USS Enterprise (eventually) on Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by EJD1984, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't you mean Kitchen Food Synthesizer? ;)

BillJ likes this.
  2. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Sonic Sink?

CorporalCaptain and BillJ like this.
  3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Who ever looked at a sink and thought "this needs to be more sonic"?

Jesse1066 likes this.
  4. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Umm....

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Umm, a Trill in "The Host" lied about its basic nature and for that reason did not want to be transported - because, as the events of the episode show, this would have meant the well-meaning transporter operator would have biofiltered the Trill to death. Once they got past the lie, all transporter operators would know not to murder innocent Trills with the biofilter.

The episode also established that there's no specific look to a Trill host. We saw two distinct looks in that episode already, the V-ridged one and the Rikeresque one. No reason spotted Kriosians couldn't be a further Trill-compatible host species.

Just about the easiest bit of Trek to "rewrite", really. But remarkably, the same folks who redid the Trill looks also decided not to redo the TOS Enterprise at all, and instead presented it unaltered. Just like every other set of folks resurrecting Kirk's ship so far.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With the NASM model restored.... why use CGI?

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Because it belongs to the Smithsonian and because it would be inadequate.

PixelMagic likes this.
  8. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because that model is 50 years old, made of wood, is now a museum piece, and would never hold up as looking real on screen. There are also no more model shooting crews in Hollywood for that most part. All but completely gone.

With a physical model if 5 different people need to work on shots of the Enterprise, they have to wait in line until person 1, 2, 3, and 4 is done filming the model. With a CG model, you can have all 5 work at the same time.

Beyond all that, The Enterprise would be redesigned for a modern look if it shows up.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Kaelef likes this.
  9. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It also is only finished on one side, is extremely heavy, and has I believe only one mounting point. It would have been unfit for use in 1979, let alone now. It looks fantastic though.

10. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always wondered if the TOS Enterprise could be made to look realistic with the proper lighting and SFX. We mostly associate its on-screen look with the 60s episodes, where it moved clunkily and unrealistically. It also barely had any "motion" sound effects (engine roar, warp sound, etc...). The later CGI Enterprise in the remastered episodes looked just plain cheesy.

How much would it take to truly modernize its presentation? (not that I'm actually in favor of them doing this, I just wonder if the design is given too bad a wrap because of outdated 1960s FX and/or fan films who purposefully copy the outdated FX).

11. Fandango831

Fandango831 Commander Red Shirt

Quoting myself from earlier but hopefully this gives you a relative idea of how the TOS-E could potentially be modernized to fit more modern(2017) visual aesthetics.

12. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

A remade model with proper mountings for post-1977 computer controlled cameras would be fine. Plus CGI and model work from DS9 and ENT worked just fine for the USS Enterprise. The ship has been done in probably every computer graphics engine that exists and has been redetailed to bring her closer to TMP and TNG-VOY level of self-lighting, internal lighting plus windows with sets, and hull texturing. Even the remastered episodes managed to make the various starships of the same class look at least a tiny bit different by lighting different window areas in the neck, in addition to there registry numbers and names (which was not done in the original version).

The Hanzhefu model and somewhat also the 2009 film model remind me of attempting to retro the 1960s model to be a 1950s model vessel based on car aesthetics.

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Fans who like the TOS ship are easily persuaded that it looks good enough. This proves nothing.

saddestmoon and Mirror Mirror like this.
  14. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I LOOOVEEE TOS. But I am not blind to the fact that it's an outdated scifi design that needs to be modernized. The exterior nor interior are at all believable as a piece of future tech in 2017.

TNG itself is also starting to look dated, especially the early seasons, but not near to the degree as TOS.

Kaelef and Mirror Mirror like this.
  15. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

But what does? Self-proclaimed aesthetics experts saying the TOS ship looks like shit (and probably being 100% correct at that) prove nothing, either, as TPTB never listen to them. What they instead do time and again is push the TOS ship to the screen, expecting a suitable segment of the audience to go "Ooh, Star Trek!" and ignoring the rest.

Looking good enough is not a requirement for anything. Conversely, nothing looks good enough anyway - what is supposed to look modern today was hopelessly dated yesterday, and what is supposed to look nostalgic is merely anachronistic. It simply isn't particularly relevant: television projects succeed or fail on other virtues, after which their visual approach gets lauded or derided. And visually, the most arrogant approach tends to triumph, and the timid get forgotten. Perhaps the next Enterprise will be made of brightly colored coarsely torn paper and have two-dimensional adventures?

Timo Saloniemi

Andru likes this.
  16. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Related question(s):

Could we see an NX class ship?

DSC takes place about 90 years after the end of ENT, but given that ships like the Excelsior class were in service for 90+ years (appearing first in ST3 and last chronologically in Voyager's 7th season)-- is it possible that some of the NX class ships are still in service?

Could there have been an NX class ship with an NCC registry, post Federation founding? Perhaps NCC-100 (Likely the earliest numbered ship) was an NX class.

We know in-story they were a few years away from launching NX-03 and NX-04, so is it possible that, 20 years after ENT, they were still launching new ships in the NX class?

Plausibly, I'd say yes, given that, particularly in that time period, starship production was probably slower, so more important than it would become to keep older ships in service. Maybe they've been upgraded or refitted (maybe we could finally see the refit version planned for season 5), but it would be neat to see one, even if in the background at a starbase.

Alternatively, it was theorized that NX-04 was named "Discovery", so perhaps that becomes canon and we get an image and mention of it, as the namesake of NCC-1031.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I think we'd see an NX class ship before we saw a Constitution class ship. Even if it was a flashback to an earlier point in history.

18. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think you're probably right, given real-world circumstances. Which is funny, considering it's more plausible in-universe to see a Constitution which we KNOW is in service!

19. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

Would it be even more fan wank for it to be an NX-refit?

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally I hope Doug Drexler's NX-01 refit never makes it on screen. Sorry, I just don't see why they have to make everything look like a Starship/Constitution Class so quickly/obviously.

I really do think (and also think it was the Producer's intention to intimate that the U.S.S. Shenzhou is in the 'design linage' and a progression of the NX Class ships. YMMV of course. ;)