would have the budget for that.

2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I found some TOS uniforms on Amazon for $30 apiece, and if there are only Number One and Spock in that Short Trek... :vulcan:

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that they could probably find something similar to The Cage uniforms in any thrift store.

Yistaan likes this.
  4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Precisely.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Actually it matches the model a lot more than the original's "official" (but never stated on the show) size. At under 300m it would be fantastically cramped, especially considering the size of the sets.

I think it demonstrates a lack of design continuity between TOS and the other shows, myself.

But then it was the first series. It gets a pass.

I don't see why they'd need to DSC-ify any of the subsequent 1701 designs. Just ignore the TOS one.

Noah_23, Gonzo and Tuskin38 like this.
  6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well, yes, that's what they already did. To varying degrees of acceptance. And because of that it's doubtful that the rest of the designs will be altered to suit an ambiguous idea of what these ships 'should' look like in 2019. I don't imagine that if we see flashbacks on STP to the Enterprises D and E, that they won't look any different than what Probert and Eaves originally designed.

Just like when Lucas went back and made changes to the original Trilogy: sometimes it's unnecessary and even unwanted to update old things when they were fine just the way they were.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    saddestmoon and CaptainMurdock like this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unnecessary, perhaps, but not to Lucas, who can't help but see what he wished he could have done.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

And if Lucas had made those films just for himself, that would have been fine. But this Star Wars fan believes that it wasn’t necessary.

9. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm fine with the special editions. The continuity with seeing McDiarmid in ESB and Hayden in ROTJ makes the saga flow better, although Hayden as a ghost should have looked older.

Any complaints about the Special Editions could easily apply to TOS and TNG remastered.

10. fireproof78

What is necessary?

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Making me happy. That might sound like entitlement, but hey, I’m the consumer Lucas is selling his product to.

12. fireproof78

No, I appreciate the honesty.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

To be fair, Lucas probably felt that he was giving us a better product with all the changes. But that’s entirely subjective. The Star Wars trilogy is one of the most popular film series of all time. There wasn’t any real reason to change something that was already fine as it was.

14. fireproof78

I guess I see both points of view. All Lucas could see was the flaws, while many in the audience just saw the masterpiece.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to satisfy both.

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I'm trying to wrap my head around your wording here.

Are you saying you think they'll change the -D and -E if they do flashbacks, or are you saying you don't think they'll change them?

16. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

meshweaver has posted a couple galleries (here and here) of nice shots of discovery-verse ships, including the enterprise:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

publiusr, Jesse1066, Rahul and 5 others like this.
  17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Festoon gallery is disappointing, for one trivial reason: it ought to have its own registry number on the hull somewhere.

18. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I don't care if the Disco enterprise is bigger or smaller or whatever it still looks beautiful and doesn't bother me.

19. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

But it doesn’t fit the Chart. How can that not bother you?

(The idea that the TOS ship was also bigger ultimately runs into the TMP version, which was laid out in much more detail at 305 meters, its Jefferies-inspired 20-deck cross-section even showing up onscreen. Or is there a serious canon problem with the Jefferies layout at ten feet per deck or so and eight decks in the saucer as opposed to the unsubstantiated eleven?)

20. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Honestly it doesn't bother me. I can't get that invested in arguing ship size or other fine details, as long as the show is good and what is on screen looks appealing and makes some kind of sense when watched I'm in. Sure we can argue plot and character and other things but I just can't pick details like this and get bogged down in them.

BeatleJWOL and KennyB like this.