USS Enterprise (eventually) on Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by EJD1984, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

No, this makes zero sense. The crew of the Discovery did not see an updated ship, they did not do a double take, they saw a modern Constitution. The only confusion was over it being from their future as they knew where the ship they saw was. Not "that does not look like the defiant" we got a "Put she is on patrol in x sector right now"

Zero confusion.

What ever we see, will be the constitution class of the cage era.

Ronald Held, Crazy Eddie and Serveaux like this.
  2. Mirror Mirror

They are doing this whole line, so I think it might be a given they will do one of the connie when it happens.

3. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Such vitriol for two guys who are just doing what the rest of us are.
    It's like fat people fat shaming fat people.
    How can they chase off new fans? Watching their videos is optional.

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since I've seen people who liked Abrams' Star Trek basically leave a Trek board due to the "not real Star Trek" arguments, it's at least possible...

5. Mirror Mirror

They mock them and have this "This is not trek" point of view. I have seen people leave trek groups and boards because they liked the Kelvin movies and that was not Ok for die hards or people who liked ENT and told they are not "real" fans. Trek as a whole is not seen as very welcoming to new fans because of this type of elitism

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are degrees. Also, I don't hate them or anything. Most of their videos are fine, and in fact, I have enjoyed some of their content. However, on occasion, they say something so eye rolling I almost fall back out of my chair.

Mirror Mirror likes this.
  7. Saul

Well, anything is possible, isn't it? But have they actually chased anyone away from liking something? They are entitled to their opinion. And from the videos I watched their worst crime was saying "the Abrams films were not my Trek". They weren't mine either if anyone here feels like they have to leave this board because that is my opinion.

They haven't mocked anyone. Stop blaming other groups of people with different opinions. Shall we have only boards with people who all like the Kelvin movies and nobody is allowed to have a different opinion?
    If so then welcome to 1984.

These Trekyards guys have not chased anyone away, they haven't mocked anyone, they DO have opinions and they do dislike and like things. As we all do.
    They haven't told anyone to "nob off", they didn't call anyone "Nazi canon keepers". Taking these comments that have been made about them into account I think it's clear to see who is acting elite here and who is trying to chase off who.

8. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What makes zero sense? You're the one not making sense. Lorca doesn't do a double take (though Saru does say "that makes no sense"), but I'm not convinced either way that this is an updated constitution class or a modified defiant. Could be either one. We'll have to wait and see, really.

EITHER WAY that's not what I'm talking about. Even if that's what the real constitution class is, it's not the Enterprise, so we haven't seen it yet. Even if the Enterprise is identical to what we saw this past week, it's not the Enterprise.

Maybe you're confused, but the title and discussion in this thread is, "will we see the Enterprise"-- as in, NCC-1701, with Pike, Spock, Number One, etc.

9. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Got to agree with MM here. These podcasters are not welcoming to different levels of fandom.

burningoil likes this.
  10. fireproof78

Yes, I've seen that because there isn't a free exchange of opinions. It's not just opinions-the conversations move to very toxic and are used as an excuse for bashing Abrams, or Enterprise or what-have-you.

Yes, I've experienced that.

11. ItIsGreen

ItIsGreen Captain Captain

Yes, and I opt not to. I just find the two of them irritating, that's all. Absolutely zero to do with "fat-shaming", or anything else. They annoy me. End of.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just wish their videos had TLDR versions. They could easily summarise their important points in five minutes, and that is about as much I could tolerate to listen them.

Jesse1066, Mad Jack Wolfe and Psion like this.
  13. Saul

So when they interviewed the concept designer for the ships of the Kelvin Universe which they aren't fans of, that is not welcoming to different levels of fandom?

It is YOUTUBE not a message board. At the end of the day it's their videos and opinions. I haven't noticed anything "very toxic" in their videos, even in the ones where they review Kelvin timeline ships.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the episodes where they bring on people who worked on the show, but it does get a bit cringe when they ask them things like 'how do you see this working in universe', when that person really doesn't think of that stuff.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The episode with Sean Hargreaves was all that, and his answers to all the discontinuity questions boiled down to "I was told to do it". I also saw the Pacific 201 episode, a fan film with a deliberately new look for the Trek universe. Every answer question was a variation on "how does this fit with..." and every answer a very polite "It's not trying to!"

I think there's huge potential in a video podcast about Trek ships, but one from people a little more open minded and able to see it as art instead of a rigid continuity that must be adhered to.

16. fireproof78

I was speaking more broadly of my experience on different message boards. But, I realize now that you were speaking of Trekyards specifically and misread it. My bad.

Saul likes this.
  17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Eh. The Trekyards guys have their annoying tendencies and I can find myself strongly disagreeing with them but I'd rather sit through one of their videos than a Red Letter Media rant about a film I already like or don't. Specialized niche videos from fans are by definition hit or miss and the Trekyards guys don't bother me as much as they do some other fans.

18. Mirror Mirror

Saru said "this makes no sense" and Micheal explained that line. The Defiant is from their time, they know it was not missing yesterday. They even explained this with a line about it being on Patrol in "X"sector. They saw nothing odd about the look at all.

When we see the defiant, everyone knows we are seeing what they all look like. The Enterprise and the Defiant looked just a like.Its like saying " Oh we saw the USS Yamato " not the Enterprise, when they look just the same.

19. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're probably right...the Enterprise probably will look like that, but that would be odd.

Was the model shown on the computer screen from Discovery's database, or from the recovered vulcan data tapes? If it's the latter, you'd think that a hundred+ year old ship, that's still in use, would've gone through dramatic changes.

20. cbl1

cbl1 Commander Red Shirt

I was under the impression that the model shown on the computer screen was from the Discovery's database not the recovered data tape, being it said USS Discovery (and thus what a current Constitution class looks like). Unless they for some reason never renamed it in the MU, as you think they would have.